• This topic has 30 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by colp.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Proper garage envy!
  • Lionheart
    Free Member

http://www.12-gaugegarage.com/index.html

Sorry if it’s been done before but I’ve not seen it till now.

Lionheart
    Free Member

shifter
    Free Member

Yeah, a few times. No need to be sorry though!
    Great to see it again.

somafunk

Seen it before on here but it’s one website/garage i don’t mind looking through again n’ again

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

It’s called the American Dream sonny! If you work hard enough and shake off that Debbie Downer negativity thing, one day you can join us winners in winner land 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh man I love that car.

kimbers

That’s not a garage?, where’s all the bikes, the tyre mountain, the piles of kids toys, wood offcuts, bags of cement, half boxes of tiles, broken frames, huge spiders etc

If my garage was that tidy, my wife would be in it all the time and what’d be the point !? !;-)

Grace
    Free Member

Quite cool until you notice the big Porsche crest on the wall… #joeytribiani

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s cleaner than most kitchens.

Mowgli
    Free Member

It’s a nice room and a beautiful car. But it’s not a garage. It looks unused and unloved.

jackolsen
    Free Member

Thanks!

It’s all cleaned up for church in the pictures, but it gets a fair amount of use. It’s messy more than it’s clean, but it goes back to clean very quickly — which is what makes it a pretty good tool for me.

But to each their own. This setup is what works best for me.

siwhite
    Free Member

I picked up two good bits of advise from that website – PIR switches on the ceiling lights, and to build a second shed to store all the cr*p that you don’t need on a daily basis…

andermt
    Free Member

Nice garage Jack. Wish I could get mine that tidy, even once and a while!

whitestone
    Free Member

That garage is bigger than our house!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I think my favourite features are the two hot food stalls on the left hand wall, although sadly they were shut when the photo was taken so I can’t tell exactly what they’re selling – hopefully carvery rolls and fresh donuts.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

kimbers

That’s not a garage?, where’s all the bikes, the tyre mountain, the piles of kids toys, wood offcuts, bags of cement, half boxes of tiles, broken frames, huge spiders etc

If my garage was that tidy, my wife would be in it all the time and what’d be the point !? !;-)

Couldn’t agree more a proper man cave not forgetting a pile of drying muddy riding gear & festering wet northwave boots…

somafunk

Kudos to you for your garage build on such a small budget Jack, and your porsche is not to shabby either 😉

If you check out the garage thread on Garage Journal here you’ll see that Jacks build is small fry compared to some, if you can’t be arsed to read through the first few pages then Jump into page 3 or 4 of this thread and have real garage envy

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

some guys have way too much talent.. well done Jack

whitestone
    Free Member

Not so much talent as loads of space and money! The garage build linked to in somafunk’s post is 1/4 of the size of a football pitch!

RustyMac

Jacks GJ build and Kris Henry’s 44 Bike GJ builds have inspired me for my own garage.

It is not on the scale of either of theirs and far from some of the other monsters on GJ however the unique ideas and clever solutions to their own unique problems has inspired me to re-think the way I can do things.

somafunk

Yeah ^ that’s why i often browse through the garage journal threads, you pick up little tips/tricks that make you consider layout – such as sinking a small parts washer into your workbench.

jools182
    Free Member

That garage is perfect, I’m not sure I would trust myself with it. I’d spill paint or oil and ruin something

If you work hard enough and shake off that Debbie Downer negativity thing, one day you can join us winners in winner land

Some of us work hard and still don’t make much

joshvegas
    Free Member

Jack I’m curious to why you put your work bench where it is. I get that the column can’t move although if its a standalone garage with nothing above i bet you could remive it and stick in a meatier timber.

But the column would be less in the way that the bench or is there plenty of room and the photo makes it look closer than it is?

belugabob
    Free Member

Well, now we know what jackolsen’s vice is. 😉

jackolsen
    Free Member

Thank you!

siwhite, I agree 100%. The motion detectors are one of those things that you don’t think will change your life much, but it’s huge. You never have to think about switching anything on. You never have to think about how many sets of lights you need. You never have to remember to switch lights off, or feel goofy for switching them on just because you’re going in to grab something quickly.

My sensors also happen to switch the lights on whenever I walk past the open door — which is a little like a dog letting you know it would like to go for a walk.

whitestone, the garage is 400 sf (37 square meters?). Not very big, by USA standards. But I know a lot of countries have lower norms. The total cost for the project, not including tools or old Porsche) was $3,500 (2,417 GBP). I bought second-hand and damaged industrial cabinets and rebuilt/repaired them — along with some Ikea butcher block and my own basic carpentry and fabrication efforts. I put the ceramic tile in myself and also worked out how to use a second-hand industrial lift table for the car. (Part of the inspiration came from motorcycle lifts I’d seen.)

thegreatape, the kitchen is a very short walk away, since lot sizes in Los Angeles are small. But the fold-down table would serve pretty well for feeding people.

yorkycsl, I build a shed along my driveway for that stuff. ‘The floor is not a shelf’ was one of my guiding principles in putting this place together. But I agree that there’s something nice about a somewhat-messy space. I just don’t feel I can afford it, in terms of what I need this place to do.

jools182, this place is pretty durable when it comes to spills. I just did the 75K service on my old BMW and my pressure bleeder failed, giving me a huge puddle of brake dust and brake fluid to slip around in. When I spilled a bunch of coolant later, it only added to the fun. But the tile is pretty amazing stuff. I’ve got a video of me hitting it with a sledge hammer. And solvents and (even) dried-on oil-based paint come right off.

joshvegas, the pillar means limited room for the car, there’s no doubt. But I wanted a lot of workbench space. If I started with a clean sheet, I might pull the pillar and raise the ceiling higher in one stroke. But my budget has always been tight, so I make do with what I can.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Perfect.
    And not a Maxxis babes calendar in sight.

TP
    Free Member

Nice garage, I remember first seeing it on this, great car.

LINK

whitestone
    Free Member

I wasn’t joking that much when I said it was bigger than our house – ground plan is 7 metres by 9 metres. I know there’s a lot of space in the US for stuff like garages. We have precisely 0m2 space which means all 8 bikes are *inside* the house.

glasgowdan
    Free Member
    somafunk

Damn, ^ if that garage was £270,000 cheaper i could have got a mortgage on it 😀

colp

Best garage I’ve ever seen was when I bought a motorbike trailer from a chap near Ramsbottom. Had to be at least 10000 square foot. Even had a Porsche inside. I suspect he could be a STW lurker, had a nice collection of bikes too.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Proper garage envy!’ is closed to new replies.