Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • PSA: BBC4 Peel Lecture Now
  • UncleFred
    Free Member

Iggy Pop talking about free music in a capitalist society

augustuswindsock

Great shout, how old is he now? Minor miracle that he’s still alive, let alone lucid!!!

DezB
    Free Member

Didn’t expect it to be this interesting. Bloody fascinating. Iggy is a hero.

justinbieber

Why is Mel B giving the lecture instead? Did something happen to Iggy?

codybrennan
    Free Member

The bit that struck me was that, in early 60’s America, he feels the Beatles assuaged the pain that JFK’s assassination left, and that the Stones filled the gap that folk should have on American radio.

Fascinating man.

nedrapier

His show on 6Music is usually excellent, or at least very good. Today’s was fantastic.

Will look up the lecture on iplayer. I’d kind of assumed it had been broadcast already given how long they’ve been trailing it!

DezB
    Free Member

in early 60’s America, he feels the Beatles assuaged the pain that JFK’s assassination left,

I was amazed how emotional that memory made him.
    Great stuff.

Hey justinbieber, anyone ever told you you’re not funny. (that was the politest way I could say it)

Napalm
    Free Member

Bloody excellent! Iggy is an icon & an idol of mine.

justinbieber

DezB – not today, no. I watched & enjoyed it, but all I could see was Mel B. Sorry if I offended you

codybrennan
    Free Member

I was amazed how emotional that memory made him.

Me too Dez.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

His show on 6music is great, a fantastic voice, and very knowledgable. Speaks with passion too, a gem of a guy.

nedrapier

Great interview with Marc Maron – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkW5-yJE9Po

Some ads and stuff at the beginning. Scoot to 14:40 and listen from there, if you just want the Iggy bits.

Put it through the stereo, or turn the screen off, otherwise you’ll get distracted by Point break, for some reason. ❓

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But I’m uneasy at the BBC’s continued beatification of the broadcaster, who this week was also the subject of an adoring Radio 1 documentary called How John Peel Changed My Life, in which the likes of Annie Nightingale, Rob Da Bank, Huw Stephens and Michael Palin paid teary tribute.

It’s worth remembering that this was a man who married a 15-year-old in the US (which, at the time, was legal in Texas) when he was in his mid-twenties , and who was later discovered to have had at least one other relationship with an underage girl in the UK [Another pregnancy?. And let’s not forget his Schoolgirl of the Year competition on his Radio 1 show in the early Seventies.

Does Peel’s lofty cultural standing mean that, even posthumously, he’s protected from the opprobrium meted out to fellow broadcasting “personalities”? Is his legacy so sacred that his questionable behaviour around young girls should be ignored?

This certainly seems to be the case with countless rock stars whose dubious dalliances in the Seventies are routinely glossed over – or worse still, excused as an acceptable part of the rock’n’roll package.

Still, in the case of Peel, you’d think the BBC would have learned its lesson by now.

Source linkage.
    My addition in bold.

Why is Peel lauded, yet others are pilloried? In no way am I defending anyone involved in that sort of thing, such as Bill Wyman or Jimmy Page, but it does seem odd that there are some who are almost excused their behaviour.

Merak

+1 I was discussing this the other day what with the regular fawning over John Peel particularly on 6 music despite his predilection for very young girls.

Altogether unsavoury 🙁

rureadyboots
    Free Member

Gives a whole different meaning to his favourite song teenage kicks doesn’t it.

bigdean

Interesting, like the car insurace bit. Reminded me of John Lydons excuse for the butter adverts.

Missed the last few mins to show the mrs the rollins vs iggy pop youtube video.

ourmaninthenorth

I’d kind of assumed it had been broadcast already given how long they’ve been trailing it!

Radio 6 the other night. I expected it to be shit but was pleasantly surprised.

I agree very much with CFH on Peel. What one might have called “a complicated character”…. Generally fantastic taste in music, though (no, that doesn’t forgive any impropriety).

There’s a very good reason not to have heroes….

DezB
    Free Member

but it does seem odd that there are some who are almost excused their behaviour.

It’s all about the music. John Peel introduced me to many things that improved my enjoyment of life. Without him, I’m not sure where I’d be.
    I really don’t care about his dubious, long distant past.

I can still listen to Gary Glitter and Rolling Stones music.

watched & enjoyed it, but all I could see was Mel B. Sorry if I offended you
    In the cold light of the next day, my reply was rather unnecessary! No worrries 🙂

binners

Iggy Pop has the best voice in the world. FACT!

I could listen to him read a phone directory. Luckily he’s also a genuinely witty, funny bugger. That lecture was absolutely bob on about a lot of subjects.

if you read Wonderland Avenue, you’ll be even more amazed that either him or Bowie are still alive. The levels of depravity and debauchery those two nutters plummeted too, AND LIVED, 😯 should be a shining example to us all! 😀

codybrennan
    Free Member

The thing about Ppel, CFH, that maybe makes things a bit different is that he was honest and upfront about what he’d done and showed some contrition- and did make the point that it, in a bygone age he was a very different person.

At least that’s my recollection of “Margrave of the Marshes”.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Peel legacy thing is inexplicable considering the BBC’s current hypersensitivity on such issues.

Never warmed to him until near the end of his life personally. Found his taste didn’t really include much of the alternative music I was interested in during the ’90s. So he’s not really a sacred cow for me.

DenDennis
    Free Member

Regarless of Peel,

I thought the lecture was freakin awesome-

I never knew Pop was such an insightful, articulate and bright guy.
    respec.

well worth checking out. interesting to see how much musicians are whinging about not getting paid… you forget its the industry, and they’re not doing it for the love of it.
    perennial ‘artistes’ dilemma.

I liked his advice- ‘be yourself and do what you like doing- that way at least you’ll get paid what you’re worth and feel better about yourself’

stanfree
    Free Member

Only just noticed this thread and would have to agree Iggy is a genuine hero. His 6 music show is very enterraining and he seems a genuinley nice guy . If you want a life look up the Australian ‘Iggy’ interview on youtube he is absolutely out his box. I thought his opinions of U2 spamming peoples Itunes was bang on and then he concluded by stating dont hate on them they are good guys.

I’d imagine the Berlin years where him and Bowie shared a flat were interesting.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I didn’t really know much about Iggy and his story before this lecture, and it really was an eye opener.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘PSA: BBC4 Peel Lecture Now’ is closed to new replies.