Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Protecting anodised frames
  • sheck

Not sure helicopter tape will stick to my new frame to protect against cable rub etc. What do you use?

bikeneil
    Free Member

The soft side of self adhesive velcro. It’ll stick to anything. I cut it into circles.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Onzadog
    Free Member

I put o-rings on the cables when building the bike. Helicopter tape will stick but you need to wipe the frame with ipa and warm both frame and tape with a hair dryer.

jimw
    Free Member

I have successfully helitaped an anodised frame, stayed on for nearly two years now, although if I were to do it again I would use matt rather than gloss tape as it is pretty obvious where the tape is ( downtube, top of top tube, chainstays).
    I did thoroughly degrease beforehand with IPA as some anodised finishes have slightly waxy surfaces I believe

Northwind

It depends on the ano finish too- helitape stuck to my beadblasted-and-ano’d frame pretty well, but not well to my old Scandal, which seemed smoother. But, putting the tape on then wrapping it with masking tape to keep it on for a few days helped a lot- once the tape had its shape and a bit of stick it stayed on well.

oxym0r0n

I put o-rings on the cables when building the bike. Helicopter tape will stick but you need to wipe the frame with ipa and warm both frame and tape with a hair dryer.

Surely just wipe with a baby wipe? 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve explained this before oxy, baby wipes are for the chain when I can’t get to my proper cleaning kit.

oxym0r0n

:mrgreen: Hope you had a good birthday Onza!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes I did, cheers mate. Only thing that would have made it better would have been a run down the sunken road!

stoney
    Free Member

The Pace 305 i had a few years back was allmost unmarked when i sold it, 2 years after i bought it. No cable rub and it certainly had a few rocks bounce off the downtube, again not a mark….

joolsburger
    Free Member

Mines black so black duct tape, works well.

sheck

Thanks, have put black electrical tape on the most obvious spots for now

spooky_b329

Don’t reckon it needs it…I’m really good at making bikes look tatty but my old Yeti 575 in black anodising looks pretty good, the only wear is where I’d sat on the cross bar in muddy gritty shorts and managed to wear off the logo’s.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Protecting anodised frames’ is closed to new replies.