Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • PSA Cheap 40c gravel/monster cross tyres
  • tang
    Free Member

Spotted these and they look OK for a trip I have in mind. I’ve gone for the monster option of 29×1.75. Reviews suggest tubeless ok. At 9.99 each I’m going to give them a shot.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vee-rubber-rail-mtb-tyre/rp-prod143157?gs=1&gclid=CKbu85Py-csCFcWVGwod-UoNrw&gclsrc=aw.ds&stop_mobi=yes

tang
    Free Member

Offered up the 29 x 1.75 today on the ENVE cx fork. For 9.99 they look pretty good.

itstig

Which is bigger 29×1.75 or 700cx40 I thought they’re about equal

tang
    Free Member

They come up about 45

spooky_b329

That pic belongs on the Arrghh! My Eye thread!

cookeaa

Which is bigger 29×1.75 or 700cx40 I thought they’re about equal

25.4×1.75 = 44.45, call it 45mm

Cheers OP, I might just give the 700×40 a go, can you confirm tubelessnessness works?

tang
    Free Member

That I can’t yet as I’ve bust my track pump. I’ve heard they do go up.

PJ266
    Free Member

Many thanks! 40mm ordered.

itstig

Anyone have them on a 2×11? I’m finding the front mech arm very close to the tyre in the big ring, currently have 40c bsc gravel roads on, 45 may be 5mm too much.

cookeaa

Thread resurrection/late update.

Ordered several weeks ago but fitted tonight; 700×40 do indeed inflate without tubes, sidewalls don’t seem too porous and they were a comfortable ride (rolling round the block for 20 minutes)…

Measured on my narrow rims (14mm internal) they size up at 38mm so on a wider rim they should be a true 40mm.

I can also confirm they clear my London Road frame and fork with plenty of space, the 29×1.75 would probably have fitted, but I don’t think they would have played so well with the narrow rims…

Plus they’re still on for £9.99 at CRC in 29er versions…

Good PSA OP….

tang
    Free Member

Not got round to tubeless, but I’ll do them on my ENVE XC for a little trip I have planned in a couple of weeks. Rocking a clutch mech and big cassette for the haters! 1.75 and the faintest toe buzz on my sz10s

alexpalacefan

Mine went up tubeless fine, a bit leaky to start, but settled down after a day or so.

APF

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Yes, I can see why you would shop by price and be happy with it some ghetto OE tyres on that build… 😀

Kamakazie

Anyone actually used them yet?
    Currently running On One Gravel Road which I am pleased with but they are even cheaper!

How do they perform in the thin layer of mud type conditions we’ve had recently?

tang
    Free Member

been looking for some 29r 1.75 for ages. I love the wtb nano but wanted something without a centre strip and a bit more on the edge. I can fit 45c so I thought I’d give it a go! I have however, taken the marker pen to the decals….

davidjey
    Free Member

How do they perform in the thin layer of mud type conditions we’ve had recently?

I’ve got them on my ‘cross bike for ‘let’s ride XC on a cross bike’ shenanigans. I’ve done one ride on bridleways in the pouring rain and they were fine for grip, by ‘cross bike standards anyway.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, git them on my Vaya.
    Spotty Dog IMHO.

Kamakazie

Good to hear.
    How is road rolling resistance? Looks like they should be pretty quick!

tang
    Free Member

Lunchtime raz up the woods. I can confirm they are actually pretty good! Far better off road than the nano.

Rik
    Free Member

How much do they weigh?

nuke

Looking for tyres like this for my 29er. Anyone managed to get them on Crests setup tubeless?

alexpalacefan

Tubeless on my 29er Crests fine.

APF

richardthird

How are they on road compared to Nanos please?

nuke

Tubeless on my 29er Crests fine.

Cheers Alex. Were yours the 1.75?

tang
    Free Member

Mine are 1.75, also on crests/enve no probs.

Rik
    Free Member

Tang – do you know what RAL colour your frame is?

Looks ace

alexpalacefan

Hi,
    1.95 on the front, 1.75 on the rear.
    Both went up fine.

APF

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I’m no expert but Teetosugars, I think your car’s on fire. Ordered a couple, let’s hope they get to Spain. Box at our Local PO is our only means of receiving stuff, CRC have always sent stuff RM before but have gone with a courier P2P which may cause problems as the PO is only open mornings 😕

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘PSA Cheap 40c gravel/monster cross tyres’ is closed to new replies.