Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • PSA. Autumn Watch BBC 2 tonight @ 8pm.
  • Bunnyhop

Today the weather is so fine I decided to have my own autumn watch.
    One of our local footpaths is a man made walkway, which takes you almost through the canopy of the woods. There were so many blue tits, great tits and hoards of long tits, just too many to count.
    A really special treat was a tiny goldcrest picking away at insects in the ivy, so near I could almost reach out and touch it.
    Off the footpath and down to the local fishing ponds. There it was, a jewel in the sun, a flash of blue and orange, tearing to its nearby perch, a kingfisher. I tried to find it again to no avail.Made my day.
    Further along now and alongside the river Goyt. There in the shallows a greedy heron. Further along to the weir, patience paid off after 5 minutes when 2 salmon and a sea trout tried to jump up, at the moment the water level is too low, maybe better to see them after a good amount of rain.
    Just as I’m about to leave I hear the shrill call of 2 dippers. They fly past at quite a rate. Luckily a little further down I spot one of them dipping in the river.
    Of course there are the usual suspects hanging around, magpies, grey squirrels, a robin or two. Dancing about in the undergrowth a tiny wren, such a cute bird, I love them.
    Back past a small pond now and there was a dragonfly quartering, really never expected to see that.
    Back towards home I look up and there is a nuthatch. I knew I’d eventually see one as it’s a perfect habitat.
    Flocks of geese are flying up high, even my decent binoculars can’t make out the breed.
    My first glimpse of a flock of redwings, twisting and turning, off to strip the berry bushes bare.
    So much to look at during this season 🙂

matt_outandabout

It’s pishing it down here. 😉

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘PSA. Autumn Watch BBC 2 tonight @ 8pm.’ is closed to new replies.