Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Provisional driver insurance
  • rocketman
    Free Member

rocket jr is learning to drive. He’s having driving lessons but would like to get some additional practice with me and his mum

Looking at short-term provisional driver insurance and it’s coming out at £150-£200 for a couple of months but for £500 I could add him on to mrs rocket’s insurance

Is this premium likely to go through the roof when rocket jr passes his test?

Ta

scotroutes

Yes – it will go up a lot as he will then be unsupervised.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Is this premium likely to go through the roof when rocket jr passes his test?

Yes, premium will likely be over 3 times that

grim168
    Free Member

marmalade is who we used. think it was 85 quid a month to put our daughter on a 1.8 mondeo. It’s a stand alone policy just for learners.
    http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance

annebr
    Free Member
    rocketman
    Free Member

Hmm

interestingly – and incredible as it may seem – the insurers have just informed me that the named driver premium won’t increase after rocket jr passes his test (More Th>n)

br
    Free Member

If he needs more time at the wheel, get him more lessons.

We didn’t drive on L’s with any of ours, mainly as we drive auto’s, but I had a bad experience with my folks (+30 y/o) and wouldn’t want to inflict it on my kids.

singlesman
    Free Member

Only issue being until he has his own policy he won’t be accumulating any ‘no-claims bonus’
    Our son got a fully comp policy while taking lessons, about £1200 which has now dropped to about £730 at 18 with 1 years no- claims. Maybe worth looking into?

bruneep

Son 18 first yr of driving is named driver on wife’s car (direct line) he can build up his NCD on her policy if his policy is taken out with direct line. No idea how expensive they will be at that point but it’s a start for him.

1st yr on her policy was £1100 renewal in this month got it down to just over £400

dannybgoode

As has been mentioned in similar threads before, once he has passed his test so long as he is just a named driver and uses the car infrequently you’ll be ok.

If you or Mrs RM are thinking of fronting a policy and naming RMJr as a driver when in fact he is going to be the main user of the car then it could all end very badly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Provisional driver insurance’ is closed to new replies.