Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • PSA: BBC Two – The World's War: Forgotten Soldiers …
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Ya, why are they not remembered?

Also why are Polish etc spitfire pilots not remember?

Nothing changed I guess even after two wars? Yes?

🙄

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Polish RAF pilots are remembered. Every time I drive past the Polish war memorial on the A40 I think back to standing there to attention freezing cold as an ATC cadet in the early 90’s.

chewkw
    Free Member

BigEaredBiker – Member

Polish RAF pilots are remembered. Every time I drive past the Polish war memorial on the A40 I think back to standing there to attention freezing cold as an ATC cadet in the early 90’s.

Why are they not invited to the march? Are they all dead?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Are they all dead?

Dunno about all dead but assuming they would have been about 20 years old in 1940 they are not going to be very mobile now.

The BoB memorial flight used to have one of its aircraft painted in the colours of a 303 (Polish) Squadron.

chewkw
    Free Member

BigEaredBiker – Member

Are they all dead?

Dunno about all dead but assuming they would have been about 20 years old in 1940 they are not going to be very mobile now.

The BoB memorial flight used to have one of its aircraft painted in the colours of a 303 (Polish) Squadron.

Piss me off every year when everyone was marching through for remembrance day yet the commentators hardly mentioned the Polish pilots etc. When they do they mentioned them very briefly.

Worst still the Polish were not invited to victory march at the end of WWII because of their proximity with Russia in those days.

I would like them to be mentioned clearly or at least be invited to the march. Same for other commonwealth soldiers who I suspect not many are around anymore …

Northwind

chewkw – Member

Also why are Polish etc spitfire pilots not remember?

The BNP very nicely commemorated them a while back 😉

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Meh… what are you going to do, it would take forever to mention all the nationalities that fought as part of Commonwealth forces. People know about it and that’s whats important. It’s all there in the history books and better quality documentaries.

Even some films. If you watch the end credits of the Battle of Britain it lists all the nationalities that had pilots killed in 1940 fighting for the RAF. It even lists 1 Israeli…

atlaz
    Free Member

I would like them to be mentioned clearly or at least invited to the march. Same for other commonwealth soldiers which I suspect not many are around anymore …

How do you know none of them are at the march?

It even lists 1 Israeli

I guess they mean Jewish or perhaps Arab from what is now Israel given when the state of Israel was created

chewkw
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    The BNP very nicely commemorated them a while back

😯 What are they trying to say? Do?

BigEaredBiker – Member

Meh… what are you going to do, it would take forever to mention all the nationalities that fought as part of Commonwealth forces.

It’s an important day so why not? The commentators are there to do a job aren’t they?

atlaz – Member
    How do you know none of them are at the march?

Because they were not mentioned or mentioned very briefly only. What a shame. I watch the march on telly almost every year you know.

atlaz
    Free Member

So, I ask you again, how do you know they weren’t there? My grandfather used to know a former Polish airman who would go to the local commemoration every year where he lived. Didn’t make a big deal about being Polish, he was there to remember his fallen friends.

chewkw
    Free Member

atlaz – Member

So, I ask you again, how do you know they weren’t there?

I don’t but that does not mean they should only be mentioned very briefly … the commentators at least should mentioned a bit more.

nick1962
    Free Member

I worked with a guy whose Polish dad flew Spitfires in WW2.He was very,very aggrieved when he applied to join the RAF himself but was refused and according to him it was because his dad was Polish …

chewkw
    Free Member

nick1962 – Member

I worked with a guy whose Polish dad flew Spitfires in WW2.He was very,very aggrieved when he applied to join the RAF himself but was refused and according to him it was because his dad was Polish …

😯 Is it before or after Poland joined EU? Or is he British? I don’t think I am surprised …

nick1962
    Free Member

It was years ago probably the late 1960s/early 1970s.He is British.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘PSA: BBC Two – The World's War: Forgotten Soldiers …’ is closed to new replies.