• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by ffej.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • "proper" alternative to the 7p ghetto tubeless inflator
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

Trek have gone and put the pop-bottle method into production:

Just In: Bontrager TLR Flash Charger Floor Pump Skips the Compressor for Tubeless Tires

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Airshot have done it for (around) half the price… (out soon, I’ve no involvement, I’ve just seen it in action)

Home

wrecker
    Free Member

the retail of the pump is set at $119.99 which is more than some basic air compressors

Great idea, I like it but $$$ fail. Kind of ruins the point of it, no?

zilog6128

I think the point is that it doesn’t need power & is more portable than a compressor, rather than the cost, is it’s a decent “car park” solution.

Airshot looks good but is half the cost as it’s half the product. You still need a decent track pump.

chakaping
    Free Member
    Northwind

I loved the fire extinguisher someone made on here, keep meaning to get the bits to do one myself. Just remember not to use it to inflate a fire.

Nobby

Mine cost less than a tenner to put together. 🙂

Edit: Yep, the fire extinguisher one.

D0NK

it’s a decent “car park” solution.

yep, I like the idea

Airshot looks good but is half the cost as it’s half the product. You still need a decent track pump

which (probably) 90% of us have already got.

Cost is going to be on the “pretty bloody high” end of scale but if I didn’t already have a rennkompressor (which I’m assured will outlive me) I’d look at the trek jobby – depending on finaly uk price

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

$120?

That’s only barely less than a lidle compressor and a second tank for your car!

And both combintaitons they tried it with were bontranger rims and tyres, both ‘tubeless ready’. I can inflate that sort of combination with a mini-pump!

large418
    Free Member

Why buy one when for 10p and 10 minutes work you can make one. And when the one y ou’ve made breaks you can fix it for about 0p

wrecker
    Free Member

If it goes at £60 – £70 I’d be interested. Any more, and it would make a lot more sense to buy a compressor.

Big-M
    Free Member

I like the airshot idea, I had thought of using an old or out of test pony cylinder to make a similar solution.

offthebrakes
    Free Member

I like the airshot idea too.

In theory I could make one myself, in practice I won’t get round to it.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I think the USP of the Bontrager one is that it works ‘in the field’, if you’re changing tyres at events or whatever then it’s a great idea. If you’re only ever doing it in your garage then it’s of very limited interest!

Bonty stuff does usually convert well to UK prices – so $120 will probably be £70-£80 (rather than the usual £110-£120!), as I can get them at trade prices I’m very tempted!

ffej
    Free Member

The Fire Extinguisher one is genius. Already put my order in with our facilities team to swipe the next out of date one that comes up!

J

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘"proper" alternative to the 7p ghetto tubeless inflator’ is closed to new replies.