• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Houns.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Pros and cons of different driveway materials?
  • jekkyl

We need a new driveway putting in as the previous owner had just put a cart of gravel on the dirt to make it look nice to sell. We only need to cover the part where the car goes, about 5m2, the gravel is okay on the rest of it. I’m after real world experiences of all types of materials. Are my preconceptions about these materials correct as a starter? .

Brick paving = P: looks good. C: Expensive & can sag over time as just laid on sand.
    Printed concrete = P: cheaper C: is slippy? and looks a bit shit.
    Tarmac = apparently due to cost of oil is almost the same price as paving but it does looks a bit shitter and can be prone to weeds and cracking?
    Resin bonded = ??
    any other methods I’ve not thought of?

wadda ya reckon? cost is major concern as I’m not that bothered and would probably want to spend no more than a couple of grand.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Do you like dags?

jekkyl

yeah and I’m awfully fond of the periwinkle blue by the way.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

“Brick paving = P: looks good. C: Expensive & can sag over time as just laid on sand.”

Only if done wrong.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Serious answer – For 5 m2 which is a tiny amount, block paving, done properly would be the way to go. If dug out and laid properly on a decent spec well compacted sub base it’ll never sag in your lifetime.

On a per m2 basis it might be expensive but it’s such a small amount that that won’t make a huge difference to the overall cost.

Edit – You must have a tiny car if you can fit it in 5m2. Assume you mean 5m x 5m (a five metre square) i.e. 25m2

exupmonkey
    Free Member

Got printed concrete and it’s been great. Top coat finish has very fine grit added to it so not slippy at all, and we have a sloping driveway. Wasnt particlarly cheap either. I suppose it would only look shit if you choose a shit pattern and colour. We love ours.

mrlugz
    Free Member

We had decorative gravel for a good few years before we got it block paved.

Dig it out, drop some dolomite in, cover with decorative.

We did spend a bit of time sweeipng to top back on, but it looked ok (IMO) and was very cheap.

Block paved now, been down for around 10 yrs, Had a LWB renault trafic on it until last year, now has a LWB converted Boxer on it. No sgging to report.

ads678

What Perchypanther says.

djflexure

I’m sat here listening to the digger taking ours up now.
    While I like the look of block paving, having to weed it puts me off.
    Tarmac does not look great IMO and costs more.
    Tempted to put some gravel down.

orangespyderman

You could run some sort of training course if you want it block paved and make a few quid while you’re at it. Easily the cheapest solution.

jekkyl

You could run some sort of training course if you want it block paved and make a few quid while you’re at it.

since I am asking for advice on a new driveway it is clear I am not qualified in that area, therefore you are being sarcastic, therefore your post is pointless and does not progress the discussion at all. I wouldn’t care if your post was funny however, but I’m not sure I follow your line of sarcasm, what are you on about ?

wwpaddler
    Free Member

just chuck a couple of tonnes of gravel down every few years. Makes its own sub base and after a few years you won’t need to put more down.

Depending on how fancy your gravel is – £20 – £50 per tonne.

orangespyderman
    perchypanther
    Free Member

Jekkyl, you were too busy having a baby to catch this it seems……

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/block-paving-course-are-they-having-my-trousers-down

drliamski
    Free Member

Natural stone?

jekkyl

Yes indeed Panther and due to changing shitty nappys at all hours of the night I am a bit angsty at the moment. Thanks and sorry spyderdude.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yes indeed Panther and due to changing shitty nappys at all hours of the night I am a bit angsty at the moment.

Not really interested in your own medical issues. Curious as to where you get the huge nappies from though.

How’s the baby doing 😉

orangespyderman

Hey, no problem, wasn’t particularly obvious if you’d missed that other post. Though I am a little disappointed that you’re not catching up with all the posts you missed. Or if you are that you’re not doing it quickly enough 😆

I’m new around here but I have to say I didn’t particularly get the impression that posts had to contribute anything in particular to a thread 😆

Good luck with all those nappies. Have two young lads myself who are both still in nappies (though the oldest never dirties them any more, but has a pee in his undies the minute you even think about not putting one on 😕 )

johndoh
    Free Member

just chuck a couple of tonnes of gravel down every few years.

I would rather weed a block paved drive than spend the rest of my days picking up cat shit from my gravelled drive.

Houns

As a postie I hate printed concrete drives, they are lethal (not come across one with the fine aggregate finish)

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Pros and cons of different driveway materials?’ is closed to new replies.