Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • "Proper" linux on your phone – one for the real geeks
  • aracer
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

tablets could be fun, sounds like a good approach to breaking back into the PC market.

Nice to have another player in the market really, all the better for the consumer

samuri
    Free Member

That’s great. Where that obviously leads to is that you carry your computer around with you in your pocket. When you get somewhere you want to use it, you connect it to a big screen and do stuff with it. You need to move on, you disconnect and take the processing power and OS with you.

retro83
    Free Member

http://youtu.be/cpWHJDLsqTU

Some interesting ideas.

CountZero

A friend of mine, teaches science and technology somewhere around Milford Haven has a smartphone of some sort, that he’s hacked and is running full Linux on it. Because he likes Linux, and because he can. Smartass! 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJDLsqTU&feature=youtu.be[/video]
    Same vid as above just embedded.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have friends who would shoot you for calling ubuntu “proper” linux, if they don’t compile it entirely from scratch it’s not proper 😀

mikewsmith
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member
    I have friends who would shoot you for calling ubuntu “proper” linux, if they don’t compile it entirely from scratch it’s not proper

and that is the issue it’s got to overcome – Geek snobbery

coffeeking
    Free Member

Why does geek snobbery pose a problem for it? They are not it’s target market, normal users are.

Either way, you overestimate how much they actually care and generally how much they take the opinion seriously 😉

grantway
    Free Member

So basically Apple have the best operating system

teethgrinder

Nokia N900 FTW!

Bimbler
    Free Member

Definitely interested in this, though I was kind of waiting for the Firefox phone.

andytherocketeer

possibly one reason why Ubuntu website hardly even uses the word “Linux” any where, and from what I hear, the word Linux was used only about once in the entire press release yesterday.
    It’s called Ubuntu OS now.

No different to Android OS I guess, which probably uses the word Linux 0 times. And Apple don’t exactly advertise the underlying roots of OSX/iOS either.

IA

Nokia N900 FTW!

Or the N9, both “proper” linuxes.

Mind, so’s Android, if I’m being pedantic.

I guess folk really mean GNU/Linux? Or “desktop-like” linux.

labsey
    Free Member

Nokia N900 FTW!

This. Used to have one. Great little device.

retro83
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

More likely to be ruined by Freetard infighting, NIH syndrome, lack of QC, lack of quality apps, unrealistic expectations of users ‘oh you can’t do that in the UI, just drop into a terminal and bring up vi…’, arguments about toolkits/libraries, and show-stopping bugs marked ‘wontfix’. 😆

aracer
    Free Member

I have friends who would shoot you for calling ubuntu “proper” linux, if they don’t compile it entirely from scratch it’s not proper

meh. Only an idiot compiles entirely from scratch when you’d end up with something inferior to one of the standard distros with a large community working on it. Unless of course you’re just repeating the work somebody else has already done compiling an existing distro – which if anything is even more idiotic.

Meanwhile back in the real world, most people are happily using standard linux distros of one flavour or another and not worrying too much about what’s going on underneath.

Bimbler
    Free Member

What no buttons

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO7QbCqFY7Y&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘"Proper" linux on your phone – one for the real geeks’ is closed to new replies.