Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PSA: Cheap Bell Stoker
  • woody2000

Not the best colour, but I’ve grabbed one – £27.04 from Amazon

Linky

Found using Pricespy, something I’ve never used before

http://pricespy.co.uk/product.php?pu=2245043

cynic-al
    Free Member

They were £20 in Halfords, TBH I thought it was more like a £40 helmet than a £60 one

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How warm are they?

I need a new lid, but usually opt for something cheap and XC like a Giro Phase (or in the past a Xen and an E2 when they were in a really good sale).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woody2000

Ventilation is supposed to be good TINAS, has the same “over brow” venting as the Super. Don’t have mine yet so haven’t tested it. I couldn’t find any of the £20 ones Al, went to 3 of the local Halfrauds to no avail.

wombat

I got one from Halfords for £20 a while back, very comfy but not massively vented, I’m keeping it for cold weather use.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Halfords was ages ago. My point was it’s an OK buy for £20-30, not much more IMO!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

has the same “over brow” venting as the Super.

hmm, mine doesn’t (and I own a Stoker and a Super).

It’s a cheaper-finished lid than the Super but once your’e wearing it is surprisingly comfortable and well vented.

woody2000

Odd that CTM, all the reviews I’ve seen bang on about that feature, even for the earlier models.

This pic from a 2013 review seems to show it (top right)?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

hmmm again, not got the lid with me and no idea what that little thing is in the bottom right pic near to the the Bell logo, but in terms of my Super it has vents in the front of the helmet at the brow that feed in through the pads, bottom pic here

of which the Stoker has no equivalent.

Either way I was surprised how good the basic “cookie cutter” vents are on the Stoker, did 4 days in N Wales a couple of weeks ago when it was mid 20Cs and was fine. Well worth the 17 quid I paid (one of the lime green Halfords specials with BC discount).

razorrazoo

I think the ‘over brow’ venting is just the channels which run from the bottom front of the helmet. From the top right pic, on the Stoker these are just plain channels, on the Super they have a fancy plastic cover over and vented pads which may/may not improve the ventilation, but effectively it is the same ‘feature’.

I just picked up a Bell Variant in my Halfords for £20 (stack of random clearance helmets sitting to one side), well happy at that price, will make a perfect commuter / gravel helmet, rather than use my more ‘nduro’ lids.

pictonroad

I run hot but this helmet was unbearable for me as an MTB helmet, like a head cooker. Been relegated to short commuting for which it is spot on.

binners

Its pretty bloody warm in the summer. I’ve actually switched back to my Giro Hex recently as its miles better vented.

Seeing as summer seems to be over though….

Harry_the_Spider

I got one for £20 at Halfords. The fit is good and it is reasonably light. I use it for commutes so don’t wear it for more than 30 mins, but I’ve not noticed that it is poaching my bonce.

The Floro-Green colour make me more visible to motorists, apart from the one in the silver Passat estate with the ladders on top driving from the bottom of the A627(M) towards Middleton at 4:50 last Thursday. He didn’t see me at all. ****.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Cheap Bell Stoker’ is closed to new replies.