Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • PS3 audio cable.. yes.. I know.. groan
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I need a cable longer than the one it came with to reach my hifi. Given that the PS3 is meant to be a reasonbly decent audio player, does anyone know of the existence of slightly better than cheapo cables for audio?

Only looking to spend about £30, and only if it helps.. and yes I am aware of the history of audio interconnect discussions on this site 🙂

Optical is not an option unless I go into the AV amp and then back out to the hifi. Which is on the other side of the room.

Drac

I just used a cheapo 15′ one I had lying around until I switched to optical. Can’t say I was disappointed in the sound quality even though I never used a directional power cable too.

Cougar

How long a cable is “longer”? If you’re bothered about interconnects from and audio quality perspective then excessive cable length will be a concern.

Why not just use your AV amp?

I think if I had that problem, I’d be redesigning my room.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

That Cables are decent – pick one out of the selection you need.

Sundayjumper

Not sure about decent, but I know using a PS3 controller as a remote is a PITA.

Optical to the AV amp for games, use the existing hifi for CD.

Or rearrange the room so that the AV amp handles both.

withersea
    Free Member

By a bluetooth ps3 remote as well. Saves huge contributions to the swearbox!

molgrips
    Free Member

How long a cable is “longer”?

About 12″ longer than the stock one. Not much. I could move the PS3 but then it wouldn’t be in the middle of the bench it’s on, and the optical cable woudn’t reach the AV amp for movie purposes.

Why not just use your AV amp?

Because the hifi amp is quite nice, and connected to relatively decent speakers. The AV amp otoh is nowhere near as nice quality and connected to some budget tannoy AV speakers. Music through the AV setup sounds awful by comparison – it has been tried. The AV amp only has one set of speaker outputs so I can’t wire that to the same speakers as the nice hifi. It does have pre-amp outputs though so I could wire those directly to the hifi with a long enough cable but that would have to be quite long. Not sure if it would sound better or worse than using the DAC in the PS3 but it’s worth a try. But that means three remotes, although they aren’t used a lot when playing random background music during the day.

Although.. an obvious idea would be to switch the AV amp to the cabinet in the other side of the bench… that would solve the length issues!

Already have the PS3 remote btw but even better is a PS3 slim that can be controlled via HDMI through the telly. Works most of the time, until some app requires you to push triangle or L1 or something.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘PS3 audio cable.. yes.. I know.. groan’ is closed to new replies.