Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Protecting cables from future drilling/nailing
  • maccyb
    Free Member

DIY/building/electrical content below…

As part of my ongoing renovation project I want to put up a new false wall in front of an existing one. Our place is in a block of flats and some of the services (mains gas supply and mains electricity – the three-phase 400V cables) pass up from one floor to the next through the hall of each flat. They’re not chased into the wall or otherwise protected, though the cables are chunky, presumably armoured to some degree.
    Originally there were ugly built-in blockwork cupboards around them, with the meters at the bottom and the pipe and cables running up the back, fully exposed – clipped to the wall in the case of the cables while the gas pipe just runs vertically an inch or two from the wall in the corner. With the useless upper parts of the cupboard removed I want to box the back wall in entirely to conceal the cables and the rough blockwork of the original.
    Unfortunately while I would know not to drill or nail there, the cables would run right up the middle of a tempting area of flat new wall, just right for a future resident to want to hang a nice picture of some kittens and try to whack a screw or nail right through it. The electricity meter and newly replaced (professionally!) RCD unit for this flat are just below, in the cut-down remains of the cupboards, and the cables that supply the flats upstairs visibly run directly up from there, but I’m not sure I can certain I can’t rely on people to check before hammering away.
    What’s the best thing/statutory requirement to do to avoid crispy-fried future owner? Some kind of protective plate? Making the false wall deeper so that drills/nails can’t possibly reach?

andyl
    Free Member

Metal conduit? Would probably need to be earthed by someone qualified. If they are armoured it may not be needed – I am sure someone will be along shortly so free bump…

Or put a big sticker up the middle of the wall 😀

njee20
    Free Member

One of these, framed, on the tempting piece of wall?

It’s modern art innit.

scaredypants

njee, how would that help ? – I don’t think he has flying snakes in his flat

murf
    Free Member

Any pics? Could you fit them into steel galvanised trunking? A steel plate inside the partition wall?

njee20
    Free Member

njee, how would that help ? – I don’t think he has flying snakes in his flat

Silly me, posted in the wrong thread, sorry!

sam_underhill

I’d have thought that concealing cables means that it’ll need to follow building regs. Simples.

russ295
    Free Member

You don’t really have to do anything. As there is a meter and a c/u underneath it, the cables are in a permitted zone and don’t need any protecting.
    If you wanted to go OTT, get a sheet of flat steel (5mm) and set in front of the cables.

STATO
    Free Member

If you are boxing in gas pipe make sure it at least vents into the cupboard below. Think there are regs for putting gas pipe in enclosed spaces?

maccyb
    Free Member

Thanks for all replies – I had suspected with the meter below they’d be in a permitted zone… but that won’t be much comfort if someone did zap themselves.

As you can see there’s a junction further up that the electrician put in, and on my suggestion put a thick metal plate over it with almost exactly that danger sign on it. It’s not very welcoming though, and will be covered up…

Gas pipe (in the corner, gas meter out of sight behind the little stub wall remaining) will still be vented to the remaining cupboard below (which will have a new top and doors, obviously).

timba
    Free Member

Any connections must be accessible which might advise your decision depending upon what you want to cover

oldgit
    Free Member

cables have to be set distances from floor, corners etc IIRC That way we all know where things are.
    What is that above the consumer unit, and is that T&E coming out of it?

footflaps

the cables would run right up the middle of a tempting area of flat new wall, just right for a future resident to want to hang a nice picture of some kittens and try to whack a screw or nail right through

Tut tut, Part P fail straight away unless they’re inline from a plug/socket.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ftotDz]Cable Safe Zones[/url] by brf, on Flickr

maccyb
    Free Member

Hmm, the accessible connections thing is interesting, but from reading that PDF as long as the box is rated ‘maintenance-free’ it doesn’t have to be. I’ll check with the electrician. It’s a new junction box put in to clean up and reorganise the ring main and lighting wiring for the flat.

However – the key fact I have ascertained is that all the rules about cables being in zones only apply if they are at a depth of 50mm or less. The false wall is now being built such that the cables will be at least 75mm from the surface so well out of range of errant nails… which was one of my initial thoughts on how to make it safe!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Protecting cables from future drilling/nailing’ is closed to new replies.