Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • PSA and question superstar headsets
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

33% off superstar headsets today with code XD6. Are they any good?!?

I need a headset that is listed as

HEADSET 44mm Zero Stack (Top) / 56mm Zero Stack (Bottom)

The nearest I see available on superstars website is

Type 2 (ZS44) BLACK
    UK Made Headset – Bottom Set x 1
    Type E (ZS56/40) BLACK

I always thought zs44/ zs56 was fairly standard. Will the 40 part make any difference?

Ta!

legend
    Free Member

Really good in my experience, wasn’t much difference between SS and Hope really (would expect the Hope to last longer but had no issues with SS ones)

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes. 40 is for a tapered fork and is the one to go for unless you have an old straight steerer fork

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers , what does the 40 mean then ? Nothing to do with stack height?

Rubber_Buccaneer

I SAID 40 IS FOR A TAPERED FORK 🙂

40mm is roughly 1.5 inches and 30mm roughly 1.125 inches, tapered or straight steerer standards.

cp

40 is the diameter of the 1.5″ taper steerer at the very bottom where the crown race locates (actually 39.79-39.85)

1.1/8″ would be 30 (actually 30.015-30.075)

see page 10 & 11

https://www.canecreek.com/resources/products/headsets/technical-specifications/oe-head-tube-specification-guide.pdf

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Lolz ok but no identifier on the top part other than zs44 . Interesting…..

Rubber_Buccaneer

Could be because barring some oddballs the top is always 1 1/8 so no need to specify

dirkpitt74

I need a headset for my Dartmoor Primal. Spec says:

Headset type: IS42/IS52

Can’t see anything listed on S’Star – am I missing something?

TIA

cp

Lolz ok but no identifier on the top part other than zs44 . Interesting….

That would be because a ZS44 cup will only take a 1.1/8 steerer. It would need to be EC44 to be given the option of steerer size.

cp

I need a headset for my Dartmoor Primal. Spec says:

Headset type: IS42/IS52

Can’t see anything listed on S’Star – am I missing something?

TIA

SS don’t make one – all their headsets are housed in cups whereas the bearings on your frame sit straight into the frame.

this would see you right:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/brand-x-headset-integrated-tapered-steerer/rp-prod130924?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Generic+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sOAQIjLj3_dc|pcrid|161850070953|pkw||pmt||prd|470424UK

spacey

I’m looking at the Slackrizer, to fit to my old Prince Albert. Is 2 degree difference going to change my world? Is it worth doing?

dirkpitt74

Cheers CP!
    Will give that a go – cheaper than the Dartmoor on.

akira

Hmmm two degrees might be nice on the Cove, need to measure head tube though.

submarined
    Free Member

Hmm, interesting to hear some good reviews. My Cane Creek 10 series has died very quickly. Was going to go Hope, but tempted by these. Are they well sealed? Will be going on a Patrol that see a fair bit of abuse.

vmgscot

Same situation submarined – was about to order Hope but decided to take a look at these (at this cost). The crown race and top bearing cap both seem to have rubber seals the same as Hope units. Bearings are not stainless though but we’ll see how they fare.

legend
    Free Member

spacey – Member

I’m looking at the Slackrizer, to fit to my old Prince Albert. Is 2 degree difference going to change my world? Is it worth doing?

You will definitely notice 2 degrees. Changing your world for the better cannot be guaranteed, depends what you’re looking to gain really.

spacey

Just thinking it might give a bit more control on the downs, I’m happy to sacrifice a bit of uphill traction or wandering for a more planted feel when it gets rough. Mainly I’m trying to stave off the new bike itch and hoping a bit of slackness might inspire a new feel.

gkeeffe

Had one on my bronson for nearly a year. Still smooth!!

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

I’ve just popped a minus 2 degree slackeriser in my Rallon. I was very impressed with the quality of it, especially given the price.

vmgscot

Just received my headset and they look well made.

Only thing I noticed is the top/bottom rubber seals have some hefty drag but I’m guessing that is the price for rubber contact seals that actually do anything? I remember my Hope headsets have shims to tweak this aspect of the top seal.

Note to myself when I come searching for the bearing sizes in the future (after the markings have worn off)…

Top (ZS44) bearing: 30x41x6.5 36/45 angle
    Bottom (ZS56) bearing: 40x52x7 45/45 angle

thedude
    Free Member

I have about 8000km on one and that includes 4000km bikepacking across NZ and it’s still good. This is a new superstar we are dealing with. The UK made stuff is great. They are making parts for Stanton bikes which also won’t harm their reputation for producing quality.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘PSA and question superstar headsets’ is closed to new replies.