Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • PSA: Amazon Kindle Fire 7"/8GB @ £29.99
  • prawny

Got my kids these last year, decent enough, but they still nick the ipad.

A lot of the games they wanted won’t sideload properly, and I cant get the Play store to stick properly.

rossburton
    Free Member

Note that for 29 quid you get the “special offers” model which has adverts all over the lock screen. This may or may not bother you for the tenner it saves.

GrahamS

Am I right in thinking that version doesn’t take SD cards? 8GB won’t go far.

I’m holding out for a drop in the Kids Fire

poah
    Free Member

you might want to read some of the reviews before buying.

trail_rat
    Free Member

wife had one.

so slow and borders on unusable. Browser is pish and constantly crashes and the screens not very responsive.

Its been replaced with a paperwhite – which conversely is REALLY good.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Glad I spotted this thread. I was about to order one for my boys. They’re young so was just going to fill it up with Ocoto-bloody-naughts and Baby-****’-Jake for keeping them occupied on flights.

Are you right about the lack of taking SD cards Graham?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/amazon-fire-16gb-7-inch-tablet-32gb-memory-sd-card-case-49-99-tesco-direct-2551343

Some are saying the above is a better deal package for 50 squids, but 30 squids for a basic tablet is a great offer.

GrahamS

Are you right about the lack of taking SD cards Graham?

No I don’t think I am – description says “Free unlimited cloud storage for all Amazon content and photos taken with Fire devices. Add a microSD card for up to 200GB of additional storage

It’s the Fire HD 6 that doesn’t have an SD card slot (bizarrely). Sorry for the confusion.

So the Fire does actually look like a decent deal.

Does anyone know the difference between the Fire and the Fire Kids Edition?

Hardware specs look identical (same 1024×600 7″ IPS screen, same CPU, same battery life) so is it just a software difference plus a kid proof case and warranty?

The Fire Kids is still £95 compared to £49 for the 16GB Fire with no ads.

poah
    Free Member

fire kids comes with the protective cover (£20) and a load of apps. check the description and it tells you

GrahamS

But if you get the normal Fire can you install the kiddie “parental control” software on it?

This thread suggests so:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-the-new-hudl-kids-tablet

I’d still rather gets the “real” kids version because it has the 2 year kid-proof replacement but It’d be good if it dropped a bit in price too!

johndoh
    Free Member

Just to confirm – they do have a SD card slot – I have cards full of films as well as now being the primary destination for any new uploads (ie games).

I totally disagree with them being unusable, our kids are very happy with them and I have seen little to fault them personally. But if you are expecting iPad type performance from a £30 tablet it says more about you than the device.

And depending on what you want from the parental controls, there is plenty you can do without putting the ‘kids’ skin on it. We have a master password that the kids don’t know and we can do things like set them not to work at set times, not allow in app purchases etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Amazon Kindle Fire 7"/8GB @ £29.99’ is closed to new replies.