Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • PSA aldi
  • oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Not sure if this has been done – waterproof winter gloves £4.99 and waterproof socks £12.99 (these are dexshell I think?)

binners

Cheers for that. The waterproof socks are great. Same as Sealskinz. Half the price. I’ll stock up at lunchtime 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

What are the gloves like?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GrahamS

The waterproof socks are great. Same as Sealskinz

So shit then?

binners

If you think Sealskinz are shit then, yeah.

I don’t, personally. So I don’t think these are shit either. And they’re even less shit, as they’re half the price.

Just how un-shit is that?! 😀

Oh… gloves are great too! I bought some as a reserve set, but ended up using them more than my Sealskinz, which I’m sure I’m about to be informed are shit anyway

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I’ve got some of the non-waterproof gloves which are fine, socks are generally good, I am also the proud owner of a pair of their shorts £4 in the sale !!! still intact after a dozen rides .

gatsby
    Free Member

Just been to the Preston store, managed to get one of only 4 Garmin Edge 500s for the Other Half. Can’t go wrong at 80 quid.

Got one of the merino base layers for 15 quid, looks nice – sizing is ‘generous’, I got a Med where I’d normally be a large in most cycling clobber. Feels nice.

The standard socks at £3.99 are a good shout too, and GT85 is £1.99.

It was full of poor people squabbling over lobster-claw gloves though…

stumpy01

I’m gonna nip in on the way home from work, I think.

I bought some of their bib shorts earlier in the year with a new pad design and they’ve proven to be very comfortable, so might get try a pair of their bib tights.
    The waterproof socks look like they might be worth a punt (I am in the pro Sealskinz camp) and one of those Moon Comet style front lights.

Might try a couple of packs of the electrolyte tabs too.

ransos
    Free Member

but ended up using them more than my Sealskinz, which I’m sure I’m about to be informed are shit anyway

Sealskinz gloves are total crap.

fathomer

The waterproof socks are good, I prefer them to my sealskins, better fit.

GrahamS

If you think Sealskinz are shit then, yeah.

My experience of Sealskins socks (and Sealskins-alike copies) are that they are fantastic if you plan on standing still in some water that isn’t as deep as the top of the socks.

But if you splash through puddles or wear them when it is raining then the water just runs down your leg, seeps through the cuffs and into the socks, which slowly fill until you are riding about with two bags of water on your feet. 😀

And if you somehow avoid this scenario, perhaps by adding some gaiters, then your feet get so sweaty that they end up soaked anyway.

And then you can’t wash the socks because they go all crinkly.

These days I just use the wet suit approach and wear thick socks that get wet but keep my feet relatively warm anyway.

Poopscoop

The bike gloves are superb. Have a couple of pairs, last really well and as warm as you’ll get for a glove this “compact”

Not the lobster ones, never used them.

I’ll be picking up the semi wool socks, water proof socks, gloves for my lad and probably one of the winter jackets.

Love aldi bike gear. I’m no snob.;-)

freddyblack
    Free Member

Regarding sealskinz socks, did an experiment wearing them in the shower. Result, they filled with water. Apart from wearing tights a solution i read but not tried yet is putting bands at the top e.g. cancer support bands.

thered

I’ve always found sealskinz stuff to be bang on, haters gonna hate tho

verses

GrahamS has described exactly my experience of SealSkinz socks…

cynic-al
    Free Member

What waterproof socks are sealed to your ankles then?

Love how this is sealskins’ fault 🙄

binners

Ok, so to summarise…

If you like Sealskinz products and would like some of the same, but at half the price, then get yourself off down to Aldi.

If you don’t, then don’t

Right… I think thats cleared everything up.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Won’t anyone think of the Seals???

40mpg

Sounds like Binners is about to blow a seal 😉

Nobby

Sounds like Binners is about to blow a seal

I’m pretty sure that’s not legal, let alone moral!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Touche!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Just picked up a pair of the ‘Moon’ style lights – and I can report they are BRIGHT!

I am still unable to see properly after briefly staring into the beam.

Appear well made – and well thought-out – 6 modes in total with flashing/steady options.

TPTcruiser

Gloves: my experience with 2014 waterproof version, they went at the seams, just not enough for stitches to hold. Went back to my Gill ones, still going strong.
    Jerseys of different Aldi vintages holding together well.
    I got some lights, a jersey and helmet liner/skull caps.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Been informed in our Aldi that the Moon Comet type lights are not being sold for some reason. Only thing that I really wanted. 🙁 <Edit>Just seen above, lying buggers! :D</Edit>
    Still managed to spend £78 though! 😯

The pro jerseys look ok this time, and are not the usual baggy affair. Nice long arms too (for those of us who are long).
    The pro jackets have a weird seam just behind the shoulder that really irritated me. YMMV.

Drac

So if you like standing in the shower with your socks on don’t buy sealskinz?

Must remember that.

MussEd
    Free Member

No doubt there are bargains to be had, but for me this experience is always ruined by having to wrestle with folk in stinking Aldi gear barely washed(going purely on the odour emissions) since the last Aldi cycling event 6 months previous over the last pair of size 9-11 socks…

perchypanther
    Free Member

Touche!

medoramas
    Free Member

Sealskinz have re-designed their socks, now they’re gonna have a tight silicone gripper at the top, which supposed to make them even better!

Normally I used to ignore all the Aldi offers – it used to be too far away. But they opened the store in my town very recently……

Sandwich

Sounds like Binners is about to blow a seal

Perhaps he’s going into politics!

edhornby

went to the local one to get a 500 at 8am, got a few socks and a pair of gloves

may have a go at the jumble sale later, maybe base layers but they never have small ones for a proper fit on the merino ones

waterproof socks, I may get a pair to live at the office for the ride home – if the shoes don’t dry in the day my feet won’t be horrid

chrisgibson
    Free Member

Anyone used the Aldi shoes? They look a steal at £25 but not convinced.

verses

So if you like standing in the shower with your socks on don’t buy sealskinz?

Correct, also don’t get them if you expect them to keep your feet dry while cycling in the rain.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’m sure this comes up every winter .from my experience sealskins are great if you use the long ones , under tights , so water cannot easily get in the massive hole where your leg goes .

GrahamS

True, but then you have to wear tights…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yes , true there is no escaping the tights shame. But for like that 2-3 month period when it’s really cold and wet its a decent combo to be able to keep riding. Plus. I love how tight and slinky the tights are against my skin 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When are Lidl having a bike sale? Always liked their gloves which are nice and warm below zero, but way to hot and sweaty above freezing

I’m not a fan of Seal Skinz as you just end up riding around with a cold bag of water around your foot.

40mpg

Good PSA, OP – just acquired some contentious socks, winter gloves which feel just right, a skull cap and the softshell jacket (lovely shade of pale blue, but it’ll mainly be worn for winter night rides, and covered in mud). Not a bad haul for £30-odd.

Got in just as the Home Office Immigrant Round-Up Squad arrived, all kitted out in black kevlar vests etc. There were a few sweating brows in there! Left quickly so didnt witness the fall-out 😯

thestabiliser
    Free Member

£37 of bike tat acquired. Waterproof, 2*lights, gt85, dinks tabs, winter gloves, absolute rubbish but cheap. And as for sealskins, great for walking shite for biking.

davieg
    Free Member

Just bought some “shit” socks and pair of lobster gloves. I’m not a big fan of my sealskinz socks for all the reasons above, but these ones feel a little thinner (in a good way), and will be worn under tights so hopefully I may have dry(er) feet this winter.

GrahamS

But for like that 2-3 month period when it’s really cold and wet..

My mistake, I thought you were in the UK 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘PSA aldi’ is closed to new replies.