Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Proud dad moment
  • mrhoppy

Hoppy jr has been fairly uninterested in his pedal bike since he got it last Christmas. He’s been happy to pedal along on it on his tag along and use his balance bike which he’s rapidly growing out of, but not at all fussed about actually riding on his own.

Took him out to the local woods today with the view we’d try the bigger bike without pedals. When I got it out of the boot he said he’d ride it with the pedals and pretty much just rode off with just some help getting underway. By the end of it he was starting himself too. 😀

Means I’m going to have to get quicker running now though.

jamj1974

Excellent stuff. It’s all about when they make the decision IME.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Top stuff. I don’t have kids but taught a mate’s son to ride a bike as his dad can’t ride a bike or understand the problems his kid was having.
    I felt really made up the first time he rode off on his own, turned around and came back.

Speshpaul

Best post of the day

mrhoppy

Looking forward to him riding uphill on his own. The blue at glentress towing a tag along is waaay too much like hard work.

tthew

I felt really made up the first time he rode off on his own, turned around and came back.

I felt that way when I taught my daughter to ride her bike. Now she’s reached 16, I wish I’d not bothered with the turning around skill.

Sandwich

I felt that way when I taught my daughter to ride her bike. Now she’s reached 16, I wish I’d not bothered with the turning around skill.

😆 😆

Just 6 or so years before she realises that you know what you’re on about tthew. (I have the T’ Shirt).

matt_outandabout

Kids on bikes rock. 8)

ratherbeintobago

They do. #2 announced last summer she wanted a proper bike with pedals, and got #1’s hand down at Christmas. Just needs to grow her legs a bit…

kimbers

Means

I’m going to have to get quicker running now though.

My eldest, now 6 got a 20inch Hoy for Xmas,

It’s a bit big for him tbh, but crikey he’s fast on it, have to ride with him now, now way I can keep up running!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

my partner’s eldest had struggled on the bike his dad got him a couple of years ago with stabilisers on it, so i got him a balance bike that he took to almost immediately and was bombing around the trails in their local park. after about 6 monthf on it, late last year he asked me to take the stabilisers off his other bike so he could try it, so we went back over to the park, i got him to put his knee pads on and told him to expect to fall off but that it wouldn’t hurt and to just get back up and try again (he’s quite adventurous and resilient anyway!). popped into the cafe to grab us some drinks, and when i came back outside he was riding around the play park on his own, with absolutely no help from me to even get him started. mega proud, to be honest, but also a bit sad that his dad didn’t get to do all of this stuff (not that he probably cares that much though).
    i’m now looking at a trailer so we can take his little brother out with us…

cookeaa

Took eldest out new years eve for a local spin, stopped by the BMX track, first try at rolling up and over a double:

Lack of momentum, stall halfway, falling off, pedal to the knee, tears and cuddles. Back on within a couple of minutes, aced the next go…

Youngest is itching to get out on the eBay special I picked up after Christmas for her, but it needs brakes sorting and I have a pair of bars that might be lighter, seatpost too and some better grips… I simply seem to have acquired more spannering duties.

But it is very good to have them keen.

mrhoppy

And today we went to the BMX track where he was doing laps.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Proud dad moment’ is closed to new replies.