• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by GW.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • pros and cons of smaller frame
  • gandalf_ukwizard
    Free Member

hi guys, newb here, i am 5’10” and lookign at 17-18″ frames (M) i have seen a few bikes, notably a Giant XTC with a 15.5″ frame, what are the pros and cons of riding such a frame which is slightly smaller than i have been advised to look at

thanks guys

theotherjonv

a smaller frame will generally be stronger, more manoeuverable (shorter wheelbase but also easier to move under you), lighter, more standover height, erm…

Go too small and the relative position of seat to bars may be out (having to use too much seatpost to get the right leg extension), may leave you too upright and even cramped as opposed to stretched out in an efficient riding position, etc.

Unless you’re looking for a jump bike where the benefits of the smaller frame are really worthwhile, for general riding you should get the one that fits. For that you should work to the recommended sizing and then if you are ‘between sizes’ I think most would recommend sizing down as opposed to up. The differences between frames are relatively small and you can overcome residual issues such as reach (distance from seat to bars) by moving saddles on rails or with stem length for example – there’ll be enough flexibility to take up the slack there.

Now – looking at your OP my first impression is that at 5’10”, M or 17-18″ frames would be about right, but particularly as a newbie you really need to take proper shop advice and try some. And take someone experienced if you can; some unscrupulous shops have been known to steer you to a wrong size just to clear old stock out. But to me; 15.5 sounds too small, although there are some frames that do size up bigger than the numbers. I suspect buying a 15.5 because you can get a good deal is false economy if it doesn’t really fit you.

BTW – 5.11 here and ride a 18″ Inbred, 19″ Rock Lobster, 18.5″ FuelEx and also a 56cm Kona Jake – so you can see that one size doesn’t even fit just me!

sharki
    Free Member

If you’re a newbie i’d suggest getting a bike that FITS you, then if you feel that your riding is developed to the point where you want to start chucking the bike around then drop down a size.

Riding a small bike to soon may slow your skills development, unless oyu’re a natural.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    baldSpot
    Free Member

i agree with the posts above: pretty solid advice.
    fwiw, I’m 5’7 and ride a 15.5 Rockhopper which is perfect for me. I had to buy a longer seatpost (400mm) to get the fit right for long pedalling stints.

I don’t think 15.5 would be a good choice for you.

retro83
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and an 18 inch frame is already slightly too small …

I used to ride a 15 inch trials frame for a few years, great for flicking about but very uncomfortable for longer rides.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I started riding with a bike that was about a size to big for me, as that was all I had. It was rubbish trying to learn stuff on, but I did, and ragged it. Getting a new bike, that was a nice, chuckable size for me was a revelation. I do ride BMX too, so maybe that was partly a factor.

I will say though, that if you are facing two sizes, one slightly too big the other slightly too small, I would go for the slightly too small on every time.
    Good luck finding a nice bike, and enjoy it when you do!

Bumhands
    Free Member

As ever its personal preference.

The bigger the frame the less maneuverable it is on corners and in the air.
    A low top tube and stand over height allows to get much lower and in my opinion thats more fun.

I’m 5’11 and my do it all frame is just over 16″ with a top tube length of 22.5″ – I have never really run a saddle super high and your muscles get used to it, when climbing my saddle can go up just above stem height no probs.

I agree that a fitted frame has its benefits but at the expense of fun on the downhill (the bits I’m interested in) its worth it.

In my experience anything over 17″ isn’t really ‘chuckable’

theotherjonv

I’ve got a mate who’s 6’5″ and he chucks a 19″ frame around under him like no-one’s business.

GW
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 and ride a 14″ (22″ eff TT/40mm stem) hardtail and small DH bike.

advantages are they are far more fun, especially in the air and turn faster
    disagvantages include far less stable at high speed and can be downright sketchy when it’s fast and rough (rockgardens/flat-out rough turns)
    the hardtail gives just about enough leg extension with a 410mm post (but I ride flats anyway so would never run it at full XC/road extension). on the rare occasion I do have the seatpost up I have no problem climbing on such a short frame, it does take a slightly different technique but I prefer that to being stretched out anyway.
    most 18″ frames would feel massive for the way I ride.

nicko74

mm… I’m 6′ and ride a 17.5″ Soda and find it absolutely spot on. So it’s possible a 15.5″ frame could fit you, but really you need to try it out to be sure.

theotherjonv

Cotic, and to an extent On-one being one of the brands who are designed to be a size smaller than the norm (if you see what i mean) – ie: longer TT’s than ‘normal’ for that nominal frame size.

theotherjonv

from the Cotic website:

Geometry and Sizing Chart

The chart is a guide to frame size. Ultra Compact Geometry means that the frames are small and long. You can take this two ways. You can either have a regular position coupled with a small and chuckable frame, or you could go for the next size up and go long and racey without feeling like you’re riding a gate.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m 5.10 and ride a 16 Orange subzero (hard tail) and its about perfect with a short stem and layback post, that said I’ve also ridden an 18 five and that also felt about spot on, as did a 17.5 Merida One-Five-0.

your best bet would be go to a demo day and try out a few, its better to wait and try some than buy something and it be the wrong size!

johni
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and ride either 17.5″ Cove Stiffee/Cove Handjob or a 18″ Rocky Mountain Slayer. Smaller than 17.5 would feel like a BMX IMO

DustyLilac
    Free Member

Top tube length is the most important consideration IMO. My riding errs towards the ‘adventurous’ and gravitiy-assisted end of the spectrum so I tend to go for smaller frames (seat tube length). Both my Cannondales (a Gemini and Prophet) are mediums, 17″ seat tube, 23″ & 23.5″ top tubes respectively, and it’s the relatively long top tubes that make them rideable for me at 6’2″. I’m sure if my riding were more pedally I’d need to grow up and get larger frames. I went too far with a small Giant VT, horrible on the climbs, but almost BMX-like on ‘fun stuff’. Several crashes as a result of getting my shorts caught on the shifter sealed its fate in the end though.

My advice would be to go for the shortest seat tube you can, but with a top tube that gives you and your type of riding the room that you need to be comfortable.

timbercombe
    Free Member

Wow, i’m completely abnormal with my sizing. I’m 6ft bang on, have had a 15.5″ Stiffee ;), 15″ Orange Crush and now on a small (16″ I think) Giant Reign X. I like my bikes flicky and lightish though, having originally ridden BMXs then went on to a DJ bike, but if you’re just coming straight into MTB, general sizing is a good way to go. Test rides are always a must though 😀

nukeproof
    Free Member

I agree with Dusty Lilac. Effective TT is the first measurement I look at when comparing frames sizes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

im 6ft too all intents and urpouses, and ride with a 26.” reach (22.5″ top tube plus 90mm stem). I also have shorter legs and loger torso than most.

specialized bikes for exabple are quite long, easily a size up o most, so their medium felt like a giant large. Take the reign X.1, it felt very chuckable to me, but a large enduro felt horribly strtched out, and the medium was closer.

There is a limit to the small is chuckable school of thought, if a bikes too short you’ll never get comfortable at speed, BMX’s get away with it as they genraly go at lower speeds and ridiculous chuckability is a bonus.

GW
    Free Member

oh, yeah?

oh, and FWIW my BMX has a longer top tube than my DH bike 😮

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘pros and cons of smaller frame’ is closed to new replies.