Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)
  • Proud to be English?
  • jonba
    Free Member

Various people posting this on Facebook as apparntly today is St. Georges day.

Dragons, Turks and religion aside are you proud to be English*?

I can’t say I am, it just happens to be the place where I was born and isn’t an accomplishment just a coincidence.

*If you aren’t English you can answer as well re: your own nationality.

ads678

Yep, Happy St Georges day everyone! 😀

Edit: I’m also proud to be British and UKish.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m British rather than English, but have no problem with a bit of patriotism one day a year.

Seems to work for other parts of the UK.

Northwind

I like being British, I’m only really proud of things I had anything to do with though. My mum and dad ****ed there (JUST THE ONCE) but I can’t really take the credit.

mefty
    Free Member

I can’t say I am, it just happens to be the place where I was born and isn’t an accomplishment just a coincidence.

You’ve won the lottery of life, yet you are still not happy, the youth of today, I don’t know.

DaRC_L

are you proud to be English*?

yes and in a truly English way I express it by being meh about St. George’s day and all other jingoistic, nationalistic expressions of patriotism 🙂

yunki
    Free Member

Yeah sort of, but it’s a weird concept..
    Am I proud of our multiculturalism, our racists, our hippies, our chavs, our monarchy, government, countryside, bankers, alcohol problems, sporting achievements, scientists?

None of it was down to my input anyway

Patriotism doesn’t make sense

slowoldman

Reasonably. The old place has its issues but a bit like a comfie old armchair

I’m also proud to have had a German mum and experienced another nation’s character and outlook.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Proud to be both…Happy St G day!

Pity we cant fly a flag to celebrate although Google are on the case

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yes. Also part Scot, Welsh and Irish.

aP
    Free Member

St George – good to remember a Turkish gent under a flag associated with both the Knights Templar and the Genovese.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes, happy St Georges day. It’s the dogs 10th birthday and she’s called Georgia to celebrate the fact she was born on this day. My daughter put up a very nice picture of her on Instagram today too.

Also FWIW I am very proudly British and celebrate the Union with the Irish, Scots and Welsh who have their own identities

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m proudly English and British living in Australia. Being English and proud has been taken bu the racists and thugs. It would be nice to celebrate the fact that we can stand together and be proud of being English in a good way.

theotherjonv

Yes. Proud to be British and English. We have a long and proud tradition of being inclusionist, with a multi-cultural society that is the envy of many, and I’m proud that I can go out to eat and get a plate of curry, pizza, jerk chicken….. just as easily as i can get a pie or a plate of fish and chips.

I’m not proud of the way that the cross of St george, and St george’s day can be subverted by a noisy minority that make it stand against the things that make me proud to be English.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Was it Reginald D Hunter who said patriotism was the unwavering belief that a geographical location was superior by virtue of the fact, through no control of your own, that you were born there.

jonba
    Free Member

You’ve won the lottery of life, yet you are still not happy, the youth of today, I don’t know.

I consider myself lucky to be a British citizen but I have played little part in establishing the laws and customs of the country that i enjoy so don’t feel that I can take pride in them.

I’m not sure I’m considered the youth of today, maybe the youth of 10-15 years ago.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I pretend to be Welsh (1 grand parent) but I married one and have lived in Wales longer than I’ve lived in England.

DezB
    Free Member

2 world wars and one world cup doo da doo da.

Er, no.

Trimix
    Free Member

No.

stewartc
    Free Member

Yes

allthepies
    Free Member

Yes, 100%

koldun
    Free Member

No.

kimbers

‘s a bit silly, we’re all africans really

donald
    Free Member

Happy St George’s day to all my English chums.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yes very much so.

Never British or UKish

DaRC_L

patriotism was the unwavering belief that a geographical location was superior by virtue of the fact, through no control of your own, that you were born there.

bu@@£$ation that makes me British, damn the echoes of empire that caused my parents to be in a tiny part of Arabia when I was born

molgrips
    Free Member

but have no problem with a bit of patriotism one day a year.

Patriotism has a completely different spin if your particular country is dominant or dominated, doens’t it?

Anyway – I am proud to be British since most (but not all!) of our achievements have been as Britain. Even when it wasn’t called that 🙂

None of it was down to my input anyway

Patriotism doesn’t make sense

Doesn’t matter – patriotism isn’t about taking credit, it’s simply being happy about your country. And as countries go, this one’s pretty good in many ways so overall, I am.

P-Jay
    Free Member

No sadly no – but very Proud to be Welsh and British.

I’m in no way an expert, but I spend a lot of time in England and have many friends East of the Severn – people seem less keen to be proud of their Englishness, it seems to either give an impression of Tea, stiff upper lips and Cricket or the image of a darker time when the Flag of St. George was more likely to be draped around the shoulders of a football hooligan than waved by a sweet faced kid at a party or something.

I wish there was more of a party feel about St. Georges day as their is about St. David’s day, most people will wear a daffodil badge or something, anything Welshy on St. Davids day, flags hang from builds and everyone seems to smile a tiny bit more than other days.

Happy St. Georges day England, enjoy it, it’s part of what makes you (collectively) you.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You’ve won the lottery of life, yet you are still not happy,

He’s English, not Scottish so I can’t say I blame him 😀

andeh

I’m not English, I’m Northern…….erm, eee by gum.

D0NK

Being English and proud has been taken bu the racists and thugs.

that does appear to be the case, part of the reason I refrain, the other being accident of birth probably isn’t something to get excited about (see also monarchy).

I quite like UK/england and I’m happy that I was born and live here. Happy “turkish/palestinian bloke who served in the roman army and possibly killed a crocodile day”.

lovewookie

while in the UK, no. I see the general population represented by stupid people with an overinflated perception of self worth.

I’d like to see what other nations perception is of what it is to be english, but my view comes straight off the high street.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’m of non-English ancestry, so I’m somewhat bemused by St George’s Day…plus it seems to have been hijacked by the right-wing crowd.

I’d feel better if we celebrated a “Britannia” or “Boudicca” day or something, preferably with the onus on celebrating the rest of the UK and making it inclusive for everyone.

Rockape63
    Free Member

You’ve won the lottery of life,

To expand….’To be born an Englishman is to win first prize in the lottery of life!’ (Cecil Rhodes 1853-1902)

Looking around the world these days, I think he was right!

Sandwich

Boudicca Day I could get behind. A quick trip to Colchester for a spot of cleansing and big knives on the Nissan. What’s not to like?

bencooper
    Free Member

I think “proud” isn’t quite the right word- I’m happy to be Scottish, pleased to be part of this country and the society we have even though I don’t do much to contribute to that (other than being, you know, a person). It’s not really about where I was born, it’s about where I like to live. Civic nationalism rather than ethnic nationalism, if you like.

I don’t feel British, really – I used to, and still do in some ways. Hornblower, Inspector Morse, Brunel, Shakespeare – there’s a lot there that makes up a shared culture. But it’s also always been made clear to me, more and more so in recent years, that as a Scot I’m not really a full part of that. My part in the story of the British Isles is to be the drunk bloke in the kilt, butt of jokes about bad diet and poverty.

lunge

theotherjonv has just summed it it much better than I could.

Yes. Proud to be British and English. We have a long and proud tradition of being inclusionist, with a multi-cultural society that is the envy of many, and I’m proud that I can go out to eat and get a plate of curry, pizza, jerk chicken….. just as easily as i can get a pie or a plate of fish and chips.

I’m not proud of the way that the cross of St george, and St george’s day can be subverted by a noisy minority that make it stand against the things that make me proud to be English.
    Spot on that is.

mogrim

Spot on that is.

Yeah, I can agree with that too.

bencooper
    Free Member

Yup, it is a great pity that the racist idiots have kidnapped your flag.

nemesis
    Free Member

yes and in a truly English way I express it by being meh about St. George’s day and all other jingoistic, nationalistic expressions of patriotism

is why

racist idiots have kidnapped your flag.

So really, the racist idiots being associated with the English flag demonstrates the absolute essence of Englishness which is stiff upper lip and refusing to get too excited about things, in public at least 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 156 total)

The topic ‘Proud to be English?’ is closed to new replies.