Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Protecting your car from shitty bikes.
  • EccentricEllis

I've just got a new (to me) car and i want to keep it spanking.

What've you guys used and what's best, Roof rack will be something i'll be getting in the future.

druidh
    Free Member

Je nes comprend pas.

The bike goes in the back.

Gary_C

Look at:Hatchbag.

druidh
    Free Member

Oh – stick an old shower curtain down under the bikes if that floats your boat.

nbt

bike goes on a tarpaulin in the boot. Tarps are less than a tenner from B&Q or the like

simon_g

Dirtworker to get the crap off, then on a bit of tarp.

DT78
    Free Member

use the g'friend's car 🙂

EccentricEllis

That's a good idea. A bit of a clean (I suppose i could use a Kreosote spray thingy) and a tarp, Magic.

Thanks guys.

Keep it real.
    Ellis.

Jamie
    Free Member

Give it a week or so and you will not care anymore about mud etc.

warton
    Free Member

towbar. if you put the bike in the back it will get dirty, no matter what you do. car mounted and roof racks scratch paint when getting on and off. the only real way to keep[ the inside and outside of a car spotless is a towbar mounted rack. Yeah they're expensive, but I figure you'll save the money that you spent when you come to sell it as the paint won't be scratched and the inside won't be minging.

uplink
    Free Member

I just put mine in a large plastic bag – easy

Drac

I use old bed sheets easy and when I use the roof bars I just make sure I'm not a clumsy oaf and then the roof don't get scratched.

Jamie
    Free Member

Incidentally i bought one of these, makes life a bit easier as they are usually the muddiest bits:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=33405

…fits 2 MTB wheels with 2.35 tyres.

Then just throw the frame/forks on an old duvet.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

4 x ikea bags (2 for each wheel)
    £5 Tarp from b&q – lay bike on it and then bundle up into car – done!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I am in a fortunate position – my father-in-law was the MD of a 'non-woven geotextile' manufacturers (just retired). Basically they make various grades of this 'rug' for lining waste sites, under train lines etc.

It also makes great lining for under laminate flooring, as a weed membrane and, of course, for lining the boot of my car. It is almost puncture proof so there is very little chance of marking plastics either.

Most of the team I ride with have it in their boots too 🙂

I have toyed in the past with commercially making it as a liner for boots but never got around to it.

will
    Free Member

I have an old double bedsheet, and fold the bike in that.

However I was fed up of the time, effort and the fact that the car stil got muddy!

So I got a roof rack, and to be honest I've never looked back, so quick and easy!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I just got a shitty car so it doesn't matter.
    😀

iDave
    Free Member

amazed the OP couldn't work out a simple solution for themselves 😯

Jamie
    Free Member

iDave:

amazed the OP couldn't work out a simple solution for themselves

Now that is constructive.

Drac

I'm not sure how your shocked iDave, there's been less challenging things than this asked.

epicyclo

I looked at all the options and bought an old bomb specially for the bike. (Renault Espace – ditched the spare seats) Trouble is I now prefer it to my other cars.

Stops that high pitched whine from the back seat. 🙂

P20

I've got a Safebag for the back of my octavia. Not the cheapest option, but its been brilliant. Take the bag out and all the crap comes out too. It also has the advantage of not showing that you have £XXXX worth of kit in your car.

Flaperon

I just cut a big piece of thick blue plastic sheet to the right size. Bike goes on that, and if not needed it folds up into a handy square for later use.

Cougar

I picked up a "one size fits all" boot liner from some discount outdoors shop for about three quid. Turns out that it's actually "one size fits sod all," or perhaps "one size fits all Nissan Micras," as it barely covers half of my boot. However, it does keep the boot nice and clean when I through badger-striped rucsacks and approach shoes in there.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Only ride with people on niche bikes that cost £4k each.

Avoid Halfords and Decathalon.

EccentricEllis

@iDave I'm 19, It's my first car and it's costing a bomb so, yeah, it's not the best of threads, however, legitimate in the fact that i need to keep it perfect as insurance is actually Raping me every month (£400!!!!) So can't really afford to have rips or a mingin' car.

Thanks for all your help guy's it's been informative.

Ellis.

aP
    Free Member

You can afford to pay £4800 a year in insurance for a car at 19?
    I assume that you're a cheeseroller.

samuri
    Free Member

Get an old shed to go cycling with. No matter what precuations you take, some crap will eventally get round your defences and your car will get messed up. More likely from you than the bike. It's all very well keeping the muddy bike away from the clean car but you'll be covered in cack too.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Hozelock 5-litre pressure sprayer and clean the bike before you put it in the car.

Car seat covers as well as boot liner. Also fit a 'bumber bib' to protect the rear bumper as you put the bike in.

If you put the bike on a roof rack and mud falling off the bike will mark the paintwork. Tow bar mount would negate this. Boot mounted rack will mark paintwork and dent metalwork.

steveh

http://www.mtb-direct.co.uk/cgi-bin/index.cgi?item=ITEM071229131813

Have a look at these, some useful additions to a basic tarp.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Protecting your car from shitty bikes.’ is closed to new replies.