• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Aus.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Protecting a Lawn from Female Dog
  • Jase
    Free Member

I laid a new lawn last week as the old one was no longer a lawn!

I’m concerned that my female dog’s wee is going to ruin it – I’m sure I’ve noticed patches already but maybe slightly paranoid.

Other than:

a) get rid of dog (obviously not an option)
    b) lay artificial (at £50 sq m isn’t an option financially)

Is there anything else I can do to ensure it doesn’t go the same way as the previous lawn? Doesn’t help that it’s a small area so the problem is more concentrated.

Cheers.

P20

There is medication that you can give the dog. The in laws had it for the two spaniels

Milkie
    Free Member

Well… You’re not going to believe this, we bought some “stones” that you put in the dogs water bowl, from a Country Fair, they said you shouldn’t get dead patches on your lawn… 2 weeks later, we could see the difference on the lawn! Didn’t think it would work but it does!

A quick Google and you find:
    Dog Rocks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soobalias
    Free Member

highly recommend dog rocks.

you do need to ensure your dog predominantly drinks from the bowl, not puddles, rivers, cow troughs etc.

starts working very quickly, but if you already have brown patches it may take a while to notice they are not getting worse

the wee actually makes the grass more lush

Cougar

You could take your dog for a walk rather than letting it wee in your garden?

Jase
    Free Member

Dog Rocks look good, didn’t expect solution could be something so simple!

cougar – dogs have 3 walks per day, min 40 mins each time. Its more for when we first get up in the morning (they have their breaky before their walk) and last thing at night.

Cougar

Ah, fair enough. Sounds like a lot of work to me. Can you litter train dogs? (I’m a cat person so know not of these things)

scruff
    Free Member

‘Uric acid is usually converted by hepatic uricase to allantion, which is excreted in the urine of most dog breeds, except the dalmation. The dalmation has a defect in uric acid uptake into hepatocytes, resulting in decreased conversion to allantion. Therefore, this breed excretes uric acid, and not allantion, in the urine.’

I have a big Dally, the lawn is quite dead.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

Water the grass once she’s been to dilute it down.

Hadn’t heard of dog rocks, looks like a good idea!

Woody
    Free Member

Wow – wish I’d known about this years ago.

And definitely safe ?

Jase
    Free Member

Ordered some, be here Monday.

Thought about diluting it with watering can every time but not really practical at 6am or/and when its dark!

Andy

Tomato puree (small amout, of a variety with no added salt) in dogs dinner is another one that works

Milkie
    Free Member

Wow – wish I’d known about this years ago.

And definitely safe ?

Been using the Dog Rocks for about a year now, I think they last a couple of months, not too sure as its not my department. 😉

Jase
    Free Member

Yeah, looks like you tip the pack in the water and keep re-using. As above looks like they last 2 months.

Aus
    Free Member

We tried dog rocks for our 3 spaniels- no noticeable difference 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Protecting a Lawn from Female Dog’ is closed to new replies.