Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • PSA: Brewdog equity for punks!
  • downgrade
    Free Member

also the fact that they only pay the ‘living wage’. I doubt whether that’s to everyone in the firm

Of all the things to pick on… 😯

Quite possibly it doesn’t apply to everyone in the firm. All their staff in the UK though example link

(Signed, a shareholding wannabe Shoreditch hipster beard, deep v neck, scarf, eco warrior)

rewski
    Free Member

Totally agree

misguided hate, pick on Diageo or carling.

hora
    Free Member

I dont care whether you are big or tiny. I like flavour.

Theres a brewery near Cragg Vale that has gorgeous stout yet Stella makes me want to drink cat piss instead as its so bland.

Caledonian (80shilling) is sublime yet they are big(?)

Brewdog is marketing first, bitter water next. So Im out.

scandal42
    Free Member

Why is the taste of the beer entering any thoughts on whether to invest Hora?

Just interested

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

personal taste as a reason for not investing.

Nope. I don’t think this is a good long term investment. Nothing to do with my taste buds.

patriot_matt
    Free Member

Brewdog is great beer and great marketing. I’ve not got a problem with that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its not investing ….. Its thinly veiled give us yer money save us going to the banks…..

As i quoted earlier the maths does not add up. – its along way from being even close to an investment. 10 pints at the bar for your money would be a more worthy investment imo.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I like BrewDog’s beers for the most part, but it’s definitely not an investment in the usual sense of the word. You’ll help the company grow, and get some freebies out of it, but you have no chance of making any money from it. As someone else pointed out, it’s more akin to a kick started campaign, though you do get a real share and agm presence etc.

Nope. I don’t think this is a good long term investment. Nothing to do with my taste buds.

With this sort of fund raising where you’re ‘investing’ to see the company grow and make more delicious beer rather than aiming to see a return, not liking their beers would be a great reason not to invest.

mefty
    Free Member

With this sort of fund raising where you’re ‘investing’ to see the company grow and make more delicious beer rather than aiming to see a return, not liking their beers would be a great reason not to invest.

Ah so it is giving rather than investing to people who already have made a fortune if their valuation is to be believed.

Drac

Caledonian (80shilling) is sublime yet they are big(?)

Drinkable I’d say but only if there’s nothing else.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was on holiday last week, in between the riding I went to 4 brewery pubs all with a selection along the lines of Brewdog, huge variety of beer from dark to light, malty to hoppy lots and lots of choice. Now that is a good thing. I still appreciate a good English pint when I’m home but there is a lot more flavour out there.

Brewdog have done a lot to put that on the map and move things along from the traditional CAMRA look.
    Anyway £95 gets you 5% off in their bars
    10% off buying their beer
    and an invite to a gig/agm for free

If you drink there a bit or buy a lot of their beer not a bad discount card.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Yeah some of the beers are good, but the free keyring and pen style Sunday supplement investment is for brand fetishists who smoke the hype bone.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Ah so it is giving rather than investing to people who already have made a fortune if their valuation is to be believed.

Giving in return for something, no different from kickstarter etc. And no, I wouldn’t believe the valuation based on the share price, but they’re private shares with a fixed price, I’d not be working out the owners wealth value based on that.

mefty
    Free Member

£25 million is planned to be raised, three directors will own 70% of the company after the fund raising so their share of that £25 million will be £17.5 million.

EDIT: Being invited to an AGM is a legal requirement for all shareholders.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Being invited to an AGM is a legal requirement for all shareholders.

It’s not a legal requirement to include free beer and bands though…

Drac

It should be.

BillMC

Of all the things to pick on…

I just don’t think much of firms that pay £7.65 an hour. It wouldn’t buy a lot of Punk IPA would it?

breadcrumb

I went to a Brew Dog bar in Newcastle a little while back. It was full of tweed wearing trendies and I’ve never seen as many half drunk pints left behind. Coupled with the pricy ale it wasn’t for me.

It does seem a little flavour of the month but I guess they’ll evolve to stay trendy.

Stu_N

I wouldn’t invest more than I could afford to lose. I put money in at EFP II – if the new issue is a fair reflection of value that’s gone up ten-fold. I’ve had my value from discounts and a couple of AGMs.

It’s not a kickstarter thing at all – you have real equity in the company, voting rights etc. The founders own the majority of the business still but they are raising equity to invest. Their beer is good to very good, inconsistency of a couple of years ago seems to have been ridden out. There are many better breweries now but BDog really kicked off “Craft”. They didn’t invent it – it’s a US import – but popularised it and helped pave the way for everyone else. id concede the marketing is better than the beer but they wouldn’t still be around and growing if the beer wasn’t competitive.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I just don’t think much of firms that pay £7.65 an hour”

you obviously dont drink in many bars or shop in many super markets ?

Nick

It’s all too Shoreditch hipster beard, deep v neck, scarf, eco warrior premium product bullshitterie for me,

I’m sure the hipsters hate brewdog as much as everyone else on here, you wont see it next to Wiper and True at the next brewery tap takeover in Shorditch that’s fer sure.

At least they don’t use the term “Artisan” on they marketing.

The whole craft beer movement in the UK owes Brewdog, they opened up the market for more flavoursome, interesting, odd beers. They have sold beers by other brewers and done collaborations for years, and they have made a shit load of money in the process, good luck to them.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

While I think you’d be silly to see this as a serious investment propositions, I bought shares at £23 for 5p shares in 2011, this time they are selling 1p shares at £47. While I can’t freely trade them, they did open it up to trading for a short window last year, I know people that sold them for a pretty healthy return.
    Not that I’ve got any intention of selling them on, I always saw it as a chance to make a small contribution towards a business that has helped shake up the entire UK beer industry for the better, I’m not a particular fan of their own beers though, but I do get good discount on an interesting range of guest stuff in their bars and shops.

RustySpanner

I’ve not been in one.
    Their beer’s quite nice though.

I do like quirky individual pubs and breweries.
    But I also love finding unfamiliar Holts, Lees or Robbies pubs – they have a house style that can be comforting when cast into the outer darkness – Oldham say, or Macclesfield.

Stu_N

I’m basically coming at this from same place as tenacious doug. EFP II was supporting someone doing something different at the point it was either going to break through or flounder, and a company that if nothing else had passion for what it did and was trying to do things well.

I invested £300 which is now worth about £3k on the EFP IV valuation. EFP IV is a much more serious proposition, you’re basically going in on growth prospects, but they are are a growing company in a growing market so the valuation isn’t ridiculous. Again the risks are fairly obvious and you’re not going to make an EFP I or EFP II “on paper” return and I don’t see them doing the build/ sell to one of the big guys type of thing so no easy exit. it’s not a hard nosed commercial proposition but if you think you’re not going to lose long term and have the cash you can tie up for a number of years it’s worth a punt IMO. I’ll probably add about same again to my “investment”.

mefty
    Free Member

At least they don’t use the term “Artisan” on they marketing.

Ahem

If you invest £950 or over in Equity for Punks, you
    will automatically receive a year’s membership to our
    Abstrakt Addicts beer club. This means we will send
    you three bottles of the next four releases of our most
    artisanal, experimental beers.

kcal

As an EPF II investor, I’m pleased with e number you quoted above StuN !!

Twist or stick, twist or stick? 🙂

mike_p
    Free Member

By all means buy the beer if it’s your thing, but anyone considering investing in this is allowing the product and its marketing to influence their judgement. Purely as an investment it’s hard to see any merit whatsoever, it’s overpriced and illiquid.

Northwind

If you actually buy and drink the stuff, go to their bars etc then the discounts are worth more than the price of a small investment alone. If you’re looking at it as a Serious Investor and not a brewdog fan you’ve probably missed the point.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

One of the two main guys (business guy, not brewing guy) is leaving the company shortly.

Wonder if this is a whip round for him?

kcal

I suppose if they were stock exchange listed that would be pertinent information — I guess not, as they’re not full listed. Still, it would be handy to know that!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

One of the two main guys (business guy, not brewing guy) is leaving the company shortly.

[video]https://youtu.be/TL7xrE9EYd4[/video]

Unless of course you are actually James Watt in disguise, in which case I bow to your superior sources. Though in that case, you’d probably know what your own name was.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

People who work at the Brewdog brewery told me a couple of weeks ago.

Stu_N

Yourguitarhero – really?

Seems unlikely – if it’s James Watt or Martin Dickie who were leaving I’d expect that to be a material fact for this offering so you’d would have to disclose it in the prospectus.

chewkw
    Free Member

I am craving for Cornish Pilsner at the moment … arrghhh … It is my current favorite.

Cornish Pilsner is good.

I will try Brewdog next time.

squirrelking
    Free Member

artisanal

Is that an indicator of how far up it’s own arse it’s likely to be?

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Brewdog equity for punks!’ is closed to new replies.