Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • PS3 Help.
  • Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Hoping for a little help. Got a PS3 for Xmas and am trying to connect using my wireless network. All gos well, SSID and security password then it tells me " a connection to the access point could not be established. Check the security settings for the wireless LAN" which might as well be russian for all it means to me.

Any ideas? I though this wireless lark was supposed to be easy. I managed it with the new mac, the laptop and the Iphone, I am surprised Sony have managed to make it such a song and dance.

bigshape
    Free Member

tried re-booting the router?
    wireless should be easy but with all the different security protocols etc it can be a right pain in the ass…

what security are you using on your router? wep, etc.
    might not be compatible with the ps3…

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

WPK-PSA I think it is. I connected with an ethernet cable and it was fine, connected straight away, so it should be able to connect wirelessly shouldn't it?

mikey74
    Free Member

You may need to go into the router software and add the PS3 as a trusted source. I had to do this for my PS3 a few weeks ago. The router is probably set up to prevent other, unauthorised, computers using your router.

bigshape
    Free Member

not got MAC adress filtering on your router have you?

bigshape
    Free Member

hmmm. i think it might not be able to connect if you're using WPA-PSK until you've updated the firmware on the ps3.

you might need to connect to it with the cable, let it update, then try again…

bigshape
    Free Member

is it a netgear router?
    there's a ps3 to WPA-PSK connection error with some older firmware on the netgear routers. http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/709509-ps3-will-connect-via-wep-but-not-wpa-psk.html

grantway
    Free Member

This point screwed me I Have a Sky broadband
    and what I put in was the Net work key code
    on the netgear router and it worked.

First of all I selected the manual program mode but got it wrong!
    but then selected the auto setting and then done the above
    as in auto setting it shows your broadband signal I selected this
    I then put in my Net work key code whats on the router
    Then Hip Hip.

Hope this helps.

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Thanks for the help, but still no further.
    bigshape, yes you are correct. I have looked on the netgear site and I have the download.
    I download it but I am a new Mac user. I have to unzip the file. In windows it is just that, right click and "unzip". No idea how to unzip with a Mac (that sounds wrong) When i try to install the updated software without unzipping, it goes on for hours.

Any Mac users out there can help. I think the update to the router will sort the problem, but can't do it without the above.

Waiting with baited breath.

Cheers all.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

I had the same problem so just use the cable… tis quicker and less chance of dropping sgnal.

porterclough
    Free Member

I download it but I am a new Mac user. I have to unzip the file. In windows it is just that, right click and "unzip". No idea how to unzip with a Mac (that sounds wrong) When i try to install the updated software without unzipping, it goes on for hours.

How old is your Mac? On Snow Leopard at least, opening the zip file should unzip it automatically using Archive Utility. Alternatively use Finder, highlight the file, and use the File menu in Finder to 'Open With', you should then see what utilities you have to unzip with. If for some reason that doesn't work, try googling for "Stuffit Expander" which is free tool that handles all sorts of compression formats.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘PS3 Help.’ is closed to new replies.