Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • PSA: Alpkit Filo Down jackets back in stock
  • Nick

I can see what Hora means, Alpkit do some hats and gloves that you could easily find in a Fatface store.

What I need help with is finding the Fatface tents, sleeping mats, sleeping bags, ti mugs, tent pegs, drybags, headtorches, framebags, bivvy bags, tarps, bouldering mats????

RustySpanner

I’m sorry if I’ve upset you Hora, that wasn’t my intention.
    It was just meant as banter in the context of discussion.

I am really impressed bt the jacket, torch, bivvy bag and three rucksacs I’ve had from Alpkit.
    They’ve worked really well and saved me a lot of money.
    Because they are such good value they’ve enabled me to do things I wouldn’t otherwise be able to afford to do, in comfort and safety, with the cash I’ve saved.
    That’s why I’d have no hesitation in recommending them to others.

Once again, apologies if I’ve offended you.
    I still have no idea what you’re on about by the way.
    What, exactly is ‘missing’ from the products that you have used?

hora
    Free Member

Theres nothing wrong with the kit. Its just that, it does the job as do many many do. The price is ok however with abit of shopping round nowadays you can pick up lots. I just (personally) don’t get the bigging’ up. Happened with Howies for a while. Its just clothing/kit. The STW spread wound me up abit as your paying a fair whack for a mag then got that as content. Sorry to hijack the thread BTW.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

blimey I just posted up some news that the new filo jackets were available, didnt quite expect to see so much banter following on.

I like Alpkit as a brand as others have said, good kit and a good price.

I’ve worked with a few marketing types recently who tell me that when we buy something one of three things need to be satisfied in our heads to help us buy a brand. Technical, emotional and mythological – allegedly if one or more is satisfied then we will be more like to buy it. I guess we’re all different and the question on us being satisfied is individual. Kinda makes sense.

For me Alpkit Filo jackets ticked the box, techniocally they work, emotionally I like the look of the jacket and its association with the outdoor world.. mythically? no idea about that one. But I guess the jackets seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Does anybody know this science better?

hora
    Free Member

True, I’m just being a grumpy **** 8)

BadlyWiredDog

Theres nothing wrong with the kit. Its just that, it does the job as do many many do. The price is ok however with abit of shopping round nowadays you can pick up lots. I just (personally) don’t get the bigging’ up. Happened with Howies for a while. Its just clothing/kit. The STW spread wound me up abit as your paying a fair whack for a mag then got that as content. Sorry to hijack the thread BTW.

This is just rubbish even by your standards. Alpkit works in a similar way to On One in that they design and source a lot of their own kit, then import and sell it direct, which allows them to undercut more conventionally structured brands. Some of their kit is cheap and cheerful, but decent value like the Gamma head torch, but a lot of it – their lightweight down bags for example, is simply very good functional kit at a blindingly good price.

If you have an issue with the magazine for running a feature on them that you didn’t like, then have a pop at the mag, not the brand ffs.

hora
    Free Member

If you have an issue with the magazine for running a feature on them that you didn’t like, then have a pop at the mag, not the brand ffs.

Its on the mags own forum which is read by their mods and Editor.

somafunk

I rather liked reading about the alpkit crew and factory, in the same way i’d enjoy a feature on Reynolds steel, or endura, or hope, or betd, or any of the small frame builders/product designers around this country and beyond. It’s stuff i use therefore i have an interest in the ethos and design/thought process behind it’s construction.

Perhaps i’m just a geek?

BadlyWiredDog

Its on the mags own forum which is read by their mods and Editor.

No, that’s not what I’m saying. What I’m getting at is that if you’re cross about a feature you think is overlong or irrelevant then be cross about the feature not the company that it’s about. You seem to have gone through some bizarre transference process where initially it was Alpkit’s fault that ST wrote about them before some furious back-pedalling to the point where it’s actually the magazine you don’t like…

It seems odd.

hora
    Free Member

Now you’ve lost me.

BadlyWiredDog

Now you’ve lost me.

Welcome to our world… 😉

Nick

Go nice places, do good things. Who doesn’t want to do that? Whether it is standing on the touchline cheering on your kids, or wild camping in the Cairngorms in Winter?

Nice marketing, getting the reason why they make the kit the same as the reason someone might want to wear it.

Dolcered

Always been happy with my Alpkit stuff. My filo jacket was a bargain £50quid, mind you it is snotter green, but still. Going strong after 4 years.

The gamma torch is the best one I own, although the tailight has quit working. (The dog gets the blame for that, she was wearing it when she dived into a duck pond)

For me their stuff just works.

Howies stuff has never fitted me properly, I was getting fed up with the “preachy” element, as I perceived it.

hora
    Free Member

My filo jacket was a bargain £50quid

Thats a great price. Even back ‘then’! Thats my point. My Mountain Equipment jacket cost £125.

stever
    Free Member

I’d still look at Filo if I could justify a new jacket. I like them, I like their products. Look! You can see them on the website. You can buy things off actual people. I like the way they make their mistakes in public, eg recent cheap tents that weren’t up to scratch. Bouldering mats, great thoughtful products at good prices. Big Shakeout. Bivvi bag unbeatable. The Gamma is a modern classic, though I’m still waiting see what they can do for 30 or 40 quid. That’d be superb.

Sadly my Rab down pullover gets most use at the moment walking to school on a chilly day. For that it’s great.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I presume Hora is refering to the whole Alpkit ‘lifestyle’ thing, which they portray. Lots of pretty climber types enjoying life and having fun in dreamy locations, with VW camper van in shot. And the likes of STW employees lapping it all up.
    I actually have to admit they do it well and can imagine a lot of people wanting to associate/buy in with their portrayed lifestyle/scene. Especially as they are what they say they are, a bunch of outdoor types.

somafunk

Sitting here at the moment in my new Filo Jacket, roasty-toasty indeed and good sizing, i got a small and it fits perfect. I went for the kermit green option as all my other down jackets/gillets have been black so i felt i needed a bit of colour in my life for a change – very nicely made and the Kermit colour is rather fetching in the flesh, the popper hood fits very well and all the draw cords work as they should and are easy to use, even with gloves on. Sturdy YKK zip in a matching colour to the jacket and nice fleecy lined outer pockets, and a handy inside pocket as well.

Very impressed for the price and i’m more than happy, especially wi the knowledge that if something does go wrong wi it or i damage it in any way i can call them up directly and they’ll do all they can to help me out. That’s why i bought it, british company run by real folk you can speak to and all that.

seanoc
    Free Member

Am I a douchebag for wearing Fat-Face stuff?

I don’t have any brand obsession, loyalty or anything else; they just sell okay jeans for £12. I’ve noticed that my wife buys our kids a lot of Joules stuff and I have to admit; it irons well. But should I say something, I’ve never thought about this stuff before.

I actually fancied the Filo but as the logo isn’t stitched then I thought it looked cheap.

somafunk

**** hope not as i’ve got a thick knit fat-face jumper i’m rather attached to.

somafunk

The logo isn’t stiched for a very good reason, it’s ultralite micro ripstop fabric and unnecessary stitching is to be avoided.

seanoc
    Free Member

Sounds a bit tech for glamping then.

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Am I a douchebag for wearing Fat-Face stuff?

Sorry to break this to you, but yes. Yes you are.

At least it’s not Next I suppose.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Its just clothing/kit.

so why does it need a soul?

seanoc
    Free Member

There’s something wrong with Next too? Wtf is going on here. What can I wear?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

My new Filo turned up and I think it’s ace and better than a couple of other down jackets I tried.

it’s toaster warm this week in the bad frost and cold, -4 was fine. I like it lots.

somafunk

There’s something wrong with Next too? Wtf is going on here. What can I wear?

I’ve got a surplus hand knitted by blind african children burlap cloth sack that my organic horse-shit hand reared potatoes came in – you can have it you like for £99.99 – comes with a certificate n’ everything, still got a bit of genuine horse-shit staining on one corner that looks suspiciously like the figure of a little baby jesus being passed through mary’s birth canal, cut a few holes in it and you could wear it as a long shirt?.

T666DOM

My filo arrived on Mon, cracking fit and really warm, great green with zest inside. Wife thinks I’m stupid buying that colour but I don’t care! It has been confiscated to be wrapped up for Christmas… Bummer

seanoc
    Free Member

Go on, what’s the sizing like? I do like the green/zest. Wor lass is feeling a bit guilty about getting me a Bergause Furnace micro pile for only £37.50. She’s getting a very tidy Karen Millen trench coat and a pair of nice shoes.

So, I’m a large in Rab, Bergause athletic cut stuff and generally a medium in Next, Howies, Fat face, Joules, Sea Salt, RL, etc. which way do I jump for a Filo?

CountZero

I’ve got a Uniqlo ultralight down parka and gilet, about £50 and £40 with discount. Hardly high mountain stuff, but warm and light and cheap and no logos at all and suits me just fine.
    Alpkit and RAB stuff looks nice, but I can’t justify their prices at all.

T666DOM

Seanoc Im a similar size by the sounds of it, the large filo is perfect for me with a fleece/jumper underneath

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I am sometimes a large and occasionally a medium, defo a large in the Filo for me. Little Bit of room underneath and the arms are the right length!

seanoc
    Free Member

My brill wife picked up a bergaus Ramche (sp?) from the Berghaus outlet for Christmas…..here’s one very happy (and warm) glamper!

Ta for the sizing advice on the Filo though.

Viewing 32 posts - 41 through 72 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Alpkit Filo Down jackets back in stock’ is closed to new replies.