Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Protein bar or snack recommendations please
  • Woody
    Free Member

Ideally without nuts and low fat/carb/sugar content and which are reasonably edible or even tasty.

Thanks

IanMunro
    Free Member

Chicken Legs 🙂

jonb
    Free Member

http://www.9-bar.co.uk

made by wholebake, about £1.50 for three in Sainsburies/Morrisons.

I love the original flavour as they are a proper filling snack unlike most cereal bars. Recommended to me by my GF's mum who does a nutrition work for hospitals for people with unusual dietry requirements. Free from most allergens, may contain traces of nuts (I'm sat reading the label on the one I'm eating).

Woody
    Free Member

They look tasty jonb but quite high in carbs, sugar and fat (good and bad).

Chicken legs are spot on but no use for carrying in my pocket!

Any more before I try the murky depths of bodybuilding forums ?

woody2000
    ourmaninthenorth

Must it be chewy? Protein drink/shake?

FuzzyWuzzy

I have Maximuscle Promax Meal bars (chocolate & orange flavour), reasonably palatable. Not done any research though to see if any bars are better. Get them off an eBay place but they're still not exactly cheap.
    Not sure what the point of the diet version of the bar is either, it's 1g less protein and 1kcal less so never bothered with it.

They work for me in taking afternoon cravings away (especially if I've worked through lunch), although I probably only have one every couple of weeks now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

housemate has some meal replacement shakes, essentialy is some carbs, about 42g of protein and lots of fibre, add it to a pint of water/milk in a shaker and your full for hours!

The high protein content makes all the bars a bit rough.

Woody
    Free Member

The shakes are a possibility as long as the carbs are low. Problem with most bars is that they tend to have nuts/seeds, some bad fats and sugar to make them more palatable.

I'm trying to lose some weight and the theory behind the programme is plenty protein and veg, low carbs/fats, and the tricky bit, especially when I'm at work, is to eat at least every 2-3 hours. It all seems very logical and in a nutshell revolves around making the body use fat as an the energy source rather than storing it, and also naturally speeds up the metabolism. Bizarrely, you are not allowed to do any strenuous exercise in the 1st 4 weeks as this will have a detrimental effect on the muscle/fat storage/metabolisation equation, which unfortunately means my assault on the UK race scene will have to wait 😆

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Shakes head at the futility of it all. You need to do less of some stuff and more of the other.

Cougar

About the only thing I can think of that satisfy all of your criteria would be bananas.

Wouldn't you -want- carbs / salts / sugar if you're exercising though?

mauja
    Free Member

How about something like the Powerbar Protein Plus Drink, it's low carb and low fat protein supplement. It taste nice mixed with milk but can also be mixed with water if you're worried about any extra fat/carbs from the milk.

Powerbar Protein Plus Drink

There's a Lion Crisp version which is pretty tasty.

jonb
    Free Member

what about jerky? It's like a dry chicken leg?

Woody
    Free Member

Thanks for all the input – jerky and Powerbars/drink are a good idea but bananas and fruit generally are limited initially due to sugar content.

Obi_Twa – you are right re eat less calories than you use = weight loss..

….however…….the theory behind the plan questions modern eating habits, particularly the amount of carbohydrates consumed and the reasons behind it. There is way to much to go into here but there is some very interesting stuff on food producers/production and politically motivated health recommendations both in UK and from the Surgeon General. The huge rise in obesity and diabetes can be (partly at least) attributed to this relatively recent increase in the carb content of our diets. The physiology behind the plan seems very sound and long term health, for me at least, warrant giving it a try.

ratherbeintobago

On a related note, can anyone recommend a recovery shake? I don't drink them every time I go out, but my legs do feel less sore, so I have one if I'm anticipating riding two days on the bounce or if I've been out pre-night shift.

Currently drinking my way though some SIS Rego banana, which a) tastes like wallpaper paste, and b) contains the evil creatine, which I'd rather avoid.

Andy

FuzzyWuzzy

I just drink For Goodness Shakes ready mixed ones, not quite as good as something like Rego but they're a lot more convenient and taste pretty good..

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Kelloggs Elevenses Oat Bake bars. Used to be called Nutrigrain. About the same nutritional content as Go Bars, slightly higher fat, but about 1/4 the price

Edit – here

pedalhead
    Free Member

I think chocolate milkshake is considered pretty much as good as anything as a recovery drink. Personally, I consider it a sign that God does exist.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Protein bar or snack recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.