Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • PSA – ALL Edinburgh Schools Closed Today.
  • allthepies
    Free Member

FFS, a little bit of snow up North and the world comes to an end. Wall to wall media coverage, yadda yadda. You’d think the world is centred on Edinburgh.

😉

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You know what the problem is – edinburgh is full of english. Cannae handle it when they get a wee bit of snow. Glasgow seems to be running well.

julianwilson
    Free Member

By post count/location, I reckon stw is centred on Edinburgh though 😉

Hohum
    Free Member

All schools are closed in West Lothian today as well.

Not surprising after the overnight dumping really.

Drac

Schools were closed here on Friday and today too.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

All Fife schools too. Snow-day for Stuart!

To be fair, there is quite a lot fell last night…

snow_day by stuartie_c, on Flickr

pixelmix
    Free Member

The problem is that teachers generally don’t live next door to the school (you would have to be nuts to live beside your pupils) and do have to leave pretty early to get in for 8am or whenever.

My wife drives to Livingston every day. She got up as usual, all set to go. I cleared the car for her just before 7am, and thankfully she got a text just in time to say it was closed (last time it was closed she was almost at the start of the M8, having driven 8 miles or so). I am really glad she is off actually. I don’t fancy the idea of her getting stuck on the M8 on her own all day, or some idiot driving too quickly and running into the back of my shiny car at the lights!

The roads in Edinburgh don’t seem too bad, but at 7am they are a lot worse, and I guess that West Edinburgh / West Lothian is a lot worse still (my parents reckon they have 12″ of fluffy stuff by Balerno).

If only 50% of teachers make it in, you have a major health and safety issue for the council. Do you have enough teachers to adequately monitor the kids? What if there is a fire?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Delightfully typical stw argu-thread from last winter about the same thing.

I seem to remember I got told I was an idiot/similar for suggesting the same thing as your first paragraph pixelmix 😐 [edit] actually maybe it was a similar ‘why can’t these teachers get to work’ type thread. Anyway…

pixelmix
    Free Member

I seem to remember I got told I was an idiot/similar for suggesting the same thing as your first paragraph

Ah yes, good times. Can’t beat a good STW grumpy argument.

druidh
    Free Member

pixelmix – Member

The roads in Edinburgh don’t seem too bad, but at 7am they are a lot worse, and I guess that West Edinburgh / West Lothian is a lot worse still (my parents reckon they have 12″ of fluffy stuff by Balerno).

That’ll be 12″ on top of the stuff we had on Saturday!! The WoL path was impassable this morning.

Took me an hour to get to work. The road from Balerno to the Gillespie Crossroads had more pedestrians than vehicles. Worst bit was coming along Slateford as the snow had been compacted down to a bumpy, icy mess.

Oh – Trailrakers FTW (Ice Spikers for the return journey I reckon).

epicsteve
    Free Member

Glasgow seems to be running well.

One of my colleagues from the west made it into the office this morning and he says that there is way, way more snow in Edinburgh than over there.

We cleared the snow in our street yesterday afternoon but there must have been another foot of snow overnight and it’s snowing heavily again now.

epicsteve
    Free Member

The road from Balerno to the Gillespie Crossroads had more pedestrians than vehicles.

One of them being me! The main roads would have been passable with care but there was no way to get the car out of my street.

ojom
    Free Member

13 inch here in bonaly. My end of the street is cut off and even the gritter got stuck and had to be rescued.

Lady was sent home after setting out on foot to work. No number 10

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I made it into work on foot and by bus. Not much fun though.

Druidh/Mark, any ice/snow tyres in stock? I’d like some for my commuter. Can i leave them on throughout winter or do i change them for ice/snow?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Mark / Druidh – I predict a good rush on turbo trainers for you this week. I might be in myself if I didn’t live in a top floor flat. Mind you, the old dear below me is a bit deaf…

Cracking snow yesterday at GT, but we’re now past that nice 3″ powder phase, so it’ll be too deep or too icy from now on. 🙁

Don’t envy your ride back up the hill this evenings gents.

chriswilk
    Free Member

about 30cm here in Penicuik too. No chance of getting the car out and decided against trying Maidens on the bike.

Kids off, so sledging/igloo day for me. Trouble is it’s almost up the my 2yr old’s waist so she’s having trouble getting about.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Anyone been along the cycle path that goes from crewe toll to roseburn this morning? Rideable?

druidh
    Free Member

2 pairs of Conti Spike Claws currently in stock.

1 is mine. The price of the other pair is going up by £1 per hour 🙂

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’ve never used spikes before hence why i’d like to know if they can be left on or taken on/off. Took me over an hour to get my tyre on/off after a puncture the other week and i aint doing that every few days depending on ice/snow so if they can’t be left on, i’ll just have to get used to walking everywhere.

druidh
    Free Member

These ones have spikes down the edge – not the middle. I plan to leave them on as much as possible – but them I also have a spare pair of wheels to save me swapping around.

Practice your tyre changing??

ojom
    Free Member

Onion – they are Luke’s – dinnae sell em.

kpie
    Free Member

Tried the bike path but the only bits rideable were under the bridges. Managed to get in okay following the main roads by sticking to the slush. Though thinking maybe not in the dark…

epicsteve
    Free Member

2 pairs of Conti Spike Claws currently in stock.

1 is mine. The price of the other pair is going up by £1 per hour

I’d consider paying a premium if you bring them out to Balerno for me…

epicsteve
    Free Member

Though thinking maybe not in the dark…

Indeed. I was thinking that riding in would have been ok in the light but possibly suicide once it gets dark.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Slush is OK in the dark no? You are concerned it will have frozen?

epicsteve
    Free Member

You are concerned it will have frozen?

More concerned about the car drivers.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘PSA – ALL Edinburgh Schools Closed Today.’ is closed to new replies.