Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Protecting bikes in a van? How to secure a garage ground anchor?
  • alexxx
    Free Member

So these seem pretty bomb proof:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302329712277?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

However I guess a theft could simply undo the bolts under the van and get access to the bikes that way.. If thats the case am I overthinking it and should just go for a smaller tie down point as if someone has the time to cut away bolts under the van then they are taking whatever they want anyway?

tomhoward

Run a lock/cable through existing loops/holes in the framework?

Swot we do

alexxx
    Free Member

it’s fully boarded / campervan style with a bed over the top of the garage so the ground is only the option

grum
    Free Member

Couldn’t you cover the bolts under the van with something that sets hard? Not sure what exactly. Obviously they could probably still chisel away at it but it’s more hassle for them.

alexxx
    Free Member

Yeah thats not a bad option – maybe tiger seal or similar… thinking about it if I use just normal steel bolts (not stainless) I could put a dab of weld on them and then seal them up so they dont corrode…

Think thats probably the answer!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yeah thats not a bad option – maybe tiger seal or similar… thinking about it if I use just normal steel bolts (not stainless) I could put a dab of weld on them and then seal them up so they dont corrode…

After a few months they won’t shift anyway!

TBH though.

Someone has found your van
    Broken the locks
    Found the bikes inside
    Realised the bikes are chained up
    Figured out that the chain is bolted through the floor

He’s either going to give up and just take the iPad and cash they were looking for, or has come tooled up to get that far. If you make it any more difficult they’ll just cut the frames and sell the wheels/forks.

5lab

or just muller the nuts by tightening them up properly, then trying to tighten them with an adjustable spanner/socket thats a bit too big for the nut – that’ll round them off enough to make loosening them off a pipe-dream.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Use molgrips to tighten the nuts.. Round them off in no time

IHN

if someone has the time to cut away bolts under the van then they are taking whatever they want anyway

This. My view is to do enough to satisfy the insurance company to pay out and nothing more. A determined thief will take what they want, regardless of what you do.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Or just ring up your insurers and check your bike is insured in your van. Mines basically chained in the van with a motorbike chain and lock. It’s not as easy as breaking in to a shed I guess so that’s the start. Plus they’ll be after tools I guess before the bonus of a bike.

matt_outandabout

IHN+1

I use an insurance company that apply ‘common sense’ – no daft standards of locks, alarms or buildings; they are quite happy with a wooden shed, or locked back door, or locked vehicle….or i am riding it. Then I am covered.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There would need to 2 folk to get them off, one to hold spanner at the top and one to run the nuts off anyway.

After that, what TINAS says, they’ll cut through if they really want the bikes.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Use Blind bolts and shear nuts, the spanner flats just shear off when you get them tight enough.

I have them on my Sheffield hoop in the garage.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Do remember if you go crazy they will just take the van.

footflaps

Use molgrips to tighten the nuts.. Round them off in no time

I know his car maintenance threads are legendary, but that is a bit harsh!

hammerite
    Free Member

I park the van up against a wall/tree/other immovable object. No side doors to worry about and we have a bulk head. Not perfect, but if someone is that desperate they’ll find a way of getting what you have regardless.

RustyMac

As per nwmlarge,

Use shear nuts on the underside if you never want to remove it again.

Shear Nuts

cbike
    Free Member

Seems academic. If they are in the van and have time to diddle about with bicycles, the engine of the van has probably already been stolen.

revs1972
    Free Member

Rounding off the nuts is not the answer. There are lots of sockets available to remove such items.

Do remember if you go crazy they will just take the van.

This, therefore make sure the van is hard to pinch.

Use deadlocks on the doors.

If you do bolt through then make sure you go through a chassis member. Otherwise they can just cut out the area of floor that the anchor is bolted to.

I reckon a gang will spend 5 mins tops trying .

timber

Be absolutely certain about what is under where you drill. Grazed the fuel pump with the drill whilst installing a van vault in to an L200 years ago.

alexxx
    Free Member

Thanks guys – I think I’ll go into the chassis and use a security nut like mentioned- I didnt know they existed!

The back door has a armaDlock on it and if they get into the sidedoor (via windows I’d guess) then it’ll be hidden by a ply wall to the garage anyway.

The van (citroen relay) has factory deadlocks when you press the key twice so hopefully thats enough to protect the frontdoors with the key plates fitted behind the handles too.

EDIT: whilst on security – are those OBD box protectors any good?

footflaps

I reckon a gang will spend 5 mins tops trying .

With an 18v angle grinder and a cutting disc, there is very little you can’t get through in 5 mins…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

With an 18v angle grinder and a cutting disc, there is very little you can’t get through in 5 mins…..

Assuming they’re organised and tooled up which is unlikely to start with as either they would have to be specifically targeting your camper van, which could be anywhere in the world today and somewhere else tomorrow. Or they’re staking out MTB hotspots and will just take the bike leaned up at the Cafe, or on the roof rack.

And if they are tooled up, they’d just cut the chain, not dick about with spanners!

freeagent
    Free Member

Id just use a socket head/torx bolt from the inside and a nyloc nut outside – that way you’d need 2 people and hex-keys + spanners to remove it.
    The security torx bolts with a pin inside the head are also good.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Protecting bikes in a van? How to secure a garage ground anchor?’ is closed to new replies.