• This topic has 28 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Dave.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • PSA cheap dropper content
  • dhyetiman
    Free Member

Seen this on a Facebook group I follow. I know some people give it a bad rep, but the reverb gets a slaying off loads of people. However, it’s always been perfect for me, but, this Easton dropper is dirt cheap and wondered if it’s really that bad?

Easton dropper post

craig24
    Free Member

Not much difference in price to the Brand X

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-ascend-dropper-seatpost/rp-prod149024

Also the Plummet is even cheaper and gets decent reviews also –

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.RSP-Plummet-Remote-Dropper-Seat-Post_70234.htm

cokie

Good PSA! Wish this was available when I bought my Brand-x Ascend.
    The Ascend is good value but there is play in all directions straight out the box and the leaver is horrible. The Easton has a nicer leaver and more size & drop options.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Don’t you need to factor in their lever as well or does it come with one?

ogden
    Free Member

The Ascend is good value but there is play in all directions straight out the box and the leaver is horrible.

Send it back under warranty?

My brand x has a tiny little bit of play but nothing anywhere near my giant one did, I’d recommend them to anyone for the price.

bigjim

Hmm interesting, I am very fed up of reverbs failing and my current one has started dropping… again.

nickfrog
    Free Member

The Brand X Ascend is a better choice IME. My friend just got the Easton as it was cheap, and fitted it yesterday. The damping is very poor on the way back up, it’s actually hardly damped. Feels cheap and disconcerting.

Lever is better than the Bx but only if you don’t require an under-bar (1x optimised) lever, which comes as std with the Bx. My Bx is still going strong after a few months of abuse and falls, but it does feel a little flimsy if you tickle it (if that’s your thing, lol). If it does break then it has a 2-year warranty anyway and beyond that, I’ll buy a I-spec 2 Wolf.

For such a brand, I think the Easton is cheap because it’s poor.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I meant the lever is a little flimsy, not the post.

monkeyboyjc

I’ve had my Easton for around 6months now. I swapped out a brand x mainly on vanity – to match my stem etc.
    The brandX was easier to install. But the Easton is much better in use, better quality machining and has a better quality remote, although is a 2x version rather than under bar as standard.
    Doing mountain mayhem a few weeks back I had issues with the Easton post slipping (with a big squeak) when I hit a large bump, but this was down to cable stretch. I’ve since readjusted and it sorted. Other issue is that you can’t leave the post in the down position over night as it looses pressure, so could be an issue for those with tight storage. I’ve also upgraded to the 1x remote (also In the crc sale for £25) which is a big improvement on the BrandX one – smoother action and better clearances.
    The brandX has an advantage in that it’s a sealed cartridge system so doesn’t require as much maintenance – I owned one for about 8months and didn’t have to touch it, the Easton has been off one in 6months. Between the two if I were buying again, id stick with the Easton.

Now it’s got the reduced price the Easton is an absolute bargain. Remember you can get further discount with British cycling membership as well!!

Posts I’ve owned in the past 5 years – reverb, ks ETen, Thompson and x fusion. All of these (Inc Thompson) had issues within months of purchase, the Easton and brandX have been the most reliable for me.

dhyetiman
    Free Member

Great reply thanks, seems a 50/50 split

Goldigger
    Free Member

Don’t forget code WHSE2017 gets you another £10 off clearance items…
    Tempted for £112.49!

monkeyboyjc

it’s actually hardly damped

Pressure is adjustable on the Easton – may be he should check his pressure? where as it’s fixed on the cartridge system of the BrandX. Forgot to mention that….
    I like a quick return (ball smacking), so if your into BDSM then the Easton would be a better choice.

If you need to change pressure on Easton the valve is located under the seat clamp which is an arse to get too (if you get to the carpark and realise you left the saddle down over the last week so it’s lost pressure 😳 – as I have done)

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Isn’t the Easton just a badging exercise, same post as the Raceface and a few others? I saw it on some promo email then read the CRC reviews, which were pretty damning.

Goldigger
    Free Member
    psycorp
    Free Member

I considered the Easton until I read the reviews on CRC.

Got a Brand x in the end for £105 instead.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I thought this was the bargain of the century when I spotted it a few days ago, then I saw the reviews..

I’d rather have a post that wasn’t as good but worked all the time (brand x) than a great post that only worked 50% of the time…and those reviews are pretty horrific…

Big-Bud
    Free Member

ubyk brand x post £100.00 del
    Easton @ crc you may aswell throw your money in the bin

why do reverbs get such a digging because to date they have outsold the completion 8000/1 so yes you will here more people slating as they have a 80% share in the market over the completion so more sold more failures
    imo even though the b1 is a pina its still the best post out there
    only eclipsed by the new fox transfer which when all in is over £400.00 with a lever

dhyetiman
    Free Member

Think I’m going to have to stick with what I know with reverb, they were also 125ish on the above link a week or so ago but appear sold out now. Starting to wish I’d got one when I saw them

nickfrog
    Free Member

Now it’s got the reduced price the Easton is an absolute bargain. Remember you can get further discount with British cycling membership as well!!

I don’t believe you can cumulate the £10 clearance discount and the 10% BC code.

Pressure is adjustable on the Easton – may be he should check his pressure? where as it’s fixed on the cartridge system of the BrandX. Forgot to mention that….

Thanks. I’ll let him know.

monkeyboyjc

why do reverbs get such a digging

Because the 1st ones had a high fail rate – out of around 10 posts between myself and my mates 9 failed and went back for warranty. But because dropper posts were a ‘new’ (ie mass marketed) idea, we weren’t all that passed off about it as all droppers (other than the gravity dropper) were very very unreliable. It’s took around 5 years of development for manufacturers to get reliable posts on the market and even now at the smallest quibble we slate a post as unreliable.

they were also 125ish on the above link a week or so ago

That was the 2010 version (7years old) which had very bad reliability, of any post I’d stay away. Think your self lucky that they sold out.

psycorp
    Free Member

For anyone complaining about the Bx lever being flimsy, which it is, I replaced it with one of these:

CLICKY

Much more solid and also works with an RSP Plummet (I also found the Plummet lever to be crap).

The Bontrager lever also makes installation easier as the cable clamps at the lever end rather than the post end.

nickfrog
    Free Member

The Bontrager lever also makes installation easier as the cable clamps at the lever end rather than the post end.

Thx psycorp. Good to hear. So you can use the bit at the end of a normal gear cable (not sure what it’s called) on the post end and not have to use the screw-on bit supplied but clamp the cable directly onto the lever like a rear mech ?

the00
    Free Member

I ‘thought’ that these used the mechanism from 9point8, used under licence. However, the CRC description says hydraulic, whereas the 9point8 is mechanical. Does anybody know?

The 9point8 website FAQs used to have a statement about poor reliability in Easton posts being down to inadequate manufacturing tolerances. You would hope that new ones should have fixed that, but there’s no knowing where these posts came from and how old they are.

I have a 9point8 post, and really rate it. I’m tmpted by the Easton, even though I don’t need it :-S

daern
    Free Member

Daft question, but do any of the current cheap dropper posts allow you to tune how far the post rises?

I want to get one for my son, but he’s just fractionally too small for the current posts – e.g. the BX one rises 120mm, but with the post set fully into the frame, this rise will be about 1″ too high for him.

Obviously, I can just put a rigid post on for now until he’s tall enough, but it would be nice to get the dropper straight onto the bike while it’s in build (especially as the internal cable routing is a pig to do and needs a full frame strip!)

nickfrog
    Free Member

Yes most are infinitely adjustable but you can’t set a limit, at least not on the Brand X.

daern
    Free Member

Thanks, that’s may understanding too. Oh well, he’ll just have to eat more Weetabix!

psycorp
    Free Member

@nickfrog

I just threaded the bulb(?) end of the cable through the cradle on the end of the post that should hold the cable clamp that it comes with, then clamped the bare cable end into the Bontrager lever.

Been fine so far.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Cheers !!

nickfrog
    Free Member

Having spent 2 consecutive pre-ride unplanned “sessions” helping my mate’s fix his brand new Easton, I would strongly recommend NOT to buy one, even if it’s free.

Way too many moving parts. An engineering catastrophe.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘PSA cheap dropper content’ is closed to new replies.