Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Prudhoe, Stocksfield riding
  • jonba
    Free Member

I was exploring at the weekend and found some new trails around this area. Bit of a trek from my house but it looked like there must be more around the area. Broomley woods was interesting. Obviously some keen dirt jumpers in the area but is there anything XC? There was some good stuff around the Hammerite factory as well.

I was mostly going along the river. Any gems or bits I should have a look at?

toons
    Free Member

You’ve got the woods behind Prudhoe hospital but I haven’t ridden them in ages.

From Prudhoe you can pedal up to Chopwell.

Also there’s a run down in whittle dene (Ovingham) and Heddon Woods.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Bit of a trek from my house

Which direction are you coming from?

Bit further west from Broomley (and easily linked) you’ve got Dipton Wood above Corbridge which doesn’t have a massive network of trails but there a couple of absolute belters. Keeping to the river, the cheeky path between Riding Mill and Corbridge is good fun too. And then you’re at Hexham with all of our local stuff 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

It’s one of those areas where there are lots of little bits but it’s not at all obvious how to link them up. Strava heat map looking for the faint fuzzy lines is a good place to start…

STATO
    Free Member

Jon, there is some more stuff South of Prudhoe that we found recently. If your out at the weekend let me know, I’d be up for a bit of exploring if the weather is not too extreme. Rich E.

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

As toons says, if you don’t mind a bit of a schlep, Chopwell is worth a visit.

jonba
    Free Member

Coming from Just North of Newcastle. Should discount Chopwell, I know it reasonably well so do tend to go there a bit although it can be horrendous in weather like this.

Much further west makes it a long day. Maybe when then there is more daylight and the trails drier.

teethgrinder

As mentioned – Eltringham Woods (behind Hammerite), Prudhoe Hall Woods, Hyons Wood, Whittle Dene – can all be linked up if you don’t mind the odd road section.

I tend to go along Edgewell House Road towards High Mickley, then down Lumley’s Lane to the old pit and have a blast around there, then along Hyons Wood to Moor Road to do Prudhoe Hall Woods for a bit.

Then come out on the A695, back towards Mickley, then down to Eltringham Woods and the Riverside Park, along to Wylam. Cross over the river at Points Bridge then up into Horseley Woods. After that, Ovingham, up into Whittle Dene to the top, then hoon it back down, over the river and back up the hill to the top of the valley then home.

Might be able to make it out at the weekend if you fancy a guided tour.

Edit: sounds like there’s a few of us who know the area – I’m from Ovingham and been riding all of the above since 1989!

durhambiker
    Free Member

Might have to head up that way with the bike sometime. Work round there once a fortnight and keep thinking it’d be interesting

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Prudhoe, Stocksfield riding’ is closed to new replies.