Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • PSA: BBC mobility scooter documentary tonight (shouting at the telly content)
  • binners

They’re apparently worse than cyclists.

According to the bumph, a large percentage of users aren’t disabled at all. Just fat and lazy. One bloke banned for drink driving bought one to get back and too to the pub. Watch the trailer of a blind bloke who just bought one, and now intends to rip around the pavements and roads of the land.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yes it was on the radio – surprised so many were not actually disabled

A blind fella with one…..should be a one short trip then

stilltortoise
    Free Member

surprised so many were not actually disabled

I’m surprised you’re surprised

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    footflaps

surprised so many were not actually disabled

I thought be fat and lazy did count as being disabled?

D0NK

I’m surprised you’re surprised

I’d assumed the “most aren’t even disabled” was from the same source as “everyone benefits is a cheat”, “all immigrants take our money then *** off home” and other such accurate rabble rousing “stats”

IanW
    Free Member

In the words of Peter Kaye “why should the disabled have all the fun”?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Donk It was Radio 5 live I think so it must be true 😉
    half asleep I think it was a shop saying this but not certain

One bloke banned for drink driving bought one to get back and too to the pub.

brilliant

D0NK

Donk It was Radio 5 live I think so it must be true

well yeah I presume the beeb did their research for this but it’s something I’d heard said a few times before form none specific sources and was cynical.

rossatease
    Free Member

I’ve nearly been knocked by them twice driving the wrong way down one way street, they are a nightmare in the Gods Waiting room of a town I live in, it’s often gridlocked with them, some genuine disabled which you don’t mind, but many just fat lazy people. They are everywhere, even in the Supermarket aisles with shouty impatient women if you don’t get out of their way quick enough. I find abandoning the trolley and disappearing round the corner works best.

IanW
    Free Member

Is there a collective term for mob scooter users so we can whip some proper prejudices? Moberists?

Duggan

I’m (originally) from the fat capital of Britain 🙂

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/18/obesity-tamworth-fat-capital-britain

They are everywhere. I think when it gets to the point that there isn’t even a stigma in an able-bodied person using a mobility scooter just to avoid walking, there is a pretty serious problem.

Also I’m sure it must makes thing worse for those genuinely in need of them as they doubtless all get tarred with the same brush.

One resident in that article above blames the obesity problem on the fact that the town ‘hasn’t got a sporting hero’. It seems doubtful that if someone from the town had won a bronze medal in the long-jump than all of a sudden everybody would be doing triathlons every weekend but maybe I’m just being cynical.

stumpy01

I’ll never forget sitting in a pub in Lincoln on a corner in the pedestrian, gazing out the window and seeing an old bloke drift a mobility scooter round the corner on the wet pavement.
    Looked like he was having a great time!

nickc

Some of them are road legal. Called the cops as I nearly took one out round a corner once. Called the local cop shop who sounded very resigned to the fact that; yes they knew who it was, and no; there was nothing they could other than advise folk to be on the look out and yes; they had spoken to him about driving down the centre of the road at a zippy 3-5mph

annebr
    Free Member

Police are now keeping KSI stats on accidents involving Mobility scooters.

hora
    Free Member

Too fat and lazy to get about?

But thats most of the UK driving population.

When I started driving I think my weight went up circa 1stone.

Nowadays I’ll walk round to the shop…. my next door neighbour drives there. They also drive to walk their dog in the nearby park.

Bonkers.

lemonysam
    Free Member

One bloke banned for drink driving bought one to get back and too to the pub.

There used to be a bloke who drank at the Hyde Park in leeds who then drove his three wheeler scooter back round the block to his sheltered accommodation. On several occasions we had to scrape him up out of the road and wheel him home after he launched himself off the curb and onto his face.

hora
    Free Member

O/T but I saw a 90yr old in Spar in Hope yesterday buying booze to drink. She said she loved having a drink during the day.

Made me chuckle 😀

hatter

The more of this thread I read, the more the humans in Wall-E seem like a chillingly accurate prophecy.

hora
    Free Member

Heres another- we share a carpark. In the other office theres a large lady who always parks as humanly close to the entrance of the carpark as possible (to enable as shorter walk). She will actually partially block the entrance so…. I’ve had to put up a plastic road barrier where she’d normally park.

Shes too lazy to move it so just parks mm’s from the obstruction.

rossatease
    Free Member

Duggan – Member
    I’m (originally) from the fat capital of Britain

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/18/obesity-tamworth-fat-capital-britain

They are everywhere. I think when it gets to the point that there isn’t even a stigma in an able-bodied person using a mobility scooter just to avoid walking, there is a pretty serious problem.

Also I’m sure it must makes thing worse for those genuinely in need of them as they doubtless all get tarred with the same brush.

One resident in that article above blames the obesity problem on the fact that the town ‘hasn’t got a sporting hero’. It seems doubtful that if someone from the town had won a bronze medal in the long-jump than all of a sudden everybody would be doing triathlons every weekend but maybe I’m just being cynical.

That doesn’t surprise me, I was up there at a show once and had a bit of shall we say aggressive banter at one of the Burger places that tried to gee us into buying some mentally oversized burger meal, we being fairly healthy sports types forced to eat there because there isn’t much else. The ‘manager’ sort got quite stressed that we wouldn’t consider ‘manning up’ to his obesity challenge, totally weird..

soma_rich
    Free Member

Its where we’re all headed apparently 🙁

taffy
    Free Member

stumpy01 – Member

I’ll never forget sitting in a pub in Lincoln on a corner in the pedestrian, gazing out the window and seeing an old bloke drift a mobility scooter round the corner on the wet pavement.

I have this mental iomage of an old gezer in a flat cap rely leaning into it.. he was probably on his way to get some bigger rims with spinners on them for it.

spacemonkey

Is there a collective term for mob scooter users

Last year my then 2.5 year old spotted one in town and said, “Daddy, why is he in a man tractor?”

bencooper
    Free Member

Today 22:40 BBC One except Northern Ireland, Northern Ireland HD, Scotland, Scotland HD, Wales, Wales HD

So, um, it’s only on in England then? 😉

jambourgie
    Free Member

There’s one guy near me with a massive ganga-leaf sticker on the back of his chair. Dunno what’s wrong with him but I sometimes hear the local shopkeepers moaning about him “up to no good, and ‘whizzing around’ baked out of his mind” 😀

Who cares if they’re not disabled, most people need a car to propel themselves, at least these are better on emissions & less dangerous. If we could get most of the car driving public onto these it’d be good no?

atlaz
    Free Member

You’d not get a bike carrier on one or want to ride one to the Alps

MoreCashThanDash

On one of the country lanes near Swadlincote a couple of months ago, one old biddy on her mobility scooter on the pavement, another on the road, going up a long gentle hill. It was like watching snail racing.

My 10 year old thought we had caught them filming “Off Their Rockers” and was genuinely excited. Just needed a sweary black nun on a scooter to complete the effect.

portlyone

I’ve seen them adapted into go-kart type machines, look great fun!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I bet they don’t even pay road tax.

Fantombiker

loads in this area as well.

Doe anyone know the law as relates to these things, are they allowed on the road…I assume not? and what is the max speed they can do on the pavement, and who has right of way on the pavement?

hora
    Free Member

Being honest here. I’ve looked at those motorised things parked up at the front of supermarkets and I’d happily slouch in one whilst doing my shopping.

How bad is that? 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

you would probably buy one of those that was too small and find the chair to uncomfortable to slouch in 😛

PJM1974
    Free Member

Brilliant! Sign me up for a go in one!

IIRC, there was an ongoing issue with a bloke in Clacton who’d got one of these. He’d spend the afternoon in the pub, get drunk and abusive and then sometimes charge at randoms on his scooter. The Fuzz couldn’t do much because he needed it for mobility apparently and he didn’t have a driving license. This was almost twenty years ago now, so he’s probably gone to the great Wetherspoon’s in the sky. Any Clactonians around to comment?

PJM1974
    Free Member

Mind you, I’d go one of these:

jota180
    Free Member

Everyone is getting one these days 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLiI8PL1iW8

cchris2lou

Watching it now, it is hilarious.

scuttler

Right – I’m only half watching this but about 10 mins in did that training bloke who slipped an obstacle behind the old dear with the tubes (which she crashed into) really say “It could have been a child’s face”?

vorlich
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/pdDhW9Lwepc[/video]

konabunny
    Free Member

What tyres for a mobility scooter?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘PSA: BBC mobility scooter documentary tonight (shouting at the telly content)’ is closed to new replies.