Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • PSA – "An Idiot Abroad" about to start on Sky 1
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Possibly the funniest thing watched in ages.

Drac

You don’t watch much then.

Just more Gervais crap.

Hadge
    Free Member

It’s brilliant!!!! Karl is an absolute legend and so so funny.

iDave
    Free Member

why is a thick, insular, intellectually retarded, xenophobic twunt a legend?

Hadge
    Free Member

Because he’s thick, insular, intellectually retarded and a xenophobic twunt! Because he’s saying things that most people daren’t say in case they “offend” the politically correct turd! He’s a living Homer Simpson – as in funny.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

Mixed feelings about this.

On one hand he (or at least the persona he has adopted) represents everything I hate about Brits abroad, but at the same time it makes something of a refreshing change to the usual breathless travelogues, complete with pseudo-mystical bollocks about being on a journey, being a traveller rather than a tourist etc etc

speaker2animals

If I have to see another advert for this I will be on the phone to the Samaritans. Really don’t see the point. I really don’t even know why I typed this, if it’s your thing, lucky you. To me it’s just more low brow “entertainment” to boost Gervais’ ego.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Sorry about that, it was a crap episode IMO, bordering on insulting his hosts in the first half.

The one to China was way funnier.

thejesmonddingo

If you like xenophobic Brits abroad,insulting their hosts etc,you must love your summer hols ( I assume you go to the Canaries,Corfu,Aghia Napa,in fact any one of hundreds of places)
    Ian

jon1973
    Free Member

If you like xenophobic Brits abroad,insulting their hosts etc,you must love your summer hols ( I assume you go to the Canaries

My wife and I went to the Canaries a few years ago, and we didn’t come across any xenophobic Brits, insulting their hosts. You must move in different circles to me.

LHS
    Free Member

You must move in different circles to me

You must have stayed in your hotel room the whole time.

Because he’s thick, insular, intellectually retarded and a xenophobic twunt

sounds like the average STWer! 😆

jon1973
    Free Member

You must have stayed in your hotel room the whole time.

No, we just avoided the areas where those people frequent. Just defending the Canaries as a pretty nice place to go on holiday, that’s all. Easy to class anyone who goes on to a ‘popular’ holiday destination as a chav though in a truly ‘Daily Mail’, superior headline grabbing style..

MrNutt
    Free Member

I tend to think of ricky gervais as chris moyles’s older brother who was put through boarding school, then the money ran out and their folks sent chris to the local grammer instead.

tell you what would make good viewing, dig a big fxxking hole, chuck em both in and see which eats the other.

yoshimi

Bugger – I missed it, I’ve been ploughing through ‘How I Met Your Mother’ boxset – does it get repeated? if so when?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

last nights episode was not as good as the first one, still funny though.

Because he’s thick, insular, intellectually retarded and a xenophobic twunt! Because he’s saying things that most people daren’t say in case they “offend” the politically correct turd! He’s a living Homer Simpson – as in funny.

i agree 100%.

the people ‘giving out’ are missing the point of it, mind you if you hate gervais your not going to give it a chance anyway.

each to their own.

djglover
    Free Member

can you get this on any kind of Iplayer thing?

freddyg
    Free Member

It’s on again tonight, sky2 at 10. I think. I thought the first one was a bit like watching a car crash.

BigJohn

why is a thick, insular, intellectually retarded, xenophobic twunt a legend?

Insert own punchline here.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I cannot stand Gervais.

His humour is cruel, its about laughing AT people not creating funny situations or laughing WITH people. Its the equivalent of stealing a blind mans white stick then laughing.

Lets poke fun at Johnny Foreigner shall we by send a thick, insular, intellectually retarded and xenophobic twunt to do a TV programme

LHS
    Free Member

For once, I 100% agree with TJ.

djglover
    Free Member

Uh Oh Here come the politically correct police

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nowt to do with political correctness. Everything to do with taste.

laughing AT people is not funny.

LHS
    Free Member

There’s a very fine line between xenophobia and a nervousness around unfamiliar customs.

djglover
    Free Member

laughing AT people is not funny.

Brilliant quote

I think Karl would wear that on a t-shirt

miketually
    Free Member

Lets poke fun at Johnny Foreigner shall we by send a thick, insular, intellectually retarded and xenophobic twunt to do a TV programme

I watched the first episode. You did watch it, didn’t you? You’re not just making assumptions?

At no point is Johnny Foreigner the butt of the joke. In fact the “thick, insular, intellectually retarded and xenophobic twunt” is the butt of the joke.

Except he’s not a thick, insular, intellectually retarded and xenophobic twunt really, is he?

retro83
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

His humour is cruel, its about laughing AT people not creating funny situations or laughing WITH people. Its the equivalent of stealing a blind mans white stick then laughing.

You couldn’t be more wrong. 🙄

finbar
    Free Member

I’m quite comfortable in my assumptions and i have no intention of watching it. Fortunately i’ve been lucky enough not even to see an advert. Gervais is maybe the only comedian i’d like to smack in the face more than Alan Carr.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Retro – . Gervais humour is deliberatly cruel and unpleasant. he makes me cringe.

The trailers for this show are awful and nothing that gervais has done have I found watchable.

But then I don’t find laughing AT people funny. I don’t find cruel humour amusing. i just find him a cringeworthy unfunny twunt

iDave
    Free Member

Except he’s not a thick, insular, intellectually retarded and xenophobic twunt really, is he?

Do the people he’s insulting know he’s just pretending, in order to amuse genuine retards back in the UK?

Rich
    Free Member

Gervais barely says 5 lines in the whole episode (a good thing).

I do think some of it is very funny, but other bits are ignorant and offensive, which I suppose is the point (‘An Idiot Abroad’ is probably a clue), but not to my taste.

LHS
    Free Member

but other bits are ignorant and offensive, which I suppose is the point (‘An Idiot Abroad’ is probably a clue), but not to my taste.

At least it helps to address the stereotyping…..oh wait. 😕

retro83
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Retro – . Gervais humour is deliberatly cruel and unpleasant. he makes me cringe.

The trailers for this show are awful and nothing that gervais has done have I found watchable.

But then I don’t find laughing AT people funny. I don’t find cruel humour amusing. i just find him a cringeworthy unfunny twunt

I think the opposite. The butt of the joke lies firmly upon the ignorant, the obnoxious or the arrogant. In this case, his loveable friend Karl.

LHS
    Free Member

The butt of the joke

his friend Karl

When you have friends like that, who needs enemies? 🙁

McHamish
    Free Member

I missed last night’s episode, but I thought the first one was quite funny. I did have a few moments of ‘should I be laughing at this’ whilst glancing over at my Chinese wife.

To be honest I found Paul Merton more condescending when he did his travel programme…he’s an intelligent man and could have done things with a little more tact. Whereas Karl gives the impression that it’s just the way he is.

They could do a follow up series of him going round Britain experiencing some of our more ‘interesting’ traditions, it probably wouldn’t be much different.

coogan
    Free Member

You must be watching a different Gervais to me TJ.

miketually
    Free Member

Do the people he’s insulting know he’s just pretending, in order to amuse genuine retards back in the UK?

Again, I don’t recall him insulting anyone.

warton
    Free Member

When you have friends like that, who needs enemies

Yeah I’m sure Karl Pilkington is thinking that as he counts his fortune from various book sales and TV programmes…

miketually
    Free Member

Yeah I’m sure Karl Pilkington is thinking that as he counts his fortune from various book sales and TV programmes…

You mean the money he gets for playing the part which was written for him by his friend? I think some people are confused and thinking that this comedy show is in fact reality TV or a documentary.

warton
    Free Member

totally agree Mike, they think when the two are alone Gervais is still taking the p*ss out of him and slapping him on the head.

retro83
    Free Member

miketually – Member
    You mean the money he gets for playing the part which was written for him by his friend? I think some people are confused and thinking that this comedy show is in fact reality TV or a documentary.
    Posted 21 minutes ago # Report-Post

warton – Member

totally agree Mike, they think when the two are alone Gervais is still taking the p*ss out of him and slapping him on the head.

“Merchant and Gervais themselves have repeatedly denied claims that Pilkington’s comic persona is their creation. In an on-air response to similar claims made by Chris Campling during a broadcast on Xfm, Merchant stated that he would be “ashamed” if the radio show were scripted, adding that “If we had created Karl, I would not have squandered a character that good on this poxy radio station”.[11] Gervais concurred, pointing out as a comparison that writing a single series worth of half-hour episodes of shows such as The Office and Extras took the two up to a year.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Pilkington

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘PSA – "An Idiot Abroad" about to start on Sky 1’ is closed to new replies.