• This topic has 37 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • PS3 First-person games?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

After playing, and loving, MW2 I fancy something that is more of a dark adventure game. Any recommendations?

Before you mention it, I have played Bioshock 2, and want to try something else.

jon1973
    Free Member

Uncharted 2 is one of the best games I’ve played, and only about £15.

What was Bioshock 2 like? I was looking at getting that.

akira

Borderlands isn’t fancy but good fun.

organic355
    Free Member

You want dark, then you need FEAR & FEAR 2

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eGMXPg8p_4[/video]

LMT
    Free Member

Bioshock 2, is pretty much the same as the first, but with a better storyline, and you get to play as the Big Daddy.

Would give another vote for Uncharted2, amazing game, would also add Battlefield: Bad Company is also a good shooter.

organic355
    Free Member

Unchartered 2 is awesome but it isn’t First person

EDIT: or dark

organic355
    Free Member

SINGULARITY is also a pretty dark FPS which ive just finished and enjoyed.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oSlZLXKDQA[/video]

rkk01
    Free Member

Brothers in Arms III was good as a tactical / thinking shooter – but not as good as the initial PC based versions, and the graphics will look dated against MW / MW2.

Much more rewarding though

molgrips
    Free Member

I am finding Bioshock 2 pants. You wander around following arrows and shooting stuff. There’s some waffle about a story but it’s just meaningless.

At the same time I got back into Halflife 2 whilst away at work. Now THAT is how to do a story-led FPS. Bioshock 2 is drivel by comparison.

Dunno if it’s available for PS3 tho.

I’m assuming you’ve played GTA4? Not an adventure game as such, but dark in its own way. As well as funny. And it has the best story of any I’ve played. You basically play through a sort of really long spaghetti gangster movie.

organic355
    Free Member

oh yeah +1 for the half life series, bit dated now but I defy you not to get entangled up in that storyline, best to play it right from the beginning though, can you get halflife 1 on ps3? If you can I may pick it up myself and play it again!

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah I played the first Half-Life on the pc and its still one of my favourite games.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

Resistance 2 is quite good fun. Quite old now for the PS3 but it is a good game.

molgrips
    Free Member

Half life 2 is even better.

And if you’ve not played it before, it’s not dated 🙂

I got about half way through on the desktop PC at home before married life made me play PS3 games (more sociable than sitting in the spare room all evening). Stuck in a hotel at work I started again from the beginning – brill 🙂

fubar
    Free Member

Wolfenstein is a darker shooter (depends what you mean by ‘adventure’)…I really enjoyed it and it’s now available for a reasonable price (£18.21 on Amazon)

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve read that the frame-rate of Half-life 2 on the PS3 means it stutters quite a lot: Is that an issue?

OmarLittle
    Free Member

battlefield bad company 2 is really good online

similar war theme to mw2 but you can blow up buildings and use tanks, helicopters, jet skis etc

mikey74
    Free Member

grrrr double post

mikey74
    Free Member

Yeah, I was kind of looking for something that is a bit different: BC is a bit too similar to MW2.

dan1980
    Free Member

I’m surprised no-one has mentioned Killzone 3. ’tis very good.

rossrobot
    Free Member

Another vote for Unchartered 2 – epic game
    Also, Killzone 2 is good. Third one not out yet.
    Half Life 2 is amazing but as mentioned above, shite on the PS3 – ridiculous loading times ruin the experience.
    Bad company is worth a shout if you like war shooters.
    And if you have a second controller, split screen co-op in Rainbow Six Vega 1 + 2 is brilliant fun.

All of the above should be super cheap on Amazon or in your local exchange type shop.

mikey74
    Free Member

There does seem to be a lack of first-person games doesn’t there? Certainly when compared to the number of third-person games.

I might borrow Killzone 2 of my mate, although it’s still in the same “shooty, shooty” bracket as MW2.

Creg

Fallout 3?

Slow to start but it does get pretty good. Loads of DLC available and New Vegas coming out in the next few weeks.

Borderlands is very good, but more amusing than dark.

The Half Life series is brilliant. Portal is worth a look too

molgrips
    Free Member

I have considered Portal. However what with Bioshock 2 to get through (can’t quite bring myself to abandon it), GTA4 Liberty City Stories and GT5 when it comes out, there won’t be much time. Especially with Mrs Grips playing Oblivion rather a lot 🙂

Sidney
    Free Member

I’ve just finshed and would recommend Condemmed 2.

Play it alone at night in the dark and it can be quite creepy. I had shivers going down my back at times…..

Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 are worth a play.

organic355
    Free Member

GTA4

I got bored with this about half way through, found it very repetitive, drive somewhere get a mission, drive somewhere else, maybe I should give it another shot?

organic355
    Free Member

Yeah, I was kind of looking for something that is a bit different

Definitely try SINGULARITY, it is a FPS, but with added time manipulation stuff to make it interesting. I really enjoyed it.

GW
    Free Member

I enjoyed resistance 2 too. seen it for £7.99 (pre-owned)

I’m quite enjoying Kane & Lynch Dog Days atm – it’s not first person but its fairly dark and there’s a lot of shooting. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I got bored with this about half way through, found it very repetitive, drive somewhere get a mission, drive somewhere else, maybe I should give it another shot?

Hmm, I can see that, however it depends where you got to. Some of the missions are epic and hard; and the real point about the game isn’t free gameplay, it’s the fact that you are playing out a part in a movie. Or rather, an epic series, because there’s far more plot content in the game than there ever would be in a film. That’s what appealed to me.

That and the immersion into the world of Liberty City. I tend to like games that are really immersive, with a really well thought out and presented back story, not juts a token like in Bioshock 2 for instance.

Lifer
    Free Member

FPS:

Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising – my fave FPS at the moment, describes itself as a ‘combat simulator’ so a bit more realistic than others (only takes one or two shots to die, have to use squad tactics etc)
    Killzone 2 – Great game looking forward to the next. Loved the feeling of weight they managed to get.
    MAG – good fun but multiplayer only. Massive games though and gets pretty hectic, only good when people are working together.
    Medal of Honour Airborne – Only just started playing this but enjoying it so far.
    Battlefield Bad Company – Another great game, being able to blow holes in anything you see never gets old!
    COD series – lowest common denominator imo, should be billed as an ice skating simulator

Lifer
    Free Member

And on GTA the best is still San Andreas, GTAIV kind of lost all the fun stuff from that imo

molgrips
    Free Member

San Andreas was good, but IV is different. Much more story, fewer toys.

Lifer
    Free Member

Don’t think there’s a big difference between the stories.

Only mission on GTA4 that made me think “wow” was the bank robbery one.

molgrips
    Free Member

The end was also brilliant.

And the big where you have to choose to execute Vlad really amazed me actually. I never normally kill anyone I don’t have to, but I did take pleasure in putting a bullet in his head. Making a pacifist execute somebody in cold blood.. now that’s immersive game play.

Creg

I have considered Portal. However what with Bioshock 2 to get through (can’t quite bring myself to abandon it), GTA4 Liberty City Stories and GT5 when it comes out, there won’t be much time. Especially with Mrs Grips playing Oblivion rather a lot

You can rattle through Portal in a couple of hours, it’s so addictive! I got it with Orange box and thought it was just some online crap then I opened it out of curiosity and was hooked. The further you get with it the weirder it gets and then you’re just left thinking “eh?”.

Not sure if it’s still free or not.

Drac

Operation Flashpoint:Dragon Rising

Don’t waste a single penny on this utter pile of poop.

Half Life 2 runs really bad on PS3 Valve have apologised for this and swear never to admit a bad port again.

Uncharted 2 is very good but is third person great fun though.

Admiralable
    Free Member

Fallout 3?

Slow to start but it does get pretty good. Loads of DLC available and New Vegas coming out in the next few weeks.

DLC makes Fallout 3 slow and buggy as hell even if you buy the Game of the year edition 🙁 Spoilt it for me.

Lifer
    Free Member

Don’t waste a single penny on this utter pile of poop.

What’s wrong with it?

Drac

What’s wrong with it?

Dumb as hell AI, it claimed to be a sandbox game but all the maps are set up, it claimed you can explore anywhere on the island you can’t, poor hit boxes and as realistic as an A-Team shoot out during fights.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘PS3 First-person games?’ is closed to new replies.