Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • PSA – A very British map: The OS story. BBC4 tonight.
  • tang
    Free Member

Map lovers this should be worth a watch. 9pm BBC4

cinnamon_girl

8) Ta.

Cougar

My map geek OH will love that. Set to record, ta.

bikebouy
    Free Member

TVM 😉

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Always loved maps since boyhood, will watch thanks

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Nice one, hope it is IPlayer’ed.

Pickers

Ooh ta, hadn’t spotted this. Set to +

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

[/]map geek mode ON[/]
    Cheers

loddrik
    Free Member

Bookmarked

eddie11
    Free Member

Is this based on the autobiography of the os? Just s word of warning, I am a massive massive map fan but the early story of the os is incredibly dull at least it is based on that book.

bob_summers

As Eddie, got two books I’ve never managed to finish about the os. Will give it a whirl anyway

wallop

Oooooh, nice PSA – thanks!

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

I love reading maps and charts, and being able to use the tools to use them – compasses, dividers, portland plotters, but I’d love to be able to use theodolites and sextants

br
    Free Member

Very good programme, worth looking for.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Arseflaps! Was on a work call, so missed this. To the iPlayer I go!

epicyclo

Does it mention the poor bloke who had to carry all those trig points to the tops of the hills?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    Does it mention the poor bloke who had to carry all those trig points to the tops of the hills?

Kind of.. They took all the components up, and mixed the concrete in situ..

alpin
    Free Member

As above, I’ve got the book on the birth /history of the OS and it’s a bit of a drag. I’ve not finished it.
    Probably carries better on TV than in a book, mind. Will have a watch.

matt_outandabout

What an amazing task over a hundred+ years.

The ‘two years work’ for one of the original, hand drawn one mile to the inch maps…..amazing.

epicyclo

Teetosugars – Member
    ‘epicyclo – Member
    Does it mention the poor bloke who had to carry all those trig points to the tops of the hills?’
    Kind of.. They took all the components up, and mixed the concrete in situ..

Damn, you’ve just destroyed my mental image of a sturdy and nimble OS assistant who portaged those lumps up a Munro. 🙂

In some of the places I’ve seen them, you do have to wonder how they got that concrete and water there though…

slowoldman

I would imagine in our climate you could fill the shuttering with sand, aggregate and cement and wait for the rain.

globalti
    Free Member

It was fascinating, especially the revelation that the Soviet Union had accurate maps of all the military bits of Britain that the OS left blank for security reasons. I remember on Polaris in the North Yorkshire Moors passing Fylingdales and being surprised that it wasn’t marked on the map at all.

Does anybody know what was the Soviet anthem they played at 40:57?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06b36q3/timeshift-series-15-2-a-very-british-map-the-ordnance-survey-story

natrix
    Free Member

Good programme but annoying that the vioce-over lady couldn’t pronounce Ordnance (she repeatedly said Ord-i-nance), a minor niggle, but it did grate.

ninfan
    Free Member

Vangellis conquest of paradise wasn’t it?

(Totally misused as its nowt to do with Russia)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Good programme that. Enjoyed learning about the early days and certainly the time taken to draw them all out. Also enjoyed the bit where the military would proof before release..

As is I always buy an OS map of the area I’m about to visit (if I haven’t already got one) I’ve quite a few now and makes me feel like I’ve actually traveled places instead of faded memories.

globalti
    Free Member

Oh blimey, you’re right. I thought it was some grand Soviet battle anthem.

kcal

among my OS collection are quite a few from ex-RAF supplies with overfly zones marked out and obstructions in blue – radio masts, power lines.. quite illuminating the level of detail..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Thanks, downloaded to watch in France ! iPlayer is great 🙂

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘PSA – A very British map: The OS story. BBC4 tonight.’ is closed to new replies.