Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Protein powder that's not full of crap
  • webwonkmtber
    Free Member

I need to find a protein powder that i can take on mornings I’m super tight for time (doing exercise and heading straight to work).

I don’t eat wheat so waiting for cereal at the office isn’t an option.

Problem is, most protein powders appear to be full of crap – sugar or artificial sweeteners and unproven bodybuilding supplements.

Are there any relatively pure ones that taste okay? Will be mixed with coconut milk 🙂

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member
    tony24
    Free Member

If you go into boots i believe sanotogen sell plain protein powder no suppliments etc you can add it to anything your tea cereal etc.

For morning you could get blender/ smootie maker throw cocunut milk banana and couple scoops of the powder and it would give you a good high energy slow digesting breakfast with a good lump of protein.

Only takes 2 mins to mix up

TooTall
    Free Member

Use either bulkpowders.co.uk or myprotein. You get it how you want it there then buy flavouring etc if you want it or just mix with water. FAR cheaper than anything else anywhere.

wrecker
    Free Member

Unflavoured Impact whey on myprotein.

tony24
    Free Member

tootall there is cheaper stuff from suppliment centre made by matrix nutrition but that contains other stuff like amino acids etc at the end of the day it wont kill you having the extra stuff in the protein powder. if you stick to most of the diet 1’s etc you will find they are typically low or no sugar anyway.

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Good shouts everyone – will investigate further. Myprotein flavoured ones are full of artificial sweetners, but i hadn’t thought of unflavoured – d’oh!

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

I’ve tried loads of different protien powders over the years and always come back to boditronics express whey. No artificial colours or flavourings, lots of flavours to choose from and it tastes lush. Have a look here:
    http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/2-tubs-x-boditronics-express-whey-2-2kg-each-4-4kg-total
    Free delivery as well

cp

Myprotein.co.UK do pure whey protein.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I use scotch eggs

TooTall
    Free Member

tootall there is cheaper stuff from suppliment centre made by matrix nutrition

There is

but that contains other stuff

It does. Matrix stuff works out at about 51% protein. Bulkpowders unflavoured 82% whey mix is, funnily enough, 82% protein. So, you get a good bit more protein for your money. OP seems to want crap-free protein hence my recommendation.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’m sure Torq will have something that does the trick.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Look for an isolate powder.

I’ve gone off them and rather eat chicken/tuna.

FuzzyWuzzy

Out of interest what are most people using it for? Body building? Muscle repair after high intensity rides? Meal replacement? Not trolling, just curious as lots of people seem to be buying the stuff…

Jolsa

Out of interest what are most people using it for? Body building? Muscle repair after high intensity rides? Meal replacement? Not trolling, just curious as lots of people seem to be buying the stuff…

+1

Got me thinking that the only thing I have is chocolate milk after intense exercise…

frepster
    Free Member

Surely Hemp protein is what you need, I get mine off a seller on Ebay. Mix it into a smoothie with almonds, flaxseed and raw cacoa nibs, best recovery mix ever.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m also not trolling.. just genuinely interested

isn’t there only a certain amount of protein that your body can process per day..?

maybe 0.8 grams per kilo (according to the Livestrong website)

So when I saw some lad on Facebook the other day saying how he was bulking up in the gym and taking on 48g every two hours with new XXXXXXLMEGAMASPRO shakes, surely he’s just pissing money down the drain..?

isn’t a tin of tuna a better a option..?

fuzzhead
    Free Member

impact whey isolate from myprotein

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yeah there’s a limit to how much you can take in, there’s a limit to how much muscle you can build in a year (surprisingly little) and you’ll just be processing it and binning it if you drink too much. But for me it forms a nice sugar-free, high volume meal replacement with significantly fewer calories than a normal meal that would fill me up. Plus I can’t eat breakfast to save my life, but I can eat a milkshake.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1
    Got me thinking that the only thing I have is chocolate milk after intense exercise…

I got some ‘milk protein’ which is slower to digest than whey, the chocolate flavour stuff tastes like a grown up version of nesquik (i.e. a lot less sweetner).

Not sure what benifit it has in terms of muscle building but taking a shaker of dry powder and a pint of milk stored somwwhere cool in the car to drink on the way home seems to curb my appetite long enough to cook dinner, otherwise I’ll end up eating packets of biscuits etc before I have chance to eat something proerly.

Tried it in the morning, and it doesnt have the energy boost I need first thing, I’m far more awake/less hungry after 3 weetabix and a teaspoon of sugar.

wrecker
    Free Member

I though rule of thumb was 1 gram per lb of bodyweight per day.
    I get quite a lot of protein through my diet but top up with whey. Dunno if it works but I’ll try it anyway. If you’re right about 0.8g/kg then I’m probably wasting my money.

IanMunro
    Free Member

maybe 0.8 grams per kilo

I saw that and thought blimey! that’s a bit stingy, I must blow through that easily. Then I did the sums –
    0.8 * 76Kg = 60.8 grams. Not much I thought. Then I looked up the protein in a typical egg – 6 grammes. Ah. 10 eggs a day, not much too worry about at the moment then 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I thought it was about 1g/kg for a ‘normal’ diet and 2g+/kg for bodybuilders.

Then again I’ve known people who’ve eaten what most people would view as rubbish foods and not done much in the gym but still been lean and muscular so luck/genetics probably has a part to play. I know I struggle with loosing weight, but can put it on quickly as fat, then however much excercise I do it just seems to convert between fat and muscle, actualy loseing the weight is really hard work!

FieldMarshall

I have used these in the past;

http://www.gfcfshakes.com/

Not cheap, but very good quality. Plus wheat and casein free if you have any food intolerances.

Plus rather than being a “by-product”/isolate of other processes e.g cheese making, they are specifically derived from the source product.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I love the post workout gym talk that you get surrounding shakes and supplements…

Chubby guys 1 year ago

yeah I need this shake because…
    “I don’t eat breakfast…”
    “I’m training hard…”
    “trying to get lean…”
    “doing another workout later…”
    etc
    etc

Chubby guys are still chubby.

Chances are if you’re not happy with how lean you are, you don’t need a supplement as you’re already getting too much ‘everything’ in your diet.

Unless I’m doing excpetionally high volumes in a single day and know I’m going to be short on calories for the day I don’t touch the stuff… what’s the point when food tastes so good?

McHamish
    Free Member

I’ve used ‘Cyclone’ in the past, but it’s full of the ‘unproven’ crap you’re referring to. Plus it’s expensive.

When I was a student I used soya protein, it’s cheap and only contains protein. The only downside it is tastes like dust, so you need to add stuff (i used a banana and some banana nesquik – possibly not very healthy).

I don’t use anything at the moment as I’m not training enough, and taking protein, particularly Cyclone, when you’re not training enough isn’t advisable.

kudos100
    Free Member

Most branded protein supplements are full of crap. Buy plain protein powder and add fruit etc to flavour it.

I use myprotein, but bulkpowders are good also.

If you want to make a meal replacement, add protein powder, oats, fruit and healthy fats (peanut butter or EVOO). Wack it all in the blender and chug it down.

woffle
    Free Member

i use MyProtein Impact Whey Isolate mixed with oat milk and a spoonful of chia seeds – take it an hour or so before the gym; usually an early start so want to get some fuel inside me before hand. I’ve tried eating other breakfasts but they inevitably seemed to end up repeating themselves on me mid-workout / bootcamp. WIll then have a breakfast proper afterwards – granola / porridge / scrambled eggs etc.

Good enough mix of protein and carbs for energy without being full of the crud that a lot of protein powders seem to be full of…

algarvebairn
    Free Member

I’ve tried many different powders and they all give me @rse problems. Dunno if its the sh!te that’s added to them or if its the protein I have trouble processing. I’ve gone back to getting my required protein from food instead: all that chicken, fish and cheese can’t be bad.

heckler73
    Free Member

home made smoothie and reflex bcaas………. cant go wrong

woffle
    Free Member

You could always also try liquid egg-whites; I think MP were doing a deal on their organic version recently…

Jolsa

woffle

mixed with oat milk and a spoonful of chia seeds

Chia seeds! That was something I wanted to try out having read about them in ‘Born to Run’
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17476690

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Protein powder that's not full of crap’ is closed to new replies.