• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • PS3 help needed (HTF do I stream video to it)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As title. Lots of stuff on my PC hard drive, PS3 can see a most of it, but only play a small fraction of it, annoyingly, mainly just crap thats arrived by e-mail attachment and none of the DVD's, CD's etc that I actualy want to streem rather than having to trapes all arround the house looking for the hard copies!

Edit: preumably its a format/codec thing, so is there a bit of software that I can run to convert all the files into ones that can be read from the PS3?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I would be interested to know the answer to this too – I have just made my PS3 see my laptop and I can view pictures via our wireless connection.

It 'sees' the music too, but won't play it (currently MP4a files in iTunes).

29erKeith
    Free Member

you need a 'media server'
    windows media player can do it but you need to switch it on in the options somewhere on your computer

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

you need a 'media server'
    windows media player can do it but you need to switch it on in the options somewhere on your computer

I have done that.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

media player 11, share library find 'unknown device'-that is your ps3

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yep, done all that.

WMP11 is setup to share everything, I'm going through the right sub menu's in the PS3 (it won't play a video if your in the music tab etc). But it just says the file is corrupted whenever I try and play anything.

mrmuddybum
    Free Member

I use a free program called PS3 Media Server. It can stream directly to your PS3, and even transcode stuff that isn't PS3 compatible into one that is.
    PS3 Media Server

There is a more recent beta version you can download from their forum.

samuri
    Free Member

What you need is a decent media server.

Try this.
    http://ps3mediaserver.blogspot.com/
    or twonky
    http://www.twonkyvision.de/

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

there can be some tcp settings in the services menu that need setting to auto too

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

never needed any server for the pc, just the mac. both work well with the ps3. if streaming video it can get choppy, as if it can't stream quickly enough.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just bought an N something or other wireless doodahhh which apparenly is better than my old G something wireless dodahhh, internet certainly seems faster and more consistent, but its hard to do a back to back comparison.

will give PS3 media server a go tonight.

iain1775
    Free Member

I use a media server and codec pack called TVersity
    Seems to work for most file types
    Google it and you should find the free download

Cougar

+1 for TVersity. Using a 360 here rather than a PS3, but the principle should be the same.

Windows' Media Player's sharing is very MS-specific. It'll play WMVs etc, but that's it. TVersity transcodes on the fly, so if your PC can play it, your streaming should work.

Where it falls down is DRM-protected content; TVersity Pro is supposed to handle it, but it transcodes so slowly on my underpowered "server" that it's unwatchable. So what I've done is set up sharing both with Media Player and TVersity, using MP for DRM content (eg, iPlayer) and TVersity for everything else.

huggis
    Free Member

get a synology diskstation; any model. works a treat and means you don't need a PC on.

Drac

Yup Tversity is the answer WMP 11 is evil.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘PS3 help needed (HTF do I stream video to it)’ is closed to new replies.