Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)
  • Proud men who were brave in a world that we would never understand
  • montylikesbeer

At last a load of brave men and women get the recognition of a time in our collective existence that I find hard to get my head around.

Brave Brave Men

kerv
    Free Member

Yep, pretty shameful that it took this long.

mtbfix

For better or worse folk looked back at area bombing and found it a mite distasteful. However I cannot see where the difference lies between bombing from the air vs artillery flattening northern Europe in the latter stages of the war. This memorial is well overdue given that Churchill is regarded as a national hero and he was where the buck stopped. 55000 men lost flying these missions.

hh45
    Free Member

Long overdue indeed. A mate of mine’s dad was in bomber command and still wont talk about it at all. I cannot even begin to imagine coping with that level of fatality.

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

My Dad was trained as rear gunner and was in a holding regiment waiting till it was his turn ,nerve wracking he told me , they got through rear gunners fast

cheekyboy
    Free Member

At last a load of brave men and women get the recognition of a time in our collective existence that I find hard to get my head around.

Remind what did the women do ???

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I once went paintballing, never again.
    God knows what these guys must’ve been going through.
    My Dad was with Coastal Command but I don’t think he ever got shot at.

Very very brave fellas.

seavers
    Free Member

I am in no doubt that these were brave men but surely the same could be said for all pilots, gunners and bombardiers that fought and died for their respective countries. Still it is a shame Bomber Command hasn’t been given the proper recognition until now. They say a week is a long time in politics, 67 years is a p*ss take.

Pieface

What did the women do?

Built the planes, ran the factories, worked the farms.. basically pretty much everything on the home front as well as millitary work

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Built the planes, ran the factories, worked the farms.. basically pretty much everything on the home front as well as millitary work

So basically everyone between 1939-1945 who was`nt in prison deserves a memorial ???

TuckerUK
    Free Member

And the survival rate for those women?

Bomber Command crews suffered an extremely high casualty rate: 55,573 killed out of a total of 125,000 aircrew (a 44.4% death rate), the highest loss rate of any major branch of the British armed forces. A further 8,403 were wounded in action and 9,838 became prisoners of war. Bomber Command aircrew had a worse chance of survival than an infantry officer in World War I.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I once went paintballing, never again.

LOL this initially came across as the most inappropriate reply in the history of STW, then I read on!

stavromuller
    Free Member

My late father-in-law served as air crew out in Burma, just wouldn’t talk about it. What boils my p*ss is all this b*ll*cks about war crimes, how many German aircrew were tried for bombing Coventry, London, etc.?

sobriety
    Free Member

My Grandpa failed his Radio operators exam and was given the option of being a rear gunner or going onto an air sea rescue launch. He chose air sea rescue and spent his war fishing trainee pilots of of the atlantic off of south africa, Lucky bastard.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

One thing lots of people forget, or chose to ignore, is that as servicemen you aren’t asked your opinion on whether to attack target X or not. You don’t get a choice about it, you do as you’re told, and quite rightly so. To blame the aircrew for choices not of their making is a little crass to says the least.

Northwind

I can understand why some people might feel a bit uneasy about the bombing campaign- though I don’t myself, just feels like handwringing. But what I can’t understand at all is people who hold it against the crews. They deserve memorial and more.

Russell96

Agree well overdue, I’m full of admiration for all of them, just wanted to say so before this topic goes downhill/gets closed.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

One thing lots of people forget, or chose to ignore, is that as servicemen you aren’t asked your opinion on whether to attack target X or not. You don’t get a choice about it, you do as you’re told, and quite rightly so. To blame the aircrew for choices not of their making is a little crass to says the least.

Who blames the aircrew ?
    I ve heard and read harsh critism of both Harris and Churchill but never specific critism of the bomber crews themselves !

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Who blames the aircrew ?

They were ignore by Churchill, refused a medal, and until now a memorial. For the most dangerous branch of the service that’s pretty abysmal, and although is might not be blaming them, it’s certainly punishing them. Just asked any Bomber Command aircrew how terribly betrayed they feel/felt.

Sandwich

What did the women do?

Delivered planes to the air force from the factories. Some of these ladies never arrived at the delivery airfield.

mrmo
    Free Member

The Nuremberg Defence?

I wonder about the situation they were in, how much is bravery and how much is almost mental shut down. Running on nervous energy, trying to focus on the task in hand and forget everything else. When you know you will probably die, and you need to ignore any self preservation instinct.

I used to work with an Falklands veteran who had fought at Goose Green and it was something he would never talk about, something he almost tried to block from his memory.

Drac

Can we leave the petty arguing out of this thread please.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Althought the bombing methods may have been questionable (but successful) , the bravery of these men is not in question.

This is a long awaited recognition of their efforts and bravery and I welcome it, even if it is very very late.

Peyote
    Free Member

Can we leave the petty arguing out of this thread please

I agree, although the reasons why it has taken so long for the recognition need to be explained and understood by everyone. There’s a lot of bitterness around and the background to it all has to be aired even if that involves some poor decisions on behalf of those in charge both during and after WW2.

Either way though, not remembering the folk who put themselves in such danger (for whatever reason) is a poor show.

hora
    Free Member

If we wilfully decided to raise a civillian target and destroyed the whole of Buenos Aires what would happen to our leaders? They’d be war criminals.

No it wasn’t another time. Even at the time it was seen as a nasty business hence why the pilots were not honoured before today.

hels
    Free Member

44.3% casualty rate ? Not as bad as the ANZACs in WWI, 58% casualty rate for the colonial cannon fodder. Some small towns in NZ the list of names on the war memorial is longer than the local phone book.

Sorry for slight high-jack but these things are always relative, and statistics need context.

br
    Free Member

If we wilfully decided to raise a civillian target and destroyed the whole of Buenos Aires what would happen to our leaders? They’d be war criminals.

Eh? Only the losers become war criminals, fact.

flanagaj
    Free Member

My Canadian Grand Father who is now in his late 80s was a bomb aimer on the Lancasters during WWII, he has told me some amazing stories!

It’s such a shame that this memorial has taken so long. When ever I asked him about Bomber Harris, he only ever had a good word to say about him.

richc
    Free Member

It’s such a shame that this memorial has taken so long. When ever I asked him about Bomber Harris, he only ever had a good word to say about him.

Fair enough, doesn’t mean he wasn’t responsible for a war crime(s) though, and as hard as it is to swallow mrmo has a good point about the Nuremberg Defence, as members of the RAF are still seen as terrorists and war criminals in Germany*

Good people, put in a shitty position IMHO, who did what they believed would safeguard there friends and family and paid a very high price.

* To the point that someone where I work has the surname Harris, and when offered a job in Dresden by a a US firm, it was squashed by the local german manager.

hora
    Free Member

Funny how we went into a war with Germany to free Poland. Poland was left under tyranny.

America and Britain wanted freedom from tyranny yet we oppressed people in our own lands on racial grounds.

We then fought a war using tactics against women and children who were unarmed.

If it wasn’t for the likes of Auschwitz there would really be no credibility for the whole affair conducted by the Allies.

nealglover
    Free Member

* To the point that someone where I work has the surname Harris, and when offered a job in Dresden by a a US firm, it was squashed by the local german manager.

Mmmmmmmm.

richc
    Free Member

America and Britain wanted freedom from tyranny yet we oppressed people in our own lands on racial grounds.

It was nothing to do with tyranny, it was all to do with Money. I don’t think anyone is deluded enough to think that we went to war for due to a moral objection.

wrecker
    Free Member

as members of the RAF are still seen as terrorists and war criminals in Germany*

Considering that they’re soooo ashamed of their nazi days, they do harbour some ill-feeling. I understand they still hate commando’s after the actions of the original army commando’s (to the point it was agreed that no commando forces would ever be stationed there).

This Nuremberg stuff is nonsense and counter to a well disciplined military. The responsibility to ensure that military actions are proper falls with politicians and command.
    A free thinking military would be a disaster.

If it wasn’t for the likes of Auschwitz there would really be no credibility for the whole affair conducted by the Allies.

FFS have a word with yourself hora.

hora
    Free Member

Britain did and it was also partly a case of ‘we will be next’.

The US sold lend/lease massive amounts. They were the only country that came out massively richer..

atlaz
    Free Member

Calling bullshit on that too. Ask the French, Dutch, Belgians, Luxembourgers etc whether they were happy being invaded (and that’s ignoring what happened elsewhere). My grandfather spent the entire war (well, until mid-44) driving trains for the Germans, whilst the RAF tried to blow him up. His father was blown to pieces by a poorly aimed bomb dropped by an American air raid. His brother was almost drowned by the after effects of the dam busters raid in a work camp in Germany. Despite this, they considered the liberation of Europe extremely important and were always very positive despite the losses on all sides.

Sounds like your suggestion would have been to appease the Germans and let them get on with it in Europe and the rest of the world 🙄

hels
    Free Member

Hora, really ? So if Hitler hadn’t burned 6 million people in gas ovens, you think Britain should have put up no resistance to the German invasion ?? Interesting idea.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Can we leave the petty arguing out of this thread please.

Its quite hard to …do we have to just praise them or not comment?
    I am not sure thisis what they were fighting for

I agree with Horas first post

No it wasn’t another time. Even at the time it was seen as a nasty business hence why the pilots were not honoured before today.

whilst they were brave in the sense they had a very high chance of not surviving what they were doing was morally dubious and did not involve targeting legitimate military targets.
    it is hard to praise their bravery[ they were] and ignore what they were actually doing hence why even now it is contentious

The war against the Nazis had less to do with money than any other war though it was a response to German expansionism

hora
    Free Member

Hora, really ? So if Hitler hadn’t burned 6 million people in gas ovens, you think Britain should have put up no resistance to the German invasion ?? Interesting idea.

No you are misreading my posts. I’m saying if the ovens weren’t discovered or to the degree that they were our actions would be seen in a different light/there would be alot less emphasis on the fight of good and ‘evil’ that we portray today.

True we didn’t lay waste to Peasants/starve Russians enmasse however we did kill knowingly target and kill civilians en-masse from the air.

What is the difference? Only the tools.

It would be verging on Sycophancy to expect praise on such a topic. Sorry I’m not ungrateful for the sacrifice of soldiers in WWII however it was fought and waged in a different way to WWI on many counts.

loum
    Free Member

coolhandluke – Member
    Althought the bombing methods may have been questionable (but successful) , the bravery of these men is not in question.
    This is a long awaited recognition of their efforts and bravery and I welcome it, even if it is very very late.

+1, and I reckon this is what the thread was intended to focus on.

(However, those that share the view above, “If we wilfully decided to raise a civillian target and destroyed the whole of Buenos Aires what would happen to our leaders? They’d be war criminals

should look more closely at the non-hypothetical bombing actions of nato in Serbia in the ’90s. Its not really the right thread for that discussion though. )

El-bent
    Free Member

Funny how we went into a war with Germany to free Poland. Poland was left under tyranny.

We then fought a war using tactics against women and children who were unarmed.

We may have gone to war initially to free Poland, but wars like this have a habit of being a tad unpredictable. Did we know that Germany would attack Russia? As for attacking civilians, it was total war.

I would suggest that you are right to question yesterdays war with todays morality, but not to pour disdain over what happened then, but only in the context that we have learned from this lesson not to repeat it in the future.

While I’m pretty much against having memorials to past glory’s erected, particularly so long after the event, in this case it is fitting that the people involved should be remembered, they weren’t the ones giving the orders, but many of them suffered the consequences.

This memorial should be serve as a reminder that these men fought against tyranny using questionable methods by todays standards. I think that is a good thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 109 total)

The topic ‘Proud men who were brave in a world that we would never understand’ is closed to new replies.