• This topic has 100 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)
  • PSA: Cheap Amazon Echo Dot for Sonos owners
  • bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I have sonos stuff but no email yet.

Who do I need to sulk at to get a code?

sadexpunk

tried the cheeky facebook message ^^^ didnt work, asked me for the email address registered. oh well :-/

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Already got 2 dot’s so no need for another. Let me know if you want my code.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I hadn’t registered my account with Sonos apparently? I have now through the app and messaged them for a code but I think I’m being ignored.

If you don’t mind, I’d happily take your code please tenacious doug (and will pass mine on if Sonos pull their finger out).

sharkbait
    Free Member

Although I dislike facebrag I may have found a use for it! Sent a message saying I’d not had an email with the offer, they’ve replied asking for registered email address and will then supply the code.

Sounds promising.

sharkbait
    Free Member

….. Yay, sorted. Sent the code and Dot purchased. Will be playing with that tomorrow.
    Also going to look into controlling my Raspberry Pi with the Dot.

sadexpunk

im still here if anyone has a spare code or ‘registered email address’ i can use to get one? 😉

Rubber_Buccaneer

sadexpunk – Member 
    im still here

Email incoming, shout if you don’t get it

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Ah! Missed sadexpunk was in the queue before me (sorry!)

If anyone else has one?

sadexpunk

Thanks RB, I’ve got the email and I’ll order one tonight. Thanks a lot mate 🙂

al2000

Spare code here if anyone is after one – PM me if you would like it.

al2000

Code gone – that was quick!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Cheers Al! Much appreciated, I owe you a pint.

And sorry again sadex (eeek smiley).

KidCragg
    Free Member

Brought one with the code but alas no luck with Spotify via my sonos. Gonna give it a week to see if the missus gets on with it for other stuff if not will be selling it on.

Feel free to message if you are after one!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Spotify won’t work yet.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Roight, mine’s arrived. Before I unbox it, this spotify thing…is it only the free version that doesn’t work? I checked on the spotify website and it says it works with Alexa – but there is a line further down saying “You need Premium to listen to Spotify with Alexa.”[i] So what’s the story?

docrobster
    Free Member

Set mine up today. I’m not using it with Sonos, rather as a way to use Spotify and tune in radio in the bedroom, as an alarm clock etc. Happy to keep using the Sonos app or controller or even Spotify connect to control the Sonos components in the rest of the house.
    Spotify works fine using it as a stand alone speaker, or through an attached speaker. Only premium though, not the free version.
    Had a bit of a problem setting Spotify as the default music service. The Alexa app wouldn’t do it but was able to using a web browser version of the app after some googling.
    Also found out my little Bluetooth speaker is too old to pair with it (needs a 4 digit pin) so had to find an aux cord. Oh the horror.
    Great bit of kit for £25

mrblobby
    Free Member

You can’t get Alexa to play something using Spotify on the Sonos. It’s not supported. Yet.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Does it support Apple Music on Sonos? (crosses fingers).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You can’t get Alexa to play something using Spotify on the Sonos. It’s not supported. Yet.

Is that just a UK thing (for now)?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Only services supported anywhere for now are…

Amazon Music
    Pandora
    iHeartRadio
    TuneIn Radio
    SiriusXM

Claim is that Spotify is being worked on.

stanfree
    Free Member

Spotify works fine with Alexa if not using Sonos, I’ve been using for weeks now .

dmorts

Only services supported anywhere for now are…

Amazon Music
    Pandora
    iHeartRadio
    TuneIn Radio
    SiriusXM

Oh…. may not pick it up from the locker then. Currently subscribe to Deezer…

What else can it do?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Quite a lot really!

I doubt I’d have bought one if it weren’t for this thread (and I have Sonos at home). Ordered yesterday, arrived today (love amazon) and with a bit of tinkering it’s now talking to my raspberry pi and switching lights and other stuff on and off around the house [without spending stupid money on wireless bulbs].

Fan
    Tas
    Tic

wilburt
    Free Member

Can we expand on this Raspberry PI intergration thing please?
    Ta

sharkbait
    Free Member

Sure.
    I already use a number of Pi’s with Energenie Pi-mote boards to wirelessly switch light and heaters on and off (simple bit of python code…. and I’m defo no programmer).
    So I’ve now followed this bit of info http://www.instructables.com/id/Control-Raspberry-Pi-GPIO-Using-Amazon-Echo-Fauxmo/
    to make the pi act like a WeMo device which Alexa can control natively.
    All I did was change the Act function to run a script that switches the energenie stuff on and off.

sadexpunk

Oh…….Currently subscribe to Deezer…

same, i may have just bought something thats going to be completely useless to me 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ll buy yours if you want to make a bit of a profit punky

sadexpunk

i wont want to make a profit sharky, ill open it, try it, suss it out to see if itll actually do owt for me, and if not its yours for same price mate.

wilburt
    Free Member

Thank you,

Something of a learning curve there!

Ta

swdan
    Free Member

Yeah deezer doesn’t work, hope they sort it but if they don’t, well it’s only £25. Currently have mine in the kitchen as that’s probably where I’m most likely to want to do hands free stuff. Most useful thing today, setting several timers for the roast dinner, one for the chicken, one for the roast potatoes and one for veg. My 3 year old loves it (even if it doesn’t always recognise her voice yet)

craig_w
    Free Member

Hey,

I didn’t get the email, contacted Sonos UK and have had a reply saying they are no longer issuing codes. Does anyone have a spare one they could send me?

Thanks

Craig

siwhite
    Free Member

I’m rather pleased with our Dot that arrived the other day. Some highlights and tips;

– Sonos speakers can be grouped together, and in more than one group. Our kitchen speakers are in their own group, as well as being in the ‘downstairs’ group as well as the ‘everywhere’ group.
    – Lack of Spotify support is a bit annoying, but I’d imagine it’s arrive in due course.
    – Timers and shopping lists are clever and genuinely useful.
    – I imagined that Alexa’s voice would play through the Sonos speakers; not so, only through the Dot.
    – I can see a couple more of these things appearing over the next few months, particularly a Spot when they are released in the UK… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SQYXTW/ref=fs_ods_rk

sadexpunk

just been playing with it, early indications are that itll be totally useless to me 😀

its all set up, i dont particularly need it to work my hifi altho it probably wouldnt do that anyway, its flashing away at me but i cant think of a single thing to say to it right now! we dont have any wifi/nesty type things in the house and it doesnt do deezer either so cant use it with our portable bluetooth speaker, think its just useless to us.

ill wait for wife and kids to get in, see if they can find a use for it, if not im sort of torn between selling it on to sharky ^^^ or keeping it as its only £25 and it may get deezer eventually, but even if it did i just cant see where id use it over my hifi in the house.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

She’s decided she only recognises commands with an Oirish accent. 😆 Which isn’t going well with Mrs DD and dd.

Can’t understand why she can play Spotify herself and play stuff from music library or radio through Sonos but won’t play Spotify through Sonos. The Sonos support website does say they’re working on it though so it’ll arrive in due course.

It’ll do until Apple’s iHomeSpeakerPod arrives anyway. 😉

sadmadalan

Mine set up and seems to be working, really waiting until Sonos make Spotify work correctly. However multiple alarms is really useful when cookimg.

And the best bit – walking into the kitchen and being able to switch on Radio 4 with just my voice!!

sadexpunk

selling mine on to sharky, how do i wipe it? google suggests a tiny hole on base to stick a paperclip in, mine doesnt have that. it does have a ickle hole at the top tho, is that how you do it?

shuhockey
    Free Member

Hi. Spotify is supported, you just need to authorise it on the Alexa App. You can then make it the default music service.

sharkbait
    Free Member

how do i wipe it?

Do you need to? …. it seems that when set it up it will automatically adopt all the settings from my existing dot.

I guess you could remove any calendar or music accounts you’ve added.

Spotify is supported, you just need to authorise it on the Alexa App

I think that’s just from playing directly on the Echo/Dot…. not for playing on the Sonos. Happy to be corrected though.

sadmadalan

Spotify is supported

Correct – but it does not work if you connect your echo dot to your sonos. Even though it is the same account it does not work. You can start playing music from an app and the control it from your voice, but you can’t kick it off.

(I have been told that I can play spotify on my echo dot, but the sound is better through Sonos)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Cheap Amazon Echo Dot for Sonos owners’ is closed to new replies.