Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • PSA: Bikepacking/Gravel/riding bikes in Argyll
  • matt_outandabout

Argyll and the Isles, Scotland’s Adventure Coast, provides an awe-inspiring setting for bikepacking. At 655 km (407 miles) the Wild About Argyll Trail is Bikepacking Scotland’s first long-distance trail that was designed specifically with gravel bikes in mind.

Find out more at http://bikepackingscotland.com/argyll

Developed with funding from Argyll and the Isles Tourism Co-Operative, Scottish Natural Heritage and Forestry Commission Scotland.

[video]http://youtu.be/UmHVoBKLw68[/video]

rOcKeTdOg

cracking that

stevious

This looks great. I wonder how do-able it is with a kiddie trailer.

13thfloormonk

His route map just looks like he went full on kid-in-a-candy-shop and rode everything 😀

Looks like an amazing 3 or 4 day’s riding though, I’d maybe have tried to include the track that leads from Kilchrenan to Musdale via Loch Nant, the road from Musdale back down to Kilmelford is a peach, and opens the possibility of including the String of Lorne from Scammadale back to Loch Avich. Too many possibilities!

scotroutes

Well, sponsored by the tourism initiative he had to ensure that he at least passed all their members….
    😆

matt_outandabout

Lol, it is a bit like that.

Hoping to do some with middle_oab when he finishes exams in May.

breninbeener

@MOAB….are you going to Morzine again this year?

jkomo

Ace

Vortexracing

that looks like it will have to go on the list for this year, well at least a bit of it 😯

carboblock
    Free Member

Looks really good, would like to do one section, does anyone know if there is someone running a bike taxi service to get you back to the starting point?

whitestone
    Free Member

If you were doing the first bit (Helensburgh as far as Taynuilt) then you could get the train back but you’d have to pre-book to get your bikes on there. The route looks pretty convoluted with quite a few places where you could “short-cut” things to make a shorter loop.

Possibly Scotroutes might know of someone.

golfcurry
    Free Member

i ve planned this one out as a slightly shorter loop.
    3 Days

Helensburgh to Oban 100miles 2700m climbing

Oban to Tarbert 82miles 3000m climbing

Ferry first thing in the morning

Tarbert to Helensburgh 88miles 3000m climbing

hopefiendboy

Tagged for future

karnali
    Free Member

This looks great

gerti
    Free Member

Superb! 8)

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nice video, well shot, but by god does the riding look dull…

seosamh77
    Free Member

This looks great. I wonder how do-able it is with a kiddie trailer.

First glance, looks like you need to do the road section from inveraray round, utterly brutal that, don’t ever attempt with a trailer.

unless, they’ve bult some paths but I doubt it. We need to have a look closer to see what the road sections are like. At quite times would be ok, at busy time, constant flow of 60mph traffic on some bit by the looks of it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Bikepacking/Gravel/riding bikes in Argyll’ is closed to new replies.