Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Proof of ID and couriers.
  • davidjones15
    Free Member

What’s the requirement on proof of ID when a courier makes a delivery?
    Is it just in the T&Cs or is there a legal requirement?
    Thanks in advance.

geoffj

You are asking if a courier should ask for ID before delivering an item?

😆

davidjones15
    Free Member

Hmm, just wondering on the legal position rather than what happens in reality. Collection from the depot needs 2 forms of ID but there is nothing on the web site about deliveries.

jota180
    Free Member

Hmm, just wondering on the legal position

There isn’t one until something goes missing because of it and they get sued

davidjones15
    Free Member

There isn’t one until something goes missing because of it and they get sued

Maybe that’s why I’m asking.

jota180
    Free Member

dunno, is it a quiz or something?

weeksy

Never been asked for ID to recieve a delivery.

druidh
    Free Member

As long as they are delivering it to the correct address, does it matter?

geoffj

With ParcelForce, the ID is to confirm the address – you would hope that this is taken care of by the deliverer being in the right place.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I’m a little more interested in the receiver’s name being signed by someone other than the named receiver, protection against forgery/fraud.

nealglover
    Free Member

I accept and sign for parcels all the time that aren’t addressed to me when working at customers houses.

I’m at the right address, so that’s enough for the courier I guess.

They ask for your surname when signing for a parcel, so you obviously don’t need to be the person it’s addressed to otherwise they wouldn’t need to ask would they.

jota180
    Free Member

I’m a little more interested in the receiver’s name being signed by someone other than the named receiver, protection against forgery/fraud.

Well if whoever signs someone else’s name to receive a parcel does so for gain, it’s fraud/theft by the signer

davidjones15
    Free Member

Well if whoever signs someone else’s name to receive a parcel does so for gain, it’s fraud/theft by the signer

That’s clear, but doesn’t answer the question regarding the obligation of the courier to ask for ID on delivery. It seems a bit strange that if I have received the courier’s calling card and need to collect, I need 2 forms of ID. A straight forward delivery is open to an easy and quite straight forward fraud.
    It also seems very strange that simply knocking on someone’s door to ask if they’ve received my goods by mistake could leave me open for a harrassment charge. 😯

jota180
    Free Member

That’s clear, but doesn’t answer the question regarding the obligation of the courier to ask for ID on delivery

It’d be for someone else to sue and show they didn’t take reasonable precautions.

davidjones15
    Free Member

It’d be for someone else to sue and show they didn’t take reasonable precautions.

Do you do PPI claims too? 😆

phil.w
    Free Member

A straight forward delivery is open to an easy and quite straight forward fraud.

Preceded by not so straight forward breaking and entering at home addresses.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Are you accusing nealglover of breaking and entering?
    From what I’ve seen here the courier has no obligation to check ID. This I see as a huge flaw.

bails

Yeah, like phil W says, to sign for something that wasn’t yours you’d have to know that someone was having something worth nicking delivered on a certain day. You’d also have to know that they were going to be out at the time of the delivery, then you’d have to break into their house in order to open the door for the courier….not really very easy.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’d be a bit miffed if I had to go and get ID when someone comes to my door with a parcel that I have paid for. It’s a stupid idea and I’m bloody glad they don’t.

jota180
    Free Member

This I see as a huge flaw.

It’d only be that if they were getting sued left, right and centre
    Maybe they realise they’re leaving themselves exposed but the gains far outweigh the losses?

tracknicko
    Free Member

or if you lived in communal flats/apartments and were stood in/passing by the post box room when postie arrived you could claim to be the OP and sign for/nick his new phone.

bails

or if you lived in communal flats/apartments and were stood in/passing by the post box room when postie arrived you could claim to be the OP and sign for/nick his new phone.

Yeah, or I could walk up to a postie in the street, ask if he’s got anything promising, and then tell them that I’m the person with the name on the address label of that…

The scenario you’ve described doesn’t need ID, it just needs the postie to do his job and put the parcel into the box, or deliver to the person behind the door of the specific flat, rather than handing it over to a random person in the communal area.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Proof of ID and couriers.’ is closed to new replies.