Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Protein bars?
  • ashfanman
    Free Member

I’m looking for some protein bars – ideally with at least 20g of (whey, not soy) protein per bar and not too expensive. (I’ve heard Honey Stingers are very good, but at £27 for 12, a bit too spendy.)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

LeeW

Myprotein.com or bulkpowders.com have some which are pretty good value.

Nobby

Not sure what the actual content levels are but I like the ones from Sponser.

somouk
    Free Member

Don’t forget to pay attention to the carb levels in these and also the sugar alcohols. The alcohols could mess with your digestion and most are designed with a 2:1 carb to protein ration so not as good as a shake.

hmanchester
    Free Member

If you really want to buy them then look at the Myprotein ones.

Very simple to make thought and many recipes don’t even need baking. They are a fraction of the cost and are normally more effective (a lot of bars include a lot of non usable protein that looks good on the label but is pointless) and made to measure.

Some of combination of whey protein powder, oats, nut butters and oils, fruit and fruit juice. Google is your friend and you’ll find some good recipes on some on the Web.

ashfanman
    Free Member

Don’t forget to pay attention to the carb levels in these and also the sugar alcohols. The alcohols could mess with your digestion and most are designed with a 2:1 carb to protein ration so not as good as a shake.

That’s a good tip. A shake would ordinarily be fine, but I’m looking for something that I can take on a trans-Alp next month, so it needs to be portable, consumable on the fly, and something that won’t spoil if it’s left out of the fridge for a week. Hence I thought bars would be my best bet.

So what ratio should I be looking for ideally? 1:1:1 (protein:carbs:fat)?

Very simple to make though and many recipes don’t even need baking.

Yeah, this would be my first choice, but a lot of the ones I’ve seen need to be kept refrigerated (or even frozen) and wouldn’t last well being out in the sun (well, fingers crossed!) for six days.

Any recipes that you’d particularly recommend?

TooTall
    Free Member

Or have a look on EBay for them. Good deals on some with a short sell buy date usually. If you aren’t freaked out by sell by dates that is.

coopersport1
    Free Member

Not sure of the contents but have used CNP Flapjack protein bars and rate them

patriotpro
    Free Member

Asda do some with 20gs which i paid a quid for they were really filling and tasty (bit like a thicker consistency milky way).

Got shits after but that could have been owt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Protein bars?’ is closed to new replies.