Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Proposed new forum rule
  • aracer
    Free Member

An automatic ban for posting TdF spoilers.

twohats
    Free Member

Don’t like em, don’t open the threads, simple…

AndyRT
    Free Member

Why did I read this thread?

maxray
    Free Member

😀 Christ, or maybe a ban for reading them? Equally absurd 🙂

Three_Fish
    Free Member

An automatic ban for posting about the TdF spoilers.

FTFY.

Junkyard
    Free Member

someone posted up a thread title that said Wiggins out or similar ahd it pulled then did the cavendish one [ winner]. you did not need to read /open the thread to have the spoiler. It would have helped if the OP had made this clear.

Kevevs
    Free Member

what about F1 spoilers, or footy spoilers or Cheryl-Cole-has-dyed-her-hair spoilers? I’d suggest not going on a cycling forum if you don’t want to hear the latest in cycling gossip.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Surely it’s all natural colour!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don’t mind if someone posts a thread with ‘spoilers’ in the title as you can choose not to read it. But when some knob posts up stuff that basically reveals the result of something or that in today’s case a rider is out of the Tour, then it does spoil it for those who wish to watch the highlights or a recording later.

Just a bit of common sense and consideration is all that’s needed.

Banning people solves nothing…………………………………………………………

aracer
    Free Member

Banning people solves nothing

Banning Houns when he posted a thread with a spoiler in the title would probably have done a good job of preventing him posting another one.

Kevevs
    Free Member

just stick your fingers in your ears and go “LAH LAH LAH LAHH” till you get home, put your feet up and have a brew and switch on the telly 🙂 I do this at work. Nowt to do with spoilers though 😀

Northwind

Spoilers for any major event in a title, or spoilery threads with no obvious warning, are incredibly bad play. Doesn’t cost anything to avoid it. Just pure thoughtlessness/arseholery.

It’s not like with a one day event when you can just avoid teh internetz, the Tour goes on forever.

Kevevs
    Free Member

good point Northwind.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Banning Houns when he posted a thread with a spoiler in the title would probably have done a good job of preventing him posting another one.

Hmm, maybe, but that he wasn’t banned and then went on to post another thread just made him look like more of a wally. See, he probbly thought he was being all clever and funny, but many people just thought he was a wally.

And it’s always fun to see someone made to look a wally. 🙂

He’s had his little bit of fun, his little ego-trip, a few people have got pissed off, it’s raised the issue of people being more considerate to others and maybe thinking before posting something (or else end up looking like a wally), so not too bad I spose.

TooTall
    Free Member

sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous/?saNG(k)t??m?n??s/

Adjective: Making a show of being morally superior to other people.

yossarian
    Free Member

There’s no point in banning people for spilling the beans inadvertently.

Doing it specifically to piss people off is just trolling under another name and the forum already has rules, inconsistently enforced, to address this.

Basically if I really really didn’t want to know the result of a stage of the tdf I’d stay off a biking forum.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What about the threads announcing someone’s death? I’d prefer to hear about it properly on the news later and get the full surprise. I remember 10+ “John Peel has died” threads FFS.

Elfinsafety – Member
    And it’s always fun to see someone made to look a wally

Indeed.

toys19
    Free Member

what aload of sanctimonious crap. How the hell are we supposed to know that some of you want to wait until its convenient to watch the highlights, do we have to check with every STWer that they have seen the highlights till we discuss a current or past event, what about those who have recorded it and wont watch till next week, shall we keep stumm till then?

This is a cycling forum and we want to talk about cycling, if you want to pretend that reality didnt happen to suit your own life/logisitics then don’t come on here.

donsimon
    Free Member

Cheryl-Cole-has-dyed-her-hair spoilers?

OMG! When? What colour? More info please!!!!

That’s a joke, right? One could equally say that starting a thread with the objective of rounding on another forum member deserves a ban.
    It’s up to you to not go looking for the news. How much does your life really suffer?
    GTFU!

cynic-al
    Free Member

toys19 – Member
    what aload of sanctimonious crap. How the hell are we supposed to know that some of you want to wait until its convenient to watch the highlights

Cos it’s common frikkin knowledge?

martymac

@ northwind.
    arseholery has just become my word of the weekend lol.

avdave2

It seems a bit harsh on Houns, I’m sure from what he did he can only be about 12 and non too bright with it. It would seem unfair to ban the hard of thinking for their inherent limitations. 🙂

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

He’s a bit older than 12 but ‘not too bright’ fits 😀

toys19
    Free Member

Cos it’s common frikkin knowledge?

Well I didnt know it was “forum policy” until today.

It’s up to you to not go looking for the news. How much does your life really suffer?
    GTFU!

I 2nd this. If you don’t want to know about it then dont come on here. Do they ban journo’s for reporting results as they happen? On the Guardian the headline was “Wiggins Crashes Out of Tour” shamelessly ignoring the wishes of the STW massive to wait until 7pm. What a bunch of lame assed ninnies you are.

jedi

avoid the forum i say. my dad avoids footie results so he can watch matches he has recorded. its so funny talking about fake results in ear shot 🙂
    i pop on here to see whats happening in the tour when i’m out and about 🙂

gears_suck
    Free Member

I’m going out on my bike. You load of whiny biaches can carry on crying about this by yourselves.
    Later.

Pook

I don’t come on this cycling forum when I’ve missed the f1. My choice, if I see the results before I watch highlights its my fault.

I do really think the world should revolve around me though. When I’m king of the world as opposed to just ‘self appointed keeper of the peak’ I’m going to get one of my lackies to moderate stw in light of my mood, schedule and preference for what I want to see that day.

You lot can just balls.

emac65
    Free Member

I want a total ban on anyone posting anything that I may not want to know about…….or even if I think I may want to know about but then realise I don’t want to know about it I want them banned too……..

If I don’t get my way I’m going to stamp my foot very hard till I do,or roll about on the floor screaming banging my fists on the floor,or hold my breath, or I may just get a life so I won’t be that bothered about such nonsense

neninja
    Free Member

Cycling website in cycling news spoiler shocker.

I always laugh when people get so worked up about these things. It’s the same with Motogp results on motorcycle forums.

Intelligence would suggest that you avoid websites dedicated to the sport in question if you want to avoid finding out a result.

nbt

I don’t come on this cycling forum when I’ve missed the f1.

and this is the point I made on the other thread where this is being discussed

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mark-cavendish-2/page/2#post-2745008

DickBarton

What was the spoiler about? I don’t follow the Tour so no idea what is happening…I only read this to see what else the collective mass of stwers are moaning about now – in case I could wind people up but as I don’t follow the tour I can’t…

toys19
    Free Member

Apart from its the exact opposite of the point you made.

it means more or less staying off the internet in case someone posts a result about an unrelated sport

which is my advice to you.

nbt

Actually, it’s *exactly* the point I was making. You suggested staying off a cycling forum to avoid cycling results, but as Pook has adroitly demonstrated, he feels he needs to stay off a cycling forum to avoid results for f1, a totally unrelated sport…

and thanks for the advice, I’ll just leave now

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

theres a difference between having a thread containing spoilers, and having the spoiler in the title, which I believe is northwind’s point.

Every day there has been a TdF Stage X thread which is great, people that are watching it live and/or know the result can join in discussions, those that dont avoid the thread. But having a title with the spoiler in means those trying to avoid the result have to avoid the whole of STW (as well as bbc and eveything else yesterday).

I have the “luxury” of watching it live every day as I am off sick nursing a broken arm, but avoiding putting a spoiler in the title just seems like a common courtesy and common sense. I’m sure STW Towers would rather not lose half their readership (and advert clicking revenue) for 3 weeks. And this is a site with an MTB not road bias.

terrahawk
    Free Member

What a whinging bunch of big mildreds.

scaredypants

I don’t care about the TdF or footy enough to need to avoid a result but deliberately posting spoilers is a game for tossers IMO

I don’t see why people feel a need to put the result in thread titles when they know it pisses others off. Just seems selfish, mannerless and/or stupid to me. It’s really not hard to avoid doing it

As for “don’t come on here, then”, I doubt STW HQ would be too happy if anyone interested in avoiding any cycling/motorsport/footy/(any more ?) results stayed off stw until they had watched it, and I’m pretty certain they’re fed up of all the bickering this causes too

Plus, my kids sometimes watch the sport on tv with me – will no-one think of them? 😥

Drac

It can come under the the negative use of the forum rule, we will deal with it as appropriate as we would with any issue we see or is raised.

Woody
    Free Member

The Bradley Wiggins story was posted on FB as it happened, so unless you can avoid all media, friends, colleagues and live in a cave, it’s pretty pointless trying.

Personally speaking, I was quite glad it was posted, as I was able to switch channels having become totally engrossed in the relatively exciting goings on in Monarch of the Glen on ITV3 8)

boblo
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    It can come under the the negative use of the forum rule, we will deal with it as appropriate as we would with any issue we see or is raised.

Would you do so then please because this is getting silly. It’s reasonable to ask people to be considerate. Staying away for a lot of us is an option that a number might take up permanently. I’m not sure that’s how a community normally thrives? People pissing other people off just for the hell of it (AKA trolling and against the ‘rules’).

I assume Hound’s Wiggins thread was pulled because it was clearly a spoiler, his follow up Cavendish spoiler was a childish and selfish reaction to his first thread being pulled. Normally, if you deliberately bate the Mods, you’re ripe for a banning.

Just do it and stop this cobblers. Please.

Drac

Would you do so then please beacause this is getting silly. It’s not too much to ask people to be considerate.

We have and do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Proposed new forum rule’ is closed to new replies.