Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Proper fat bloke suitable full suspension bikes?
  • ton

are there any?

any bloaters on here willing to tell us what you ride, and if it works for you?

scaredypants

Nicolais look pretty solid. Never been on one though (and I’m ded slim anyway !)

hot_fiat

Alpine 160: the “Clydesdale 5”.

I’m 100kg in my riding gear, it runs a medium tuned shock at about 2/3 of its maximum pressure. Mojo can wind them up at least one tune setting if required. I love mine.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Orange 5 with loads of air in the forks & shock Ton!
    You said to me that 5’s were great, remember? 😉

wiggles
    Free Member

16+ stone. On a 2015 whyte G150 with plenty of air in the suspension and works great. I’ve never really had a problem with anything as long as it has decent air suspension.

Lummox

Fives been good to me, competed dh and enduro on it laughs off trail centres etc

But I don’t think you’re an orange fan?!

sneakyg4

15 stone + and broke my Five without riding it that hard, totally overrated too.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

15 stone + and broke my Five without riding it that hard, totally overrated too.

You shouldv’e test ridden one 1st, then you would’ve known.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

was over 16st now under 15st and riding a Nicolai Ion 16…

also have a Santa Cruz 5010.

needs a lower leverage ration i find for the larger riders.

You can have a custom Nicolai frame made with a dh length shock in it and only running 150mm travel,My mate has one and he is a big lad 🙂

nickthegreek
    Free Member

Nice and healthy 6ft2, 19st here and I ride a Hammerhead thumper at the mo. Before that an orange st4. Just need to pump the shock to 250-260 and it works great.
    Berms are fantastic, jumps are a bit trickier. Me and gravity have this arrangement you see…..

ton

i would run naked through the center of Leeds, with a bunch of flowers up my arse before i buy a orange. 😀

mcnultycop

118kg on a Canyon Nerve AM,

All fine after a shock tune. Frame snapped after 2 years but based replaced, so all good.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Turner Sultan for me, works fine

run it with Manitou Tower Pro’s, had to email the states to get the special “Clydesdale” spring 😉

somouk
    Free Member

I hover between 16 and 17 stone and rode a camber and stumpy with no issues.

martymac

Cube ams here, shock and forks (revelations) are within the max allowable pressure. No problems at all. Im 21 stone..

ton

just had a good read up on the cube ams 130. looks very nice. also had a read about the liteville 301, which looks like a similar design.

scunny
    Free Member

I’ve seen loads of Cube’s snap. A certaqin bike shop in Leeds has a cube graveyard in it’s workshop.

Bregante

I like the look of them litevilles. They seem to have that solidity I associate with Nicolais but at your height would you not be looking at a 29er?

I like the look of the Banshee Prime myself

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

15&3/4 Stone and my Pitch was fine (apart form the crap Spesh bolted onto it).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Or in the spirit of STW, something I’ve never ridden:

jimjam
    Free Member

You might have issues depending on the shock and the tune. If I remember I had a guy about 17stone on a Monarch rt and he had to run it at the very max psi possible to stop it bottoming out everywhere. I can imagine issues might arrise from this. A firmer compression tune might be in order, or perhaps consider a coil shock as plan b.

ton

I like the look of the Banshee Prime myself

the banshee prime seems to be the Clydesdale bike of choice in the USA at present.
    in the land of blame culture that must say something.

transporter13
    Free Member

Ton. I use a Titus el guapo v3 and it’s spot for me. I’m still heavier than you by some considerable margin.

Your only issue would be finding one big enough

beagle
    Free Member

Revisit your past with a Ventana Ton?

somouk
    Free Member

Where can you buy the banshee from in the UK?

firestarter
    Free Member

Wonder who that is scunny there’s not many bike shops in leeds

bedmaker

For sheer strength the Santa cruz carbon bikes seem to be pretty bombproof. Don’t seem to hear much about pepole breaking them.
    Only issue I’ve heard of was the circular crack which appeared on some early Tallboys.
    Tallboy LTc large I’d be tempted to sell in my shed now 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

104Kgs (and dropping) running a Cove G-Spot without issues, I was recommended a Cove because they tend to run long shocks relative to their travel which means bigger riders are more in the middle of the ideal spring rate – or words to that effect, either way it lovely to ride fast and dirty.

I’ve been heavier and ridden the following FS:

2006 Enduro, 2007 A-Line, 2010 Spicy, 2011 Spicy, Cove Shocker all without any weight related issues – even though my 120Kgs (at worst) weight meant Lapierre wouldn’t honour any frame failure warranty claim.

Live in South Wales, so they’ve all been smashed and bashed all around the trail centres, Brecon etc – BPW, the Alps and Whistler.

My Mate is about the same weight as me (admittedly taller too) and ran a long list of SC, the only one that caused any problems was his Nomad (last of the Alu ones) the linkage would fail every 6 months or so.

The only bike I ever had any real issues with was a 2005 GT I-Drive from Halfords (so probably nearer 2003 in design) it would break every time I rode it.

zero-cool
    Free Member

+1 for Orange Alpine 160 2012. I got mine when I was 105kg and not had any problems (apart from knackering the RP23 Boost Valve after 2 years). It gets abused 3-4 times a week and still going strong.
    And best of all the down tube is no fatter than most other bikes (unlike older Oranges) and it doesn’t have the huge ugly slab sided sided single piece swing arms so isn’t much noisier than other bikes. The newer 27.5 is longer and lighter. And the spec might not be the best but the geometry and handling is spot on.

Tom kP

molgrips
    Free Member

15 stone + and broke my Five without riding it that hard

I rode one for years at 14st. You’re a clumsy oaf.

ads678

I’m 16 stone and ragged (minced) a five around Warncliffe DH tracks for a few years. Never broke anything except some cranks and a brake lever.

How about a canyon Torque EX Ton? My mate has one and although he isn’t a biffer it looks like a beast of a bike. Old skool 26″ wheels though.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Proper fat bloke suitable full suspension bikes?’ is closed to new replies.