Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Protein Shakes
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Well you were the one who stated that you use protein shakes to substitute your diet.

No I didn’t. Try reading what what I actually wrote before saddling up the high horse.

To the non-wankpuffins who answered thanks for the input, very useful. He does have a very balanced diet, my wife and I both see to that. He’s been playing rugby league since he was 7 or 8 alongside swimming and gymnastics (both now stopped). I guess he trains with the club twice a week, goes to the gym 3 times a week and does parkrun with me on a Saturday morning so he is also reasonably active. I suppose a little extra protein could prove beneficial.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

It certainly won’t hurt. Fill yer boots, I say.

BoardinBob

The Russian Supplements as they’re known in my gym

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Aye that protein data does seem a bit fruity. As I mentioned, it was tge first Google hit for nutritional comparison and punched in protein shake and chicken breast.

FWIW I remember being about that age and gazing at the Weider supplements in the Index catalogue and the promise of unlimited muscle. I’d imagine him and his pals are thinking the same. I’d say go for it, you could cut down the portion if there is any concern and you could back it up with some sound nutritional advice.

patriotpro
    Free Member

BillOddie – Member
    Protein supplements are a big no-no during puberty, it can inhibit overall physical development as the body will will not produce testerone to the levels it should but rather sit back and let the supplements do it instead. No substitute for nature!
    According to…???

That’s come from 2 different people, one a p.e teacher, the other a PT. I asked the PT to cross-check what the PE teacher said and although he didn’t absolutely agree, it said it made theoretical sense. Yes I accept not conclusive.

There other issues associated also, not solely to do with ‘shakes’; few articles out there.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

So, not any kind of scientific study as the source then.

If you replace the word “protein” with “steroids” you might be closer to the mark. As in, if you cram down D-Bol as a teenager, your hormonal axis is suppressed. This much is somewhat more studied.

Protein is food.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Protein is food.

And food’s produce a hormonal response, particularly stuff that meant to make you grow.

(I have no idea whether too much protein as a teenager is an issue in that respect, it sounds like hookum to me, I’d be worried about the impact of wear and tear on his joints, injuries etc as a potential side effect of too much training aided by supplements, but not the protein itself)

IANANutritionist

I’d not worry, there’s far worse he could be doing as a teenager!

paton
    Free Member

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Pharmacy/Pages/Body-building-and-sports-supplements-the-dangers.aspx

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tCml6wtqrY[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWpxRa3wRm8[/video]

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxy6mYW94ws[/video]

patriotpro
    Free Member

Protein is food.

Correct; Are you intimating that it’s therefore safe if it’s a ‘food’?

Some food isn’t good for you at all, and some that may be good for you in the quantity can be harmful when consumed excessively.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

once again…

Insert usual stuff about it forming part of a healthy diet.

paton
    Free Member

Would cheesecake be called cheesecake if it did not have cheese in it?
    What sort of mince is it in mincepies?
    What sort of duck is Bombay duck?

iian
    Free Member

If it’s a straight protein shake, (minimal carbs / fats) he’ll be fine.

There’s no real drawbacks to a higher protein diet, and I can’t see how his age would affect that.

So long as he’s still eating normally around that, he’ll be grand.

mactheknife

Protein shakes can definitely be of use for convenience, they get some fuel / recovery whatever down your neck easily and quickly. BUT they are also a bit of a fad for people who don’t really know how to train, just exercise a bit and feel they will get better results by drinking them. These people should learn to push themselves a bit harder / smarter to get better results but thats not how the supplement industry works though. The promised land of chiseled bodies are where its at 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Buy this and read it

It’s heavier going than the back of a tub of protein powder but it will tell you that the human body is much better at absorbing protein when it’s accompanied by sugar.

Coyote – don’t waste your money. Milk.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

There’s no real drawbacks to a higher protein diet.

Except kidney problems if you take it to an extreme.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Coyote – don’t waste your money. Milk.

12 Reasons to Stop Drinking Cow’s Milk

Really?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m guessing PETA aren’t a fan of whey production either…

Whey protein comes from Cows, who’d have thought?

DezB
    Free Member

I saw a test on BBC where it showed protein shakes are a waste of money for most people.
    Here’s some nice facts
    [video]https://youtu.be/kCfPMkPagnk[/video]

In short, people already eat more protein than they need.

patriotpro
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    I’m guessing PETA aren’t a fan of whey production either…

Whey protein comes from Cows, who’d have thought?

I would have thought everyone knew whey was from milk, no? Well everyone using it anyway…

It’s funny, though, milk (cow’s) is pushed in schools and highly subsidised to the public as if it’s some kind of magic tonic which is not what PETA’s article would have you believe. They can’t both be right!

plyphon
    Free Member

I saw a test on BBC where it showed protein shakes are a waste of money for most people.
    Here’s some nice facts

I kind of take issues with these type of videos – they’re aimed at the incredibly casual athlete – they even make jokes about “going to the gym one a fortnight” – and they don’t include any numbers.

I’m not saying it’s wrong, if you’re going to the gym once a fortnight (which is functionally useless, wasted effort) then you don’t need protein.

But if you’re going to the gym 3/4 days a week (like most people at the gym who are dedicated) then you can absolutely benefit from protein shakes. Especially if you’re building muscle, it can be next to impossible to eat that amount of protein required in meals unless you’re a culinary genius or able to consume 4/5 full meals a day.

There is a huuuuge middleground between the “elite athlete” that video speaks of, and the normal dude who is putting on muscle. I get the fitness industry has profits to protect, but I personally am not sure about that video.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

patriotpro – do you think PETA are choosing evidence to support their cause?

plyphon – you seem to contradict yourself.

The average guy I see drinking his shakes after his 3-5 sessions a week is carrying a fair amount of bodyfat, they would do well to stop drinking shakes.

retro83
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    Here’s some nice facts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCfPMkPagnk

That video is a load of crap. 😆

teasel
    Free Member

it can be next to impossible to eat that amount of protein required in meals unless you’re a culinary genius or able to consume 4/5 full meals a day.

I’m not a culinary genius by any stretch but I get enough protein (150g) without really trying by eating the right food stuff. Up until recently I used protein shakes after I worked out and quite religiously, but although they’re probably the cheapest source of protein as well as whey in particular apparently having certain benefits, things like Greek yogurt, meat, eggs and nuts are the easiest and healthiest way to hit your protein (and fat) requirements.

Have a wander over to Bodybuilding.com – there’s a sticky by Emma Leigh. Some of the diet stuff is interesting to say the least. You don’t have to be a bodybuilder to benefit from some of her advice and knowledge – most has scientific back up links, too.

DezB
    Free Member

That video is a load of crap

Ah, ok. Well despite your scientific analysis, I still won’t be wasting any money on protein shakes.

patriotpro
    Free Member

patriotpro – do you think PETA are choosing evidence to support their cause?

Undoubtedely; Are you knocking them for it?

Have a wander over to Bodybuilding.com

Good website imo.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Protein Shakes’ is closed to new replies.