Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Protein powder vs real food
  • bitasuite
    Free Member

I’ve always been one for getting some real food in me after a hard ride, but as I’m now doing a session on the turbo quite late, would I be better having a drink made up with protein powder? I know that it’s not great to be eating that late at night and going to bed on a full stomach.

Can anyone recommend some decent protein products? I’m really not sure what I should be looking for.

Thanks

BoardinBob

MyProtein or Spartan Protein

(Attention those about to argue: Yes, real food is better, but it’s not always convenient)

aracer
    Free Member

When racing late in the evening/night I found a protein shake seemed to help significantly with my recovery for the next day. Though that was going hard enough to make eating much difficult.

acidtest
    Free Member

My favourite is total protein from myprotein as contains a few different types that get metabolised at different rates.

If you sign up to their newsletter they’ll let you know when there’s an other on which is quite often and can save 30% or so. I never buy it at full price.

Also bulkpowders are pretty good and I get my egg whites from there which I use instead of milk in the shakes.

30% off at the moment… http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/total-protein/10529951.html Chocolate and Strawberry are my favourite but vanilla is good but gets a bit sickly after a while.

zilog6128

+1 MyProtein.

I make a shake in my Nutri Ninja with veg/fruit etc as well so I’m not just glugging down protein!

jonba
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t bother with a protien shake if you are eating a healthy diet otherwise. Glass of milk might be just as good and a lot cheaper.

If I train late at night I tend to just have a snack or some light food. Skyr, Cottage cheese. For me the biggest benefits come from making sure I stay hydrated on the turbo and afterwards. Also a proper warm down, and a bit of massage with a stick/roller stops me lying in bed with restless legs.

Massage has always done far more for me in terms of recovery than any other option.

bitasuite
    Free Member

Yeah I used to have a glass of milk but I don’t drink it any more. I’ll check out MyProtein, thanks.

fifeandy
    Free Member

+1 for MyProtein, although be warned, they will spam your email with offers twice every single day – unless trying to lose weight, you will also be wanting carbs too.

JAG

I wouldn’t bother with a protein shake if you are eating a healthy diet otherwise

OP; are you trying to simply recover or build extra muscle?

If simply recovering then a good diet MAY be sufficient.

If you’re looking to build extra muscle it’s tricky to consume enough Protein no matter how good your diet is.

bensales
    Free Member

Firstly check how many calories you’re actually burning in the turbo sessions. Two out of my three a week only come in at 600 calories, so need nothing more than normal mealtime eating to replace. I already get a decent amount of protein per day from my diet.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

You should be worrying about carbohydrate replenishment after cycling/turbo, not protein. You’re not lifting weights, yes you need some protein too but some sort of bar containing a bit of both, or peanut butter with rice cakes or something will be more beneficial. The damage/fatigue you’re putting on your muscles isn’t the type do be purely repaired with a protein shake, it’s more glycogen depletion rather than torn muscle fibres.

spacemonkey

The Protein Works are excellent too. I buy from them and MP depending on what I’m looking for. IMO TPW provide greater variety when looking beyond just the powders.

bitasuite
    Free Member

OP; are you trying to simply recover or build extra muscle?

Just for recovery. I generally do an hour on TrainerRoad which often includes VO2 max efforts or work near threshold.

I am trying to watch my weight, but understand carbs might be a good idea. Any suggestions for something light to eat that will help?

Oh and I generally have a very good varied diet with lots of fresh fruit and veg.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Ye rice cakes with peanut butter. Or a banana with peanut butter depending on what session you’ve had?

Carbs are good not bad, you’ll never get your sessions done if you’re worrying about carbs, I know however you’ve not said you don’t eat them BEFORE a session however so that’s fair enough.

I’m a fan of trek bars, peanut power flavour, 10g protein, 200 cals, 25g carbs. No added sugar, dairy and gluten free. Solid choice.

stevede
    Free Member

My recovery shake (crossfit rather than cycling at the minute) is skimmed milk, a scoop of choc whey protein, a spoon of peanut butter and sometimes a banana – all blended up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Protein powder vs real food’ is closed to new replies.