Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • PSA XT Disc Brake at Merlins !!
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

£99 at the mo. Go get ’em

oli31
    Free Member

Burst a caliper seal trying to get the pistons to retract on my XT’s today, perfect timing thanks! : )

teethgrinder

I’m sure they are good brakes, and if my M4’s ever die they’ll be near the top of the replacement list, but **** me… Having to buy a new one for a seal?

rob2
    Free Member

I had something go in a lever and had to get a new lever as they are riveted together where I needed to get to

teethgrinder

Are they like cars where the bleed nipple should be opened before pushing the pistons back?

devash
    Free Member

Are they like cars where the bleed nipple should be opened before pushing the pistons back?

Ideally you should take off the bleed port screw on the lever before pushing the pistons back. For some reason its not on the paper document you get with the brakes though, only on this online document;

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/content/global_cycle/en/sg/index/tech_support/tech_tips.download.-Par50rparsys-0005-downloadFile.html/Resetting%20Disc%20Brake%20Pistons.pdf

nickdavies

Oli31 they are £55 on crc if you just need one – £50 with a fiver off voucher.

granny_ring

That link says to remove the reservoir top cap.

oli31
    Free Member

Thanks guys, ordered a new caliper from CRC this afternoon for £35 but can’t resist a PSA and could do with a fresh setup (and a spare set) for the Mega in July : )

oli31
    Free Member

Thanks for the tip about the top cap too, I won’t be making that mistake again!

devash
    Free Member

On the old (pre-2012) Shimano brakes that was the equivalent of removing the bleed port.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Do they come with pads? No pads in the PIC or mention of it in the details..

bigyinn
    Free Member

FFS why do people post these links? I don’t NEED new brakes, but I WANT them now!

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

The email I got shows finned pads in them.
    Sorry bigyinn. I need some too, but face death by spending if I do.

bigjim

that is for the old style Shimano brakes

mrblobby
    Free Member

Spotted and ordered yesterday 🙂

ir_bandito
    Free Member

The German shops have been at that price for ages. Just bought a set of SLX from Bike24 for £75.

chestrockwell

I was looking at these and the SLX set. Noticed it said that the SLX don’t come with finned pads (the picture shows finned) so assume that the XT don’t as they don’t show finned in the picture.

Assume by this they’re OEM? If that’s the case then I also assume it’s worth spending £10 more and getting non OEM with finned pads from Evans (or cheaper from Germany)?

g5604
    Free Member

do the german shop not have euro style front on left?

DezB
    Free Member

do the german shop not have euro style front on left?

Easy to swap over and you probably have to shorten the hoses anyway.
    I bought Deores recently from CRC and they are all set up with plugs in the hoses and the olives installed in the levers ready for adjustments.

gogg
    Free Member

£95 at my LBS for full retail pack (I paid £115 for mine last year), with finned pads…

zippykona

Are they much better than SLX?

chestrockwell

Forgot to mention that I’d expect them not to come with barbs + olives if OEM so you’d need to factor that in to the cost. No Finned pads, barbs or olives and it doesn’t look like such a good deal.

As for better then SLX…. Don’t know myself but plenty on here suggest not.

gogg
    Free Member

I went straight from Deore to XT, so no experience with SLX.

Hard to quantify any difference in perfomance but they look good!

Chest, the pair I bought had barbs, olives little yellow block for cutting hoses and finned pads. Knocks the OEM stuff out of the park!!

😉

legend
    Free Member

zippykona – Member
    Are they much better than SLX?
    POSTED 25 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

If theory no, however I have SLXs and the Mrs has XTs, and mine have way more lever throw than hers and I’ve not been able to do anything that sorts it.

chestrockwell

Chest, the pair I bought had barbs, olives little yellow block for cutting hoses and finned pads. Knocks the OEM stuff out of the park!!

From Merlin on this deal? If that’s the case I might be back in!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I got a single XT from Evans yesterday for £55. Came boxed with finned pads, barb and olive.

I also have SLX on another bike. The are no noticeable performance differences in use, XT have a shiny top cap, a bite adjuster that doesn’t really work and a threaded pad retaining pin versus split pin (available as a £1.50 part).

AlexSimon

From Merlin on this deal? If that’s the case I might be back in!

No silly – from his LBS (which he like to promote a lot yet has no affiliation with 🙂 )
    Keep up!

nemesis
    Free Member
    juanking

Daft question, Gogg, who is your LBS? The Mrs bike could do with a new set. Ta

gogg
    Free Member

I live on Anglesey, but I won’t post a link as the cynics above have already pointed out, I’m merely their meat puppet.

The fact that after 15 years living on Anglesey and having to buy everything either on-line or schlep over to Bangor I have a store less than 10 minutes from my home makes me happy to be their meat puppet, if they do well I keep a shop on my door-step…

A quick google for Anglesey Bike shop should see you straight, they’re the only one on the island. You might find “summit” there you like…

cooie

Got mine today, come with finned pads and had barbs,olives etc in one box!

AlexSimon

lol gogg – I was only teasing 🙂

gogg
    Free Member

I know, but I’ve been pulled by the mods before, so am playing it careful, hence no links.

It is nice having a decent shop nearby where they want to help and will do a good deal though, hence my “fanboy” status!!

😉

juanking

Diolch Gog, I grew up about 20 miles from you. Ta. JK

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got mine today, come with finned pads and had barbs,olives etc in one box!

Same here. Proper XT box and everything. Quite surprised really.

rockhopper70

3% cashback through topcashback too..

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Same here. Proper XT box and everything. Quite surprised really.

just to be crystal, you got yours from Merlin and it came with spare olives and barbs?

mrblobby
    Free Member

just to be crystal, you got yours from Merlin and it came with spare olives and barbs?

Yes. Barbs, olives, blocks, and a couple of yellow things which I think are hose cutters.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

cool, thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘PSA XT Disc Brake at Merlins !!’ is closed to new replies.