Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • PSA: Brewdog equity for punks!
  • KidCragg
    Free Member

Brewdog are fund raising again by selling shares. The aptly named equity for punk IV

https://www.brewdog.com/equityforpunks

Minimum is £95 for 2 shares with discount for shareholder online and in their bars.

A free beer on your birthday for life, a £10 Brewdog beer token, and invites to annual AGM amongst other benefits.

So get involved and help them out.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m already helping them out most weekends, hic!

geoffj

<snob> But you can buy it in Aldi and Wetherspoons</snob>

toby1

I’m vaguely interested in this, but aside form the niche points I’m not clear on whether this actually makes for a good investment or not. Would there be a dividend and then the potential increase in value should the company ever go public?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“They value the equity in the company at £119m, have only £15m in net assets, £30m in revenue, £2.5m in Net Income, and the shares are illiquid. Sounds like an expensive hobby!”

im no expert but the little i do know means im out….

i like the beer but not “that” much…. id rather just pay my 1.49 in aldi.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or, rather than support a marketing company that dabbles in rather dull beer, find a good local brewery near you and buy some beer from them instead.

dragon
    Free Member

So get involved and help them out.

They aren’t a charity. They are a couple of blokes trying to get rich by selling okay-ish beer (some of it’s terrible mind) with fancy marketing.

BillMC

I’d be a bit concerned about their rapid expansion and also the fact that they only pay the ‘living wage’. I doubt whether that’s to everyone in the firm. I seem to remember going into a Brewdog bar in Manchester, it was pricey, the beer wasn’t brilliant and the place had a McDonald’s feel to it and it was empty. Not somewhere that would attract investment funds from me.

chambord
    Free Member

the fact that they only pay the ‘living wage’

Most bars I’ve worked in pay the minimum wage so I don’t really see the problem

zilog6128

I’m vaguely interested in this, but aside form the niche points I’m not clear on whether this actually makes for a good investment or not. Would there be a dividend and then the potential increase in value should the company ever go public?

I’m interested too as I really like the brewery but I’m guessing this fits somewhere between Kickstarter and “buying” a star!

Or, rather than support a marketing company that dabbles in rather dull beer

Let me guess – you really haven’t tried many of their beers? Possibly only the ones you can buy from a supermarket?

kimbers

is there anything less punk than selling shares?

joshvegas
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member
    I’m interested too as I really like the brewery but I’m guessing this fits somewhere between Kickstarter and “buying” a star!
    Or, rather than support a marketing company that dabbles in rather dull beer
    Let me guess – you really haven’t tried many of their beers? Possibly only the ones you can buy from a supermarket?

Ooooh burn…

I’ve tried alot of them (got a sample box, one of each)

some of them were dull the rest were atrocious then they try and cover it in their marketing.

As the above the Bars are pretty rubbish too.

portlyone

I remember going into a Brewdog bar in Manchester, it was pricey, the beer was great and the place had a ‘on trend’ feel to it, and it was full. Not somewhere that would attract investment funds from me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

some of them were dull the rest were atrocious then they try and cover it in their marketing.

Spot on.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

It’s not really a “share” or investment, more crowdfunding.
    I like Brew dog’s beer and have met lots of them and they are cool folk.
    But I’m not just giving them my money. They’re doing pretty well for themselves now.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have enjoyed a lot of their beers and they sell out really quick when it makes it down here to tassie, can’t get dead ponies for love nor money here.

zilog6128

Spot on.

You realise that their successful marketing and high sales of the “boring” beers enables them to spend a lot of time/money on their small batch craft beers – which are often excellent and as far from boring as I could possibly imagine? Admittedly of more interest to the beer connoisseur than a guy who just wants a pint.

I also like (most) of their regular beers, but can see why some folk might not.

Not quite sure where all the hate directed at their marketing has come from. Is it just the typical British thing of pouring scorn on anyone who’s dared do well for themselves?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I think they’ve given the industry a massive shake up and should be commended for that.

I really like some of their beers and don’t like some of their others. It’s called personal taste, and don’t really understand why the animosity in some of these posts. I’m struggling to think how ‘boring’ could be applied to them whether you like the beers or not.

I really can’t abide parsnips, but that doesn’t mean the greengrocer needs a flaming for selling them.

I guess some of the comments above have their roots in a ‘I’m more niche than you’ attitude.

mrchrispy

more ammo for the haters…
    I get the the nice man for ocado to deliver my punk IPA.

kcal

Supported them early on as it was a refreshing adventure. Not that it’s not now – they have big plans, which will generate employment which is good – but I do wonder if this is the point at which the whole edifice wobbles somewhat, given the ambitious expansion?

toby1

I often find a lot of breweries produce utterly dire and dull beers, Brewdog brew to my tastes, although Vagabond, punk and DPC all taste pretty similar at the moment, however I do like that taste.

I popped into a Craft beer co on a Wild brewery takeover weekend recently and had one of the blandest pale ales I’ve ever drunk. I tried a great Yorkshire brewery “top of the hops” (previously Cropton brewery) which wasn’t overly hoppy. I also recently had the misfortune to go to a Robinsons pub in the peaks, christ that was dull beer despite all it promised.

It was a genuine question about the investment element, so thanks for the replies.

I see it more as a couple of guys looking to grow the company without having to pay the bank lots of interest, they thought about their market of lets face it young to middle age guys with disposable income and got them to invest, it’s smart but not a massively sensible investment from what I can see.

dragon
    Free Member

I find craft beer in most cases is the Emperors new clothes. For instance Brew Dog beer is poor quality when compared to say Cairngorm brewery.

Also what is Brew Dogs problem with bottle sizes, I don’t want a bitter in 330ml that’s just rubbish.

mefty
    Free Member

It’s not really a “share” or investment, more crowdfunding.

No it is a share*, with some non financial investor benefits, which are quite common.

EDIT: * An expensive one too.

ourmaninthenorth

Buy when they’re private, and have no means of disposing of the shares.

Then, shazam, they’ll hit AIM with all sorts of promises and, unless you sell at the moment they float, the shares will be down to tuppence within a week.

Crowd funded private equity at £47.50 a share. That’s some valuation there. I’d be expecting a committed exit date.

Good luck to them.

kcal

I think they did have some share matching service set up – I didn’t know that, but they say it was in action. ..

squirrelking
    Free Member

I personally wouldn’t bother.

The investment is shit.
    The ‘benefits’* are shit.
    Their bars are overpriced pretentious shit.
    Their attitude** is shit.

*If I’m stumping up my hard earned for “shares” that aren’t guaranteed to make a decent return if any then the benefits had better be good. They’re not, you can buy it all cheaper elsewhere unless you are shopping on one of their own bars.

**Often called out as sexist pricks, more than a few incidents that mean I would think twice before giving them money for nothing.

mefty
    Free Member

Just to put it perspective, the price paid for the share implies a valuation of the company of £300 million. Fullers is valued at slightly more than this, £326 million and has ten times the turnover and makes £34 million a year.

Drac

I find craft beer in most cases is the Emperors new clothes. For instance Brew Dog beer is poor quality when compared to say Cairngorm brewery.

You see I’ve not been massively impressed by Cairngorn Beers, I find them rather a bland. I wonder if personal preference has anything to do with it or if they’re just not niche enough for some.

gobuchul
    Free Member

I like Punk IPA. However, I only ever buy it in the 660ml bottles.

It’s a rip off in the 330ml bottles.

Their marketing gets on my nerves as well. They try too hard.

As for the 1 gallon all grain Punk home brew kit they sell for £40, that is blatant robbery!

dragon
    Free Member

You see I’ve not been massively impressed by Cairngorn Beers, I find them rather a bland.

I think the thing with someone like Cairngorm is they are more traditional style beers, rather than this new over hoppy style. Traditional beers can be complex tasting, but won’t slap you around the face like some craft beers. Personally I grew up on Brains SA, Landlord, London Pride, Theakstons, Boddingtons (the old proper stuff), Flowers etc. I’m not saying they are all amazing but Cairngorm tends to resemble those and I like it way more than the newer American influenced Craft beers.

I don’t care about niche, I just want a good drink.

Drac

Exactly my point Dragon. They’re not bad beers just not exciting. Brewdog do a mixture I like them but still prefer some local ones for craft beers. I know that if I do go for Brewdog though that’ll appeal to me.

hora
    Free Member

Ive no interest in their beer or company.

If there was a rival startup making Nigerian Giunness style stuff… Yes please. It probably wouldnt make me much but that malty goodness 8)

rewski
    Free Member

@ hora – you should try Brewdog Libertine Black Ale, makes Guinness taste like the black watery pi55 it is, even those new Guinness craft band wagon export stouts.

My fave brewers at the mo are Burning Sky, One Mile End and Pressure Drop.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

rewski, Nigerian Guinness is not Guinness. It’s a very, very different drink! Lovely too.

There’s no “hate” from me about Brewdog. I just find their beers dull and/or not to my taste, and their marketing annoying.

There are so many brilliant small brewers out there that I think are more interesting, tastier and less ****.

Examples of “newer” breweries I currently like are;
    Wiper and True
    Bristol Beer Factory
    Brew by Numbers
    Kernel
    Tiny Rebel

Don’t think Thornbridge count, as they’ve been around a while, but I’ve yet to try anything of theirs which didn’t make me very happy.

*Edit – Just seen your comment re Burning Sky. Check this…..

@ Craft WC1, in That London. Tonight. 😀 *

mudmonster
    Free Member

+1 for kernel. Did a favour for a mate and asked him to pay me with it instead of money. Lovely.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

It’s all too Shoreditch hipster beard, deep v neck, scarf, eco warrior premium product bullshitterie for me, I’m most def totes owt.

Should rebrand as BRWD 😉 or 3DAWG and sell it to pumped and stoked bros, who smash it down the gym for double the price at organic farmers markets in London.

rewski
    Free Member

@CF – appreciate the tip off, saw it on Twitter a bit too late, nice selection, plateau and aurora are lovely. Brewdogs Bottledog shop is pretty good.

rewski
    Free Member

It’s all too Shoreditch hipster beard

but aren’t BD Scottish?

whatnobeer
    Free Member

but aren’t BD Scottish?

Yup, they are.

But like anything that was once niche and is now popular, BrewDog attract a lot of hate.

If you want to hate on a brewery I’d suggest Brewmeister. Cynical bunch trying very hard and doing nothing original in the process. What Craft Beer Is Not.

scandal42
    Free Member

Massive Lol at people sighting their personal taste as a reason for not investing.

Carling and Fosters on the other hand is utterly delicious.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Brewdog equity for punks!’ is closed to new replies.