Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Protection on a bike rack
  • bumbly1
    Free Member

I am just about to drive to Spain (from Scotland) with my bikes on an external bike rack behind my VW camper. There isn’t room to carry them inside and I am concerned to try and protect them from corrosion by salt, road grime etc. I am planning to use them whilst on the journey too. I tried a Fiamma cover but a) it does not cover the bikes properly and b) they do protrude into the airstream so there is a strong possibility it will just catch the wind and shred! Either a close fitting individual cover (which I cannot find) or protective sprays seem to be my main options unless anyone can perhaps suggest some other way?

Tom

nickjb
    Free Member

Could you just use a tarp and some straps to cinch it in, or add a couple of straps around the Fiamma? Also don’t forget you need a red and white board on the back (last page here): http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/spain.pdf

bumbly1
    Free Member

Cheers Nick, yes I have the board thanks, I will investigate the tarp option.

Tom

superstu
    Free Member

No offence meant but is corrosion on that journey really going to be that bad? If you’re riding regularly then presumably the bike will be cleaned (to some extent) after rides anyway so there won’t be much build up?

I wouldn’t bother but maybe that’s just me.

Not meaning to be unhelpful just curious as not seen anyone worry about this before.

bumbly1
    Free Member

Stu, we will be travelling around for a month and it is a new bike and I am anxious not to spray it with corrosive salts straight off! I will have limited access to bike washing facitlities whilst travelling. Thanks to Nick, I have found a small heavy duty tarp that should help keep the worst off and I plan to use ACF 40 spray on the tender bits to try and keep it reasonably presentable.

Tom

tjagain

I put pipe lagging around the stanchions on the forks to protect them on the odd occasion I put my bike on an external rack. Its really the only bit that needs protection IMO

hooli

One of those portable pressure washers may be an idea so you can hose anything off before it sits too long. That was always my strategy when riding the motorbike at this time of year.

BTW, having done 300 odd motorway miles this weekend, my car is now very white so I think you are right to try and keep on top of it.

NZCol

Most of it comes from underneath the rack and the general air circulation beind the van so unless you get a complete covering on both sides of the bikes and underneath I wouldn’t bother. You might want a cover for when its parked to avert prying eyes but honestly I would just wash them after trips to get the salt off. Or put them in the van !

scotroutes

Clingfilm

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Can you really not make room in the van??? It would seem to solve a lot of problems of theft, corrosion, faff on attaching a tarp etc even if you have to remove the wheels and take the handlebars off etc?

Alternatively, wrap them in one of these..
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-cycling-uk-plastic-bike-bag/

But it will be a pain to do regularly.

bumbly1
    Free Member

Thanks guys, some helpful stuff there. Horatio it is a wee VW California which we are also living in for the month so very little spare space. I do have a role of cling film so I will take that with me and it should keep the worst off, I have also ordered a small tarp anyway so I am now sorted thanks.

Tom

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Protection on a bike rack’ is closed to new replies.