Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • PSA – Cheap dvds at asda
  • timdrayton
    Free Member

gattaca, to love honour and obey, wierd science (lots of others which i had already, so wierd science was a bit of a random one, good film though!)

for £5 for all 3

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Have they got Titanic? If so, I'm there

ebygomm
    Free Member

Gattaca was the very first DVD I bought, 11 or so years ago now.

DVD cases back then were clear plastic like CD cases. Didn't even really know what DVD was at the time, just knew that my new super dooper computer could play them! How times change

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It is indeed a marvellous film…Uma Thurman…yum yum…I think it might have been the first time she came to my attention. Seymour-Hoffman steals the show though, as ever.

simon_g

Gattaca was one of my early ones too. Double sided disc as well, 4:3 on one side, widescreen on the other…

edit: apparently there are plans afoot for a TV series within the Gattaca "world" – could be interesting. http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2009/11/12/exclusive-gattaca-tv-series-details-from-writer-and-ncis-producer-gil-grant/

Drac

DVD cases back then were clear plastic like CD cases

I've never had a one like that all mine have been book style ones, got my first DVD player about 15 years.

simon_g

Gattaca is the only one I have like that but I remember a few others. Think it was just one of the studios putting out movies in the clear cases.

Drac

So they didn't really come in cases like that then. 😛

ebygomm
    Free Member

15 years?

The first DVD players were introduced in Japan in November 1996, and DVD players were first available in the United States in March 1997

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_player#History

Drac

about 15 years.

See the about bit there, I wasn't sure exactly when.

ebygomm
    Free Member

In my world less than 13 years ago isn't about 15, but hey ho. In 1998 the huge selection of DVDs (about 20) that HMV sold all came in tall plastic cases. Could be that they were all from the same studio as someone mentioned above, maybe other places hadn't started putting stuff out on DVD?

Drac

In my world less than 13 years ago isn't about 15,

Well 2 out is hardly a mile off and given it's still only January it's only just 13 really now.

Not sure if it was studios or not but never seen any in the small boxes.

simon_g

It wasn't smaller, it was similar to what is now the standard DVD case size, although a little taller. Construction was very similar to a CD jewel case though, with a separate front/book and spine/back paper parts, and the casing itself all made of clear plastic. iirc the original DVD release of Lock Stock & 2 Smoking Barrels was the same.

In the early days of the format they didn't seem to have decided on the black plastic (amaray) cases that everyone uses now – I imported quite a few R1 DVDs and lots of those were in the "snap" cases with the cardboard front and the side bit that snaps in place.

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/DVDs/Packaging/

simon_g

Aha, finally found a pic:

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Yeah simon g i can back you up im looking at a copy of Tomorrow never dies in just such a case on my bookshelf.

Drac

Ah I may have on like that which funnily enough is Lock Stock, that's about it though.

timdrayton
    Free Member

only on stw could a thread about cheap dvd's in asda, degenerate into an "I know more about DVD cases in the early 90's, than yaoo"

Jamie
    Free Member

only on stw could a thread about cheap dvd's in asda, degenerate into an "I know more about DVD cases in the early 90's, than yaoo"

It's a beautiful, beautiful thing isn't it?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘PSA – Cheap dvds at asda’ is closed to new replies.