Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • PSA: £40 off Specialized Defrosters and Shimano MW81's at CycleSurgery
  • wwaswas

May be useful for some. I love my Defrosters – great Autumn winter footwear.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/mtb-shoes/clothing/fcp-category/list

geoffj

Cheers – new Defrosters ordered!

townydc
    Free Member

I got some when they were on offer from Evans, only worn them once so far but very impressed, really really comfortable and the thought of dry feet and warm toes through the winter makes them worth the money. Top buy!!!!

iainc

Nice one 🙂 was thinking about some new defrosters, so just ordered a pair !

MSP

Having seen pictures of the 2014 defrosters, I wouldn’t buy last years (which I do own). This years have a much higher cuff on them, which was a serious design flaw on the last ones.

ps. If anyone wants some size 49 defrosters, I will probably be upgrading to the newer model.

tonyd

I got some Defrosters from Evans too, arrived yesterday. I had to order a size up as that was all they had, and I figured they’d be good for thick socks. They fit pretty well in the width, but are too long and I think the cleat position might be off like that so I’m going to send them back.

I have other Specialized (road) shoes and they don’t feel that narrow. They’re about 6 years old now so have spesh shoes narrowed or are the defrosters narrower than normal?

Might stop on the way home to try some MW81 and/or Northwaves on instead. Now I’ve committed I’m quite looking forward to ditching the overshoes!

tonyd

MSP – 2014 Defrosters are also £150 from what I’ve seen. £90 and a pair of cut down marigolds FTW!

MSP

The cuff is so low and badly designed on the 2013 model, I don’t even think a “pair of cut down marigolds” would stay in place.

Kryton57

I was all up for this to replace my Lake MX’s…. maybe not then.

tonyd

Interesting, ta. Perhaps I’ll go for Shimano or Northwave then if they fit OK. Have you seen the ‘commuter’ NWs?!

Like!

geoffj

edit – not ordered because they want to charge me Highlands and Islands postage rates 😕

Never had that before.

iainc

I have old ones, 2011 ish, which are great. I reckon the 2013 ones at £40 off are a steal. Yes, the 14 ones are most likely better, and so they should be at £60 more ! Free postage to central Scotland 🙂

MSP

It’s not just the 2014 ones seem better (not actually seen any in the flesh yet), but the 2013 ones have a design flaw that makes them crap.

geoffj
    iainc

MSP – I haven’t seen the 2013 ones in the flesh, hoping not a step down from my old ones ?

tonyd

I know this has been done to death recently, but…….!

Defrosters
    MW81
    Northwave Celsius

Which?

Edit: 2014 and assuming a good fit

Painey
    Free Member

Just ordered a pair for £80 with the code PTP10%. Even if the 2014 version is a much better design I’d be reluctant to pay almost twice as much for it.

Cheers

iainc

Hmmmm, ponders…. The 2014 ones look good, but almost double the price. Wonder how to get that extra 10% off 🙂

wwaswas

I’ve found the older style ones to be fine – anything running down your leg is going to get in the top in any event?

cr500dom
    Free Member

I ordered a pair from Evans at the same price.

They came in laced up incorrectly so needed to go back, Evans didn’t have another pair so suggested I go to my LBS and get them repaired, and Evans would pick up the bill.

How stupid did I feel going to my LBS (Specialized dealer too) and apologising for buying stuff online……. 😳

But the Boss is a great chap, did me an amazing deal on the 2014 defrosters so I sent the originals back to Evans for a refund 😀

kevin1911

Has anyone else had the problem of the Defroster flap thing that fastens down not fitting over their foot? The only way I could get it to fasten was by cutting off the circulation to my toes!

tonyd

Yes, I’m a bit stuck now too. Half price versus better. When in doubt I usually tell myself it’s a long term investment so I might as well pay more 😳

cr500dom
    Free Member

Was also going to hang on for the 45nrth Fastercat: http://45nrth.com/products/softgoods/fasterkatt

Which are due in with DC Cycles middle of October, but in the end I went defroster

vorlich
    Free Member

So if these things do get wet, how long to dry out? The thing I love about my Mavic Switchbacks is they dry out so quickly being soft shell material, but they’re not especially warm.

The 45NRTH things look brilliant, but crazy money. Look like an XC ski boot with a SPD compatible sole.

iainc

My old defrosters work on winter night rides perfectly. I’ve seen minus 10 and snow and been fine with good mountain socks. Need a size up for air gap.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Like my Defrosters, I think they’re ace. The only winter shoe I’ve ever had that really kept my feet warm and dry.

townydc
    Free Member

early days for me but i take a size 43 in normal shoes but ordered a size 45 defrosters so i can wear my woolie boolie socks. even a shimano size 45 used to cramp my toes but these seem quite wide at the top, just need some rain and cold nights to really see what they do, won’t be long i would imagine

iainc

Townydc – my spesh shoes are all 45 and my original defrosters are 46. I wear a pair of good hiking socks with them (single pair of socks only) and they are very toasty. I have ordered the 2013 ones off this thread, as the cuffs look same as the old ones, which have always been fine for me.

iainc

okay, they arrived. Sizing tighter than the old ones, so one size up doesn’t work with hiking socks. they are going back 🙁

are the defrosters narrower than normal?

– the 2013 ones are a lot narrower than the older ones…

I also wonder about the longevity of the flappy thing and pulling it over the Boa dial – I think I prefer my old ones !

domderbyshire
    Free Member

Mine have also arrived and don’t fit. I ordered a 43, based on my other Spech shoes being that size and fitting very well. The Defrosters are much narrower across the arch of the foot and will have to go back. Even a size up I think the width issue will not be addressed.I’m going to try the MW81s one size up and suspect the traditional strap closure system will be more comfortable. Still a good deal at just over £100.

silvershredder
    Free Member

Cheers wwaswas, just had my defrosters delivered. Not used them in anger yet but sizing seems spot on- 44 just like my shimano shoes (and they look sweeeet). Cant see the point of spending £150 on having an ankle strap an inch higher, it will only slow the water entry for a couple more minutes. Bring it on winter!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘PSA: £40 off Specialized Defrosters and Shimano MW81's at CycleSurgery’ is closed to new replies.