• This topic has 49 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Psa. Blue planet 2.
  • binners

Maybe they should interview one of the dolphins about how they were bullied at school, but managed to overcome the subsequent self-esteem issues in order to go surfing, all while an appropriate Coldplay track plays in the background, then a close family member bursts into tears?

brakes
    Free Member

I bet Harry Hill’s done that one already.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Do animals and birds and fish really make all those whoosh sounds like the BBC wildlife programmes overdub?

I know a couple of folk that work(ed) with natural history unit and companies they subcontract for footage. The answer to your question is almost always no. Particularly for things like fish and other marine animals that don’t use sound to communicate.

It’s also the case for virtually any type of movement, fighting, rustling through leaves etc that you see in land-based filming. You just can’t capture specific sounds from the distances you’re working with in most cases, unless the action will happen in a predictable place.

But I agree, it has gone too far, but this is editors’ faults, not sound crews – a lot of prime-time natural history productions are very dumbed-down and anthropomorphised or edited to tell a “story” – a real shame in my view, as it undermines the craft and artistry of the film crews.

Another thing I was told was the nasty side of filming kills, nest raids, offspring abandonment etc – e.g. we don’t see the 15 minutes of agonising death whilst a gazelle is being opened up via its bottom and having its guts pulled out and eaten while it watches.

DezB
    Free Member

Case in point ^^

I’m sure there are ‘raw’ footage videos on the internet, I’m sure you can find the story of a walrus that just sits on a piece of ice flow for days, but the BBC are providing entertainment, as well as beautifully shot, documentary footage. If it’s not your thing, rise above us all and hunt through the web for what you want to watch.

wallop

I know everyone is entitled to an opinion and I totally respect that, but anyone who wasn’t impressed by that bit of telly last night must be dead inside 😆

mafiafish
    Free Member

If it’s not your thing, rise above us all and hunt through the web for what you want to watch.

I love watching it as much as the next person (The original Blue Planet played a big part in me foolishly getting a PhD in oceanography), only that as some have said, the more contrived instances of scripting through editing and jarring overdubs can cheapen the consistently incredible footage somewhat.

I really hope they release lots more footage from the 4 years’ filming in due course through standalone episodes or as blue ray extras etc. I imagine there must be hours and hours of fantastic footage that didn’t quite make the grade!

Drac

I imagine there must be hours and hours of fantastic footage that didn’t quite make the grade!

Not as many as hours of nothing that was worth using though.

AlexSimon

Resurrection:
    Looks like it will be in 4K and HDR from Dec 10th on iPlayer:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/iplayer-blue-planet-ii-best-ever-quality

pondo

Ah ha! Might be the lever I need to push for a new telly… 🙂

Drac

Yup my thoughts too Pondo.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Psa. Blue planet 2.’ is closed to new replies.